Author Topic: corn mill, mayglass,WEXFORD  (Read 15241 times)

Offline peterwestpest

  • RootsChat Extra
  • **
  • Posts: 44
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: corn mill, mayglass,WEXFORD
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 October 12 16:09 BST (UK) »
Colclough Papers;

(6)
(AH) Copy dated 1559 of lease by John [Purcell], Bishop of Ferns and the
Dean and Chapter of Ferns to Patrick FitzPatrick Walle of lands in parish
of Maglas [Mayglass, co. Wexford], 22 February 1538. With translation
[c. 1800].
22 February 1538

(15)
(AH) Bond of Alexander Dewrox of Maglasse, co. Wexford and Michael
Keatinge of Baldwinstown, co. Wexford to Thomas Colclaughe of
Tyntyrne, Knt. for conveyance of lands in co. Wexford.
17 April 1596

8
(AH) Fee farm grant, with seal, by Alexander Devereux, Bishop of Ferns
and the Dean and Chapter of Ferns to James Deverous of Maglas
[Mayglass, co. Wexford), gent., of land in the cantred of Shelbirne, co.
Wexford.



Offline peterwestpest

  • RootsChat Extra
  • **
  • Posts: 44
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: corn mill, mayglass,WEXFORD
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 October 12 21:34 BST (UK) »
The Gentlemen of Fotherde.
George Chevers of Killiane, Gent.; Robert Esmond of Johnestone, Gent.; Hugh Rochford of Tagomane, Gent.; Manton Synot of Ballebrennan; Robert Synot of Balehorran, Gent.; Marten Cod of Castletowne; James Cod of Baleenfane, Gent.; Jasper Codd of Cloess; John Stafford of Fursetime, Gent.; John Walshe of Polranctan, Gent.; William Hane of the Hill, Gent.; William Hane of the Sladde, Gent.; Nicholas Walshe of the Buss; John Turner of Belleushen, Gent.; Simon Synott of Ballegerce; Jesper Synot of Rathdownny, Gent.;(( Gent.JOHN DEVROUX MAGLASS}] Patrick Witty of Balmacussen; James Butler of Butlerstoune; Edward Ketinge of Balemakeyan; Mathew Sigen of Sigenstoune, Gent.; Richard Hare of Redestoune, Gent.; Walter Frinss of Baletorie, Gent.; William Symotte of the Growgane, Gent.; John Esmonde of Rathlonnane, Gent.; Walter Hare of Harestoune; Patrick FitzNicoll of Balecowanne; Richard Rochford of Petettestoune; John Hoar of Ionoclestoune; Paul Ketinge of Balebeg Philip Wadinge of Asoalye; Henry Synot of Gracekyrock Derraigh O'Dryeane of Remotestoun; Nicholas White of Crommer; Nicholas Synot of Ballohell; James Synot of the Berlagh; Nicholas Codd of Balmakeyrie; James Stafford of the Gragene.

The Gentlemen of the Barony of Bargie.
Maurice FitzHarvie of Kilkevan; John FitzNicholl of Baleharthie; James Ketinge of Baldenestoune; Hamond Chevers of Balesestene; William Rowseter of Tomger; Alexander Ketinge of Rosselletoune; Walter Nevell of Tallokenaye; John Barrie of Bariestoune; Alexander Devroux of the Woodgrage; Walter Devrox of Caregeschurche; Richard Broune of the Holdhall; Nicholas Broune of Rathronnarie; Walter Broune of Gragrobben; Tibald Roche of Killmannane; Nicholas Wittie of Gentestoune; Patrick Prendergast of Sanshill; Michael Hare of the Blackhall; Marcus Devroux of Coskayll.

"The description of Ireland, and the state thereof as it is at this present in anno 1598 :

http://archive.org/stream/descriptionofire00hogauoft/descriptionofire00hogauoft_djvu.txt

Offline peterwestpest

  • RootsChat Extra
  • **
  • Posts: 44
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: corn mill, mayglass,WEXFORD
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 October 12 17:14 BST (UK) »
Charles Walker owned six of the town-lands of Mayglass.
Loughgunnen Great
Loughgeunnen little
Fuddletown
braestown
Courtlands west
Courtlands west

 Walker’s family originated in Cheshire, whence they migrated to Ireland in the seventeenth century. His great-grandfather Peter Walker acquired the Wexford property by marriage. Peter’s son Charles Walker, a barrister, was an Irish master in chancery from 1754 until his death in 1790, when he was succeeded in that post by his eldest son Thomas Walker, this Member’s father, who held it until 1806. Charles Arthur Walker, whose younger brother Thomas entered the army, was educated for the bar, but was not called. At the general election of 1831 he stood for the local borough of Wexford as a ‘liberal’ but not a ‘revolutionary’ reformer having, so he claimed, rejected earlier invitations to do so because he was ‘of retired habits [and] attached to country pursuits’. The strength of feeling in favour of the Grey ministry’s reform bills frightened off the sitting Member and Walker was returned unopposed, calling on his fellow Protestants to unite with Catholics in support of reform and the redress of Irish grievances.1


Offline peterwestpest

  • RootsChat Extra
  • **
  • Posts: 44
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: corn mill, mayglass,WEXFORD
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 October 12 18:12 BST (UK) »
John Barrington owned Ballycogly townland in the Griffiths Valuation of Ireland 1853.

The Barringtons of Ballycogley, including Ballycogley Castle and Tower House, both near Tacumshin (or Tacumshane) Lake, sprang from Major Nicholas, younger son to Thomas "Kill-All", and himself three times Mayor of Wexford. Those of Lambstown originated with his nephew, another Nicholas, fourth son to Thomas, elder son and successor to "Kill-All".

BARRINGTON, JOHN / ---

John Barrington was born in or about 1746 or 1747 at Ballycogley Townland, Mayglass Parish, Forth Barony, Wexford County, Leinster Province, Ireland, son to Nicholas Barrington and Anne ---, (to whom refer); allegedly died for his faith in Ireland, probably in 1798 in consequence of the County Wexford Rising. His wife --- allegedly died for her faith in Ireland, probably in 1798 in consequence of the County Wexford Rising. This couple begat issue: (1) Nicholas Barrington, born in or about 1772 or 1773 at Ballycogley Townland, Mayglass Parish, Forth Barony, Wexford County, Leinster Province, Ireland; (2) William Barrington, born in or about 1775 or 1776 at Ballycogley Townland, Mayglass Parish, Forth Barony, Wexford County, Leinster Province, Ireland, died 13 September 1847 in Canada East, buried 14 September 1847 probably at or near Ormstown, Ste. Martine Parish, Beauharnois County, First Division, Beauharnois District, Canada East, who married in or about 1806 or 1807 at Wexford County, Leinster Province, Ireland, Esther Britton; (3) John Barrington, born in or about 1787 or 1788 in Ireland, died 24 August 1856 at or near Ormstown, Ste. Martine Parish, Châteauguay County, Canada East, buried 26 August 1856, who married in 1817 at or near Longueuil, St. Antoine de Longueuil Parish, Montréal District, Lower Canada, Elizabeth Earl; (4) Thomas Barrington, born in or about 1790 or 1791 at Wexford County, Leinster Province, Ireland, died 16 May 1866 probably at St. Louis de Gonzague Parish, Beauharnois County, Canada East, buried 18 May 1866 at or near Ormstown, St. Malachie Parish, Châteauguay County, Canada East who married 9 March 1822 at Montréal, Montréal District, Lower Canada, Susannah Elizabeth Murray; (5) James Barrington, born in or about 1791 or 1792 at Wexford County, Leinster Province, Ireland, died unmarried 16 January 1873 in Québec, buried 18 January 1873.

http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~database/BARRINGTON.htm

Offline peterwestpest

  • RootsChat Extra
  • **
  • Posts: 44
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: corn mill, mayglass,WEXFORD
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 October 12 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hamilton Knox Grogan Morgan owned four of the town-lands of Mayglass.

Bog East
Bog West
Coalspit
Pollwitch

Hamilton Knox Grogan Morgan
The principal Landlord was Hamilton K.G.Morgan.[13] Ballinacoolamore formed part of what was known as ‘Lords Monck’s Estate’. Hamilton Knox Grogan Morgan was a descendant of the Grogan’s of Johnstown Castle. The family’s property was extensive and widely scattered in tracts of moderate size throughout the county. In 1877, the family estate in Co. Wexford amounted to 9,413 acres.

The  townland of Ballinacoolamore was forfeited by Thomas Esmonde in the Cromellian Settlement, 1655. The townland at the time is recorded as containing 242 acres. The Grogans aquired Ballinacoolamore (Ballinacolly) when the Esmonde Estates were forfeited, after the Cromwellian Wars.

STATEMENT OF THE NUMBER OF ACRES BELONGING TO THE CHURCH IN IRELAND;
 A Return of the number of acres held by the representatives of the late John Knox Grogan, Esq.
in the county of Wexford.
East and West Maglass ---219 a.
1 r.
20 p.

 

Offline peterwestpest

  • RootsChat Extra
  • **
  • Posts: 44
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: corn mill, mayglass,WEXFORD
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 October 12 18:51 BST (UK) »
 The changing pattern of land ownership in Ireland.

In 1750, the population of Ireland was 2.5 million. By 1804 the population had risen to 5.4 million. Of this an estimated 8,000 to 10,000 were landed proprietors.

Between 1750 and 1815, subletting, subdivision and long leases were the norm. Long leases had prevented landlords from increasing rents during this period. Moreover, agricultural prices rose steeply during the same period.

By the beginning of the 19th century leases of 21 and 31 years were common. However, 1815 saw a fall in the price of corn and the beginning of a period of general agricultural depression.

By 1831, the population had increased to 6,801,827 persons. The increased demand for land, increased rents to an extent not warranted by falling agricultural prices. By 1841 the population had increased to 8.2 million.

During this period the following classification applied to agricultural holdings in general.

Classification

Holding---  greater than 15 acres----- Large farmer.

Holding ----- 5-15 acres              ------ Small Farmer

Holding  ---- less than 5 acres  ------   Cottiers

Agricultural--   Labourers  ---------       Landless

Between 1846 and 1853 the country saw approximately 70,000 evictions and in 1849 an approximate rental value of £2,000,000 (from a total of £13 million) was under the control of the Court of Equity. Large numbers of landlords became insolvent and the middleman system collapsed.

Between 1850 and 1880, 5,000,000 acres changed hands, the biggest transfer taking place between 1850 and 1855.   

Between 1885 and 1891, approximately £10,000,000 was advanced to tenants to become purchasers. 1870 to 1896 saw the purchase of 73,805 holdings, a total of 2.5 million acres for £24.18 million. This represented 10% of the total acreage.

The Wyndnam Act, 1909 would result in a revolutionary change in land ownership. By 1922, 9,459 estates, 270,396 holdings or 9 million acres were sold under these land acts for £85.9 million.

However this period did not see the end of landlordism in Ireland. In 1923, over 3,000,000 acres were still in landlord ownership e.g. the Earl of Courtown, having 13,000 acres in Co. Wexford.

The Free State Land Act,1923, called for all untenanted land in congested areas to be vested in the Land Commission. This was largely ineffective. In 1931 a new land act was passes to speed up the process started by the 1923 act. By the late 1930’s the Free State land acts had transferred 3.1 million acres or 113,800 holdings, for £20.8 million.
   



 


   



Offline peterwestpest

  • RootsChat Extra
  • **
  • Posts: 44
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: corn mill, mayglass,WEXFORD
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 October 12 19:15 BST (UK) »
Most common surnames in Mayglass in 1853
 
Surname                 Households
Walsh                16
Murphy                15
Furlong                11
Whitty                10
Codd                  6
Moyler                  6
Ronan                  6
Bolger                  5
Doyle                  5
McCabe                  5

Offline peterwestpest

  • RootsChat Extra
  • **
  • Posts: 44
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: corn mill, mayglass,WEXFORD
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 October 12 21:19 BST (UK) »
                                    Maglass Parish. 

                      The Civil Survey was begun in June, 1654


Proprietors                                                                                   Townland

Richard Wadding              ---                                           Leaches Towne

Wm Rosseter Wadding and Walter Nutt Irish Papists  North Randallstowne

Richard Wadding                 ----                                               Coullagher

Richard Whittee                     -----                    South Randallstowne           

Garr Browne and Richard Wadding Pt of ----              NorthRandallstowne

Richard Wadding            ------                                            pt of Maglas

John Devereux               ----                                                      Woodtowne

Richard Wadding             ---------                                              BraesTowne

Gleabe

Garret Hay                                                                             Hardigragan

Hugh Rochford                                                                        Tagunane

Rob?t Hey                                                                          Great Loghganon

Hugh Rochford                                                                     LittleLoghganon

Hugh Rochford                                                                       Ballydoyle

Hugh Rochford                                                                      1b in Maglasse

Hugh Rochford                                                                       Granuske

Hugh Rochford                                                                        Cornelstowne

Hugh Rochford                                                                       Damtowne

Hugh Rochford                                                Several lpeeles of Maglasse

Hugh Rochford                                                                   The sixty acres

Hugh Rochford                                                                     Sherewood

Hugh Rochford                                                                   Mackinstowne

Hugh Rochford                                                                     Lamerstowne

Hugh Rochford                                                                   Busherstowne

Hugh Rochford                                                                   11b The same

Hugh Rochford                                                                   Clonne

Hugh Rochford                                                                   Pettitts Towne

Alexander Devereux or Bishops Quaere                           Great Gardemus

Wm Russell                                                            pt Leassee Grage Towne

WM Russell                                                                       Little Gardemus

Walter Nutts Ir Pap                                                     Nutts Randlestowne

http://www.irishmanuscripts.ie/digital/The%20Civil%20Survey%201654%20Co%20Wexford%20Volume%20IX/data/search.xml


http://phaedrus.scss.tcd.ie/1641/items/show/39127     Hugh rochford.

Offline peterwestpest

  • RootsChat Extra
  • **
  • Posts: 44
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: corn mill, mayglass,WEXFORD
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 October 12 22:18 BST (UK) »
Sledagh watermill dates back to 1522.

1522.    Alexander Devereux was abbot, and
by deed dated 10th May, 1542, he granted to
Stephen Devereux tlic town of Ijuttlestoun,
the villages of Little llagart and Great
llagart, Ballygow and Ballycorcuu, with all
the towns, lands, &c., from tlie water of tlie
great moor of Glonard to that of the bislio[)'a
lands, tlience to that which runiicLli to Duii-
gulph, and so on to the iHiuiimj.i of Keuuagh
and Ballyrjiotby, within the Barony of Dun-
brodv, for the full term of 01 years, at the
annual rent of 22 uiurcs (LSls. 4d.). lie
leased, in 1540, to his brother, James
Devereux,*' and to his cousins, Philip and
William Devereux, almost all his fee lands
at simill rents, including the lands of Beg-
Erin, Ballygeary, and Sledagh, with a water
mill thereon, for ever.*' He was also seised
of Maglas, and in 155i5 granted it and other
lands to James and John Devereux. It has
been stated by some that the bishoj) nnirried,
about 1540, Anne, daughter of D. Keatinge,
Esq., and had the two sons, James and John,

http://www.archive.org/details/accountofanglonoOOredm