Author Topic: Does anyone know the graveyard at Leeds Rd, Bradford?  (Read 3088 times)

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Does anyone know the graveyard at Leeds Rd, Bradford?
« on: Tuesday 04 August 09 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was very excited to learn that my husbands ancestor was buried at St Mary's Catholic Church, at Leeds Road, Bradford (near St Peter's school).

There have been a few complaints apparently that the graveyard is in a bad state and not many stones have survived.  Is there anyone that can tell me anything further about the graveyard.

I am not confident in finding any gravestone, as the burial was in 1875, but you never know :)

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know the graveyard at Leeds Rd, Bradford?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath,

I think Bradford FHS might have a booklet with the MI's. Long time since I had any contact with them , try Googling Bod-Kin - the name of their magazine.
The last address I have is -

Geoff Birkenshaw
168 Rooley Lane
Bankfoot
Bradford
BD5 8JN

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 August 09 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your reply and information.  Found the Bradford FHS website and they do not have a booklet for St Mary's.

Have spoken to the Catholic Archives in Leeds, whom were very helpful, but sadly no records have survived and apparently part of the graveyard has been incorporated into St Peter's school and although a few gravestones have survived, they are in a very 'sorry' state.

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath here's the next option
a vagrant chap called Blackburn ( I think ) went round lots of graveyards in Bradford and surrounding areas logging the MIs. Bradford Library have copies of his notebooks and may be willing to do a search for you. I know he did the MI's for Bradford Cathedral which is next door.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline General Dogsbody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Does this link help?

http://www.parishofstmarybradford.co.uk/

also...some photographs on the Geograph web site, a great resource for family historians

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=26393555&page=2

GREENHOUGH, Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire; LISTER, Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire; TILLOTSON,Colne, Lancashire

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the links, much appreciated.

Kath

Offline misterandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 December 18 07:45 GMT (UK) »
I do have the records for the Cemetery on Leeds Road. The last burial was in 1907.

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 December 18 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi misterandy,

Would it be at all possible, to see if there is Peter McDonald, he died on the 5th November 1875.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kath

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 December 18 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Your best bet is contact Bradford local studies library as they hold most of the MI's for Bradford Yorkshire and will know the situation of St Peter's Church Leeds road graveyard head/flat stone epitaphs

https://www.bradford.gov.uk/libraries/find-your-local-library/local-studies-library/

Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth