Author Topic: Alexander McKenzie 1827, father Donald, Latheron.  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander McKenzie 1827, father Donald, Latheron.
« on: Wednesday 05 August 09 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  Can anyone shed any light on the McKenzie family from Latheron, Caithness?
 We have been trying to establish the birth of my gggrandfather Alexander McKenzie...in order to discover his death and burial place here in Australia.  We think that his father was possibly Donald McKenzie and Catherine Munro...and for ages we have been under the impression of him having been born at Golspie, but we can find no evidence of this.  We have changed direction in our search, and have found on IGI ( I know this is sometimes unreliable), the birth of an Alexander McKenzie 'christened Feb 1 1827, son of Donald, both of Latheron'.  We suspect that our Alexander is the Alexander who is listed as a patient at the Beechworth Asylum here in Victoria, as known descendants lived in the area. The hospital records list this man as having been born in 'Scotland' and the son of Donald/Catherine Munro.  Another in-mate is a Hector McKenzie, and we suspect that this man is Alexander's brother.  If we can establish a birth date and place for these men, we may be able to confirm that our Asylum fellows are the same people.
We have the marriage certificate of our Alexander to Margaret Jane Tully at Loth in1854...so we think that we have the right area.    Any ideas?
Many thanks
Rap

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McKenzie 1827, father Donald, Latheron.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Rap

There is certainly an 1851 census entry that could fit for Alexander in Loth:

Alexr MacKenzie, 23, ploughman b. Latheron Caithness
Address: Culgower House, Loth Suntherland

I can't see a Hector Mckenzie (searching as MacK* or McK*) b. Latheron that could connect to Alexander though in 1851.

You can check the 1841 census on http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl It has 100% coverage of Caithness for this year (just make sure you select the right census year on the box at the top).

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McKenzie 1827, father Donald, Latheron.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 August 09 02:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Monica!!...that looks very promising for our Alexander.  I'll have a good look through FreeCen and see what I can find.(I haven't seen this site before!!)  We seem to be chasing after the chicken AND the egg on this one!
Cheers!  Rap