Author Topic: Lloyd London Mystery  (Read 78853 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyd London Mystery
« Reply #306 on: Saturday 24 June 17 21:04 BST (UK) »
skin disease on face

That line is possibly for the next prisoner down, not JBL.

There is a brief report of JBL's trial in The Times of 22 January 1874, page 10, column 6.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: Sunday 25 June 17 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun,
had another look at the record, I don't think it could be the chap underneath, its too close to JBL's and theres a large gap before the other one,  unfortunately !  :)
I've had a look at the newspaper report, thank you for finding it !! he still seems to be a bit of a rebel , lol  , and how did you find it? i've searched 'John Ballard Lloyd' and nothing comes up apart from a couple from 1850's ?

Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: Sunday 25 June 17 01:32 BST (UK) »
love how he even jokes about not taking as long as the Tichborne trial, which had lasted 3 years  ;D
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: Sunday 25 June 17 06:03 BST (UK) »
and how did you find it? i've searched 'John Ballard Lloyd' and nothing comes up apart from a couple from 1850's ?

It is in Palmer's Index https://goo.gl/BRWAhu
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: Sunday 25 June 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
ohh I've not seen that before, thanks :)

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: Monday 26 June 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
I popped in to the Wandsworth Local History and Heritage Archives located at Battersea Library...as one does... ::)

They hold the microfilms for burials at St Mary's Cemetery (also known as the Battersea Rise Cemetery).

The 1877 burial entry for 8 August 1877 a little different to what showed on A/try but I would say certainly the same entry:

John Lloyd, 70 years (not 78). Died at the Infirmary (likely at the Union Workhouse). Buried at Battersea Rise Cemetery. Undertaker named simply as Boyce. Buried at C Ground, grave number 8225.

Other people show on the page with the same grave number so very likely common ground. What would be good to find would be a map of sections/numbers etc. Unfortunately, the archives didn't have one but I am wondering if WBC http://burials.wandsworth.gov.uk/ may help further in this respect?

Monica
I emailed them and they have just replied,
they have sent maps with all the grave numbers on but i can't find 8225 in ground C :(

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: Monday 26 June 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
 ;D I got the same email too earlier! I am at work so have my son (who is home on study leave and has followed the story over the years with me!) looking through the attachments also.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: Monday 26 June 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
haha great minds , closest i can find is 8221 in another section,  you'd think there would be a biggish plot if they were using it for people from the workhouse, keep all the paupers together ?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: Monday 26 June 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
He has sent me a text & clip to say he has found it!  Let me get home and have a look at the whole page for that attachment and try to place it within the cemetery. For such a small cemetery, as you can see from the 13 attachments or so, it is packed to the gills. You can also see how they ran out of space quickly there....

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk