Author Topic: Lloyd London Mystery  (Read 78851 times)

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyd London Mystery
« Reply #297 on: Thursday 22 June 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
Just found another record (on find my past free week )which adds to the tale of good old John Ballard LLoyd
First name(s)   John Ballard
Last name   Lloyd
Court session year   1874
Birth year   1805
Age   69
Occupation   Traveller
Conviction place   Wandsworth
Conviction date   1874
Source   Wandsworth Prison, Surrey: Register Of Prisoners
hair - grey
eyes  - grey
height - 5'' 9
weight -  13 stone
complexion - fresh
marks - Anchor on right arm, 2 hearts on left arm, skin disease on face
offence - Refusing to work in a workhouse
sentence - 14 days
religion, - latter day saints

this must be my John, I wonder if he got those tattoos in Singapore ?  and always the rebel, refusing to work in the workhouse,  ;D but he was a good weight tho ? obviously not starving ?
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Thursday 22 June 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
Certainly must be him  ;D He showed at the Wandsworth and Clapham Union Workhouse in 1871 didn't he?

At least one death entry in 1877 that could be his in Wandsworth reg area isn't there - John LLOYD aged 70 in Wandsworth 1d/325.

Great to have a description on him.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Thursday 22 June 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
I've taken the plunge and ordered that death cert,  so fingers crossed it might have something to link to him, I would love to work out where he was buried to finally close his story :)
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #300 on: Thursday 22 June 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
This would be really oddly weird!

There is a burial register entry showing for a John Lloyd on a/try who was buried on 8 August 1877. He is showing as aged 78. His residence shows there as the Union Workhouse. His burial place is given as St Mary's Battersea. Can't see a civil entry for this death, just the one we have in 3rd Qrt 1877 with the John Lloyd given as age 70.

I know this cemetery really well. I used to take the children when they were toddlers there as it was a safe place for them to potter and toddle! It is a lovely, small well kept cemetery that I enjoy walking through  ::) Currently I walk through it with our two new puppies  ;D

This is St Mary's Church in the heart of north Battersea by the river https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary%27s_Church,_Battersea  The burial ground for the church is actually not next to it but in a corner by Battersea Rise, close to Wandsworth Common https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Mary%27s_Cemetery,_Wandsworth

I wonder how we could be more certain? Could this be the right JBL? I hope so  :)

Monica

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Friday 23 June 17 10:29 BST (UK) »
That would be really spooky, if for all these years you have been walking past him  :o
I saw that entry for the burial,  I would assume theres a big plot in the grave yard where they put the ex residents of the workhouse, I wonder if theres a way of finding out where ?  and there must be a record of him going in the workhouse in 1877 ?
 :)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Friday 23 June 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
I checked

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Wandsworth/

and the LMA catalogue

but I don't think any records survive for St John's Hill from the 1870's.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: Friday 23 June 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dawnsh  :) thats a shame that theres no records  :(

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Friday 23 June 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
I popped in to the Wandsworth Local History and Heritage Archives located at Battersea Library...as one does... ::)

They hold the microfilms for burials at St Mary's Cemetery (also known as the Battersea Rise Cemetery).

The 1877 burial entry for 8 August 1877 a little different to what showed on A/try but I would say certainly the same entry:

John Lloyd, 70 years (not 78). Died at the Infirmary (likely at the Union Workhouse). Buried at Battersea Rise Cemetery. Undertaker named simply as Boyce. Buried at C Ground, grave number 8225.

Other people show on the page with the same grave number so very likely common ground. What would be good to find would be a map of sections/numbers etc. Unfortunately, the archives didn't have one but I am wondering if WBC http://burials.wandsworth.gov.uk/ may help further in this respect?

Monica

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: Saturday 24 June 17 10:17 BST (UK) »
Monica you are amazing as always :)
70 would make it the correct age too, wish this death cert wold hurry up and arrive, even tho its probably not going to help,  ;D 
i'll have a look at that site , see what I can find :)
and thank you again for going and looking :) xx