Author Topic: Lloyd London Mystery  (Read 78561 times)

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyd London Mystery
« Reply #261 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 22:01 GMT (UK) »
A trip to worcester is not likely to happen so whats my next move, I'm lost already !
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Maybe an email to the librarian as Tony suggest at the Worc Library and Family History Centre?
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Right I shall get onto that  ;D
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline TTT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 04:31 GMT (UK) »
I have asked the Archives what the cost of copying the whole file etc and posting to NZ.
So you can consider taking a breath and awaiting their reply. Unless you know a Worcester city person who could go into the Office and ask.
They may say its closed for access to records until the new office opens in July.
Tony

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I emailed the family history group but they couldn't help  ???

Looks like John Ballard was the mayor of Worcs in 1785 +1786

Offline TTT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Here's my postulation having seen all the info to date and particularly the Will of John Ballard a prominent person in Worcester. He had a Will in which he left money to a married woman and her son JBL (no relationship mentioned to either which is unusual). He also was an Anglican not a Baptist.
Scenario One.
Elizabeth Collins wife of Benjamin Lloyd marriage 1802 became pregnant to John Ballard in 1807 and had a son JBL.
Scenario Two.
Elizabeth mother of JBL was not Elizabeth Collins of Benjamin Lloyd marriage of 1802 but was single lady who got pregnant to JB in 1807 and was married off to a Benjamin Lloyd whose marriage certificate is not yet to hand.

In both scenarios there were no other JB children nor were there any Benjamin Lloyd children.

It is very very rare that a substantial portion of a Will is left to a married person whose relationship to the deceased is not specified/stated in the Will.
I suggest that Elizabeth after getting pregnant to JB married Benjamin Lloyd for convienience and protection for both her and the fathers name.
Benjamin left and went to live in Heligoland/Russia soon after.
What is a good clue is that JB left money also to JBL via Elizabeth.
It was common to leave a few $ to staff but that relationship was always stated. JBL was christened in the Anglican church not a Baptist chapel of which the Lloyds of Hanley Castle were strong members.
Thus in either scenario JBL has no Lloyd blood.
Happy to bat this around, look forward to hearing from all.
Tony

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 23:26 GMT (UK) »
In that case, John Ballard must have been the father of all Mary Harris's children too even the ones that hadn't been born yet ,and Sarah Weavers !  ;D

the will in brief,
Elizabeth gets 1200. JBL gets 800
2000, to  Mary Harris wife of Mr Harris , ships carpenter, and 1000, her son and 500  daughter and 500 to any other children she had.
then Elizabeth get another 100, Mary gets 300, 600 to the late Sarah weavers children,
then about another 30 random people get a few hundred apeice, then Elizabeth gets to share the profits and rents of a house with his brothers servant ?

other points  re baptism /christening
Commissioner Joshua Evans states that JBL's father was a Presbyterian and Elizabeth had JBL re done in 1817 to be church of England
JBL says he is due revisionary interest from the 1200 from his grandfathers will

Offline TTT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Thursday 19 January 12 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Funny you should say that as Mrs Harris's son John Byron was actually John Ballard Byron!

Re the religion. If JBL's father was a Presbytarian then it would appear that it was not a Hanley Castle Lloyd related to my lot as they were all baptists!
Tony

Offline TTT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Thursday 19 January 12 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Just a point re the JB legacies. Elizabeth only got the use of the 1200pounds for her life and upon her decease it was to pass to her son JBL along with other legacies for JBL.
As you say "JBL says he is due revisionary interest from the 1200 from his grandfathers will ".
As we know Benjamin Lloyd of Hanley Castle did not die until 1834 aged 90years so cant be the grandfather in question.
Tony