Author Topic: corn mill, mayglass,WEXFORD  (Read 18398 times)

Offline peterwestpest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
corn mill, mayglass,WEXFORD
« on: Wednesday 05 August 09 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi looking for any info on a ruined corn mill its owners and workers. The owner listed in griffiths valuation is john fortune with other names at the address such as Thomas grady, Robert staunton, Thomas staunton. The land lord for the whole area was an E.M Daniels. The mill is in gardamus great, mayglass, wexford.

Offline bluephil54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: corn mill, mayglass,WEXFORD
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 August 10 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hello peterwestpest,
                                        I have just stumbled across this website and saw your post about the Corn Mill. I live in Liverpool but have been researching my Dads Family History for about 3 years now. My surname is O'Grady,and my Grt Grandfather and his Family,including my Grandfather,lived in a Cottage in Mayglass........House number 1 Glebe. The reason I am mailing you is to ask if you know any info at all about the names you mention to do with the Mill ? My Grt Grandfathers name was Richard Grady........I think he had 2 brothers named John Grady and Thomas Grady ! Also Richards' Parents names were Thomas Grady and his wife was named Catherine Staunton.......I believe they came from a place called Ballycapogue ? So the names you mention to do with the history of the Mill are names which I think will be related to me and I would be very grateful if you could help with any info you might have or if you know of anyone still living in Mayglass or nearby who maybe able to help. John Grady was I think actually born in Gardimus.
                                           Hope to hear from you soon.
                                                         Take Care & Be Good.
                                                                     Phil O'Grady

Offline peterwestpest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 August 10 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi phil, I since found out that the mill im researching is not the mill john fortune owned but is down the road from his mill and was owned by patrick connors. Found Thomas Grady in  *Griffiths valuation of ireland* www.askaboutireland.ie~griffiths   He rented land off John Fortune who rented the land off Edward Maxwell Daniell who owned the whole of mayglass.There was a Thomas and Robert Staunton who owned land just oposite the mill im researching so they were probably related to Caterine Staunton. In the 1911 census of ireland which is fully searchable at WWW.census.nationalarchives.ie theres loads of gradys in a house in Glebe mayglass  Richard and Alice Grady age 56 and 57, three children anne john and kathrein aged 22 18 and 15. On the national archives site you can search the buildings forms in the census and it tells you what  houses and out buildings there where. Good luck with your research.

Offline Gardamus

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 September 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I am from Gardamus - there are two mills in Gardamus. The one down the lane at Fortunes was a corn mill. How do I know? My sister lives there. The last Fortune was Thomas, now dead. His branch of the family died with him, he was married to my aunt Statia - they had no children. The farm was bought from Thomas before he married my aunt later in life. My sister married the son of the man who bought Fortunes of Gardamus.This mill was on the river which flows down into Mayglass.
The second mill in Gardamus is on a different river and this one was known locally as "The Tuck Mill". This stream is on the townland border on the Moor road.
Johnny Fortune - Thomas Fortunes father was a bit of an inventor and he had the waterwheel rigged up to provide electricity. He provided a service to the locals charging the wet batteries for the wireless sets. He also had the Pierces Fan for the fireplace driven by an electric motor. This motor was hidden behind the fan and a local man recalls, as a small boy, bringing down a wet battery to be charged to Johnny and seeing the fan turning on its own. He got an shock thinking that a ghost was turning the fan, dropped the battery - which broke and legged it out of there!
Jacob Poole a Quaker from Taghmon tried to set up flax growing in the locality in the early 19th Century I think the Tuck Mill was involved in this industry which failed to flourish.
My great-grandfather was a nephew of Thomas Staunton so my one of my great-great grandmothers was a Staunton I think. My great-grandmother Margaret died in May 1900 and my grandfather Thomas with his only brother Michael and his widowed father Andrew came to live in Stauntons of Gardamus sometime after - certainly before 1911. Stauntons of Gardamus then passed into our family. The mill in Fortunes has a sad history as a local man fell into the mill race and was crushed by the millwheel and died.

Offline peterwestpest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 September 10 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for the info , very interesting. I also live in Gardamus at the site of an old watermill owned by Patrick Connor , just down the road from john fortunes mill. Tuck mill is in a different townland than gardamus, i think its sleedagh.Thanks for the info anyway , thanks peter.

Offline peterwestpest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
The mill in Griffith’s valuation was owned by,Landlord Captain Edward Maxwell Daniell, The Daniell’s, a wealthy English family with links to the east India Company.
He is listed as owning 1252 acres in wexford. Consisting of many  of the town lands surrounding Gardamus great. His farther was James Evance Daniell who married Lucy Butler daughter of Peregrine Butler.

The mill was leased to Patrick Connor. {Source Griffith’s valuation}1853.
The mill is marked as a corn mill on 1829-1842O.S maps.
The mill is marked as ruined on 1897-1913 O.S maps.

Offline peterwestpest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 October 12 15:12 BST (UK) »
Edward Maxwell Daniell owned 12  of the townlands of mayglass including BALLYDOYLE ,BUSHERSTOWN, CHURCHLANDS, CORNERSTOWN, CREGG, DAMPTOWN, GARDAMUS GREAT, GARDAMUS LITTLE,  LAMBERTSTOWN, MACKENSTOWN, MIDDLETOWN, WOODTOWN. Consisting of 1252 acres. His farther was James Evance Daniell. born 1744.

These townlands coincide with a lease for the same townlands held by REV Edmund Ferrers
In a document dated 1824
 'A statement of lands held by the church of Ireland'  1824 
 http://eppi.dippam.ac.uk/pdf1/12076.pdf
These exact same town-lands are mentioned in this document .
QUOTE;
    A Return of the Denominations held by lease for 21 years, under the lord bishop of leighlin and ferns, by Rev Edmund Ferrers; all arable and pasture.
Maglass and the lands about the church of Maglass, Busherstown, Magnestown, Gillins Parks,  Woodtown,  Lambertstown,   Great and Little Gardrums,  Sherwood, Haggard,  Serchertown Parks,  Cregg, Ballydoyle,  Dampstown,  Cornelstown and Granish,  situate in the parish of Maglass; and Havenstown,  situate in the parish of Kilmannon,  all in the county of Wexford;
containing in the whole -------865 A--2 R-----21-P
 17TH  MARCH 1824. 
 William Harvey, Agent and  Receiver to the Rev. Edmund  FERRERS

Offline peterwestpest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 October 12 14:00 BST (UK) »
              Other Landlords of Mayglass
 at the time of griffiths Valuation of ireland  1853.
John barrington                             Ballycogly
Edward Maxwell Daniell                                     Ballydoyle
Hamilton K.G Morgan                      Bog, east
Hamilton K.G Morgan                      Bog, west   
Charles a walker                             Braestown 
 Edward Maxwell Daniell                                    Busherstown
 Edward Maxwell Daniell                                     Churchlands
Charles A  Walker .                           Cloon
Hamilton K.G Morgan                       Coalspit
John Lloyd                                       Cooloughter
Edward Maxwell Daniell                                       Cornerstown
Charles a walker                             Courtlands, east
Charles a walker                             Courtlands, west
Edward Maxwell Danielll                                         Cregg
John Lloyd                                         Crosstown
John Harvey                                       Cubslough
Edward Maxwell Daniell                                        Damptown
Charles a walker                                Fuddletown
Edward Maxwell Daniell                                        Gardamus, great
Edward Maxwell Daniell                                       Gardamus, little
REV George Ross.                               Glebe
Edward Maxwell Daniell                                           Granisk
John Harvey                                        Haggardstown             
John Harvey                                        Hardygregan             
Edward Maxwell Daniell                                          Lambertsown   
In fee                                                   Leachestown
 Charles a walker                                 Loughgunnen Great
Charles a walker                                   Loughgunnen Little
 Edward Maxwell Daniell                                          Makenstown 
Edward Maxwell Daniell                                            Middletown
John Jeffers                                           Moortown
John Harvey                                    Mountpleasant   or Tagunnan               
RPS  W.M   Hobbs                            Petitstown
Hamilton K.G Morgan                         Pollwitch
Christopher Jeffers                              Randalstown
John Fitzgerald                                    Sherwood
John Nunn                                             Silverspring
Edward Maxwell Daniell                                              Woodtown   

Offline peterwestpest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 October 12 15:01 BST (UK) »
Gardamus;
This document shows  Devereux  name in records relating to Gardamus

1538 Lease by John...Bishop Of Ferns...to PatrickfitzPatrick Walle... in le Gardrum, Parish of Maglass        colc Papers 3

1596 Upper Garderums {Alex Dewrox of Maygasse}        colc Papers 8

1655  Great Gardimus {Alex Devereux OR bishops quere} 3a Little Gardimus                                                                           DS[ superimp}

1660 Great Gardemus {Alex Devereux or Bishops Quere } 4a Little gardemus.

1685 Gardimus

1770 Great and Little Gardrums{ Bishop of Ferns deed 291.146.190538

1752.  Radford Driscoll little Gardrums   deed 156.414.106417.

1813 Gardamus Cross-- Cliffe Estate map

1813 Gardamus Cross-- Cliffe Estate map

1830 Lower Guardamas

1840 Gardamus   ---   Bs, J . Lloyd, W.walshe

1840 Gardimas, Gardoms, Great Gardimus, Great Gardemus,             Garda  mus  'pleasant field or garden.

GEARRDHOIM  MOR            'SHORT-RIDGE, BIG.'

GEARRDHOIM  BEAG           'SHORT RIDGE, LITTLE'

The attachments show there is more information relating to gardamus on a website called,  JSTOR, which you can only access through a participating institution only.
Also there are references to Gardamus in the    'COLC'  papers  anyone know what they are colchester?