Author Topic: missing marriage in kingsley maybe?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline skyblue_scarlet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
missing marriage in kingsley maybe?
« on: Thursday 06 August 09 15:30 BST (UK) »
hi ive been trying to track down a marriage between william chippingdale and felis homersley some time around 1635 with no luck... i found a chancery bill that mentions the marriage but doenst say where or when exactly but this is dated feb 1635 so it cant have been too long before that i dont think, kingsley is where felis was supposedly baptised so im hoping it is maybe here. although william is not from this county and i dont know where felis was living at the time she met william.. i know its a bit of a long shot but i cant find it anywhere.

thanks laura
One name study of Chippindale, Chippendale, Chippingdale & any other variant in the UK

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: missing marriage in kingsley maybe?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 18 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Laura, I was wondering if you have had any luck with this search yet. We are a group of Chippindall descendants in Australia trying to track this marriage. We thought Felis might have been William's second wife, that he might first have been married to Mabel Waddington, and the marriage might have come after Mabel died in 1644. But that would mean the Chancery case would have had to be long-running with the details of William's marriage introduced well after the 1635 commencement date. In an earlier post you mentioned a 1635 letter. Was this something different or the Chancery case? The problems with our "two wives" theory is that the Chancery document said William married Felis without his father's permission, and as far as we know William's father John died in 1640 so William and Felis must have married before then. We have had quite a deal of success in tracing the Chippindall line back to George Chippingdale's will in 1579, in which he says despairingly of one of his sons, "Please God that Edward Chippingdale reform his lewde living", but we need to get William's marriage or marriages sorted out or we risk breaking that link. Any help gratefully received, Geoff