Author Topic: A new site i found Might come in use !!  (Read 3868 times)

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
A new site i found Might come in use !!
« on: Tuesday 01 March 05 14:19 GMT (UK) »
This site may help if stuck with welsh take a look !!

Welsh Words and Phrases on Gravestones,,

http://home.clara.net/wfha/wales/welsh-phrases.htm

Hope it helps  :D

God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: A new site i found Might come in use !!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 March 05 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that link Graceland ;D 

I'm going to print the details off to take with me when I'm going round the graveyards.

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 March 05 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mr G!!

Should come in handy with the JONESes and EVANS es in Carmarthen that I have just rashly agreed to research!!

What's the Welsh for "who's the daddy"???  ??? ;D ;D

Arranroots
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 March 05 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Should come in handy with the JONESes and EVANS es in Carmarthen that I have just rashly agreed to research!!

Excellent - can you find mine while your at it? I have both Jones and Evans in CMN - shouldn't be difficult - first names are John and they are farmers  8)

What's the Welsh for "who's the daddy"???  ??? ;D ;D

Now, now! don't think you'll find that on a head stone, but you'll probably come across the patronymic naming system, with the attached nickname "Jones the dad" or similar. A bit like "uncle dad" in other rural areas. ;D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 March 05 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hey D!!

first names are John and they are farmers 

Phew! Thought we might be related there for a moment!  "Mine" are my sister-in-laws,

Rachel JONES dau of Eliz and David a woollen mill man ?Saron/  Llandysul, born c 1890

David John EVANS son of Rachel and David, something to do with shoe mending (steady!!  ;D), born c 1875

My Welsh is confined to what I learned at college, useful phrases like "where are my crisps?" and "I like coffee".  Not usually found on gravestones either!

Foresters speak a version of Welsh all their own though, I believe.  ;D

Arranroots
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)