Author Topic: red deer alberta births 1914  (Read 7636 times)

Offline misty13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: red deer alberta births 1914
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 August 09 22:27 BST (UK) »
debbie ----how do i access the info in the red deer newspaper for ross piper's version of events?  could not find it.  thanks so much for all you are doing to help in this mystery search

gwen

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 August 09 22:38 BST (UK) »
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/w/a/l/Marilyn-Jeanne-Walton/index.html
Someone's online family tree which has a photo of Lynn Ross Piper in his WWI uniform and his wife Harriet Lydia Piper Cunningham (must be a second marriage).  I didn't download the activex controller and therefore can't access the entire tree.  Must be descended from Lynn Ross's daughter Verna.

To get Lynn Ross' version of events go to reply #7 and click on the first link.  That takes you to a search page of 5 results.  The second one from the bottom, Supreme Court Sittings for March 4, 1914 is where his version is.  It is at the bottom of the first column.

Debbie

Offline misty13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 August 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
debbie---------you are totally amazing!!  thank you so much for all that info and access to the photos of lynn ross piper and wife harriet lydia.  you have done so much to further this research!  i appreciate everything you have looked up for me.  i was able to find his birth record in falconburg (sp), ontario and find the name of his bio mom.  he too was illegitimate but can further look back at her family. thanks again, debbie, and if you come across anything further, please let me know.

best regards,
gwen

Offline Michael G

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 September 09 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I chanced across this site and your conversation about Lynn Ross Piper who is my wife's grandfather.  If you Google his name you'll notice a site with Mel Piper's name.  That is one of LR's sons.  From what we know, he was married 3 times, could well have fathered a child by May England, and he certainly fathered a child in England while during WWI.  His last wife, Sue is still alive.  We have a copy of LR's birth record.  When researching him, be careful, he could be slippery about when and where he was born.  The newspaper calls him an "adopted" son, but there is no record of his being formally adopted in either Ontario or Alberta.  We sent off for his full WWI military record.  This is how we know about the child in England. As you can see from the attached, he was born Lynn Ross Slough.

Offline misty13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 September 09 19:17 BST (UK) »
michael g-  thanks for your response.  i am sending you a pm.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 December 10 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Misty13
I don't know if I have been in touch with you long ago on this, so excuse me if anything is a duplication.  Thirza England of Red Deer (born Winterbourne Stoke, Wiltshire UK) was my great grandfather Thomas Grant's sister. 

Her children included Frank Herbert England b 1895 Queensland (Canadian Infantryman) who died 9 Sept 1916 WW1 France, and Victoria May England b 1897 Queensland, both in the family you are researching.  My research into Red Deer documents suggests that May's brother Frank's death in WW1 could have been an unfortunate but timely episode, which enabled Thirza to pass off her 15 year old daughter's son by Ross Piper as Frank's, and thereby remove any social stigma from May.

The early records concerning Thirza however, are often incorrectly quoted, because Thirza's mother (Ann Petty) remarried soon after her birth.  So in her youth, Thirza was often recorded under her stepfather's surname of Mitchell.

I have a great deal on the Grant/Mitchell/England/Sylvester family (all names Thirza had) and can also add the names of the two/three husbands May had after she gave up her son.  So if there is anything I can help you with, please let me know.
Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I have just come across this message that I wrote many years ago. 
I cant see that it prompted a response. 
Did you reply via a PM Misty13, or do I know you by another name?

Yours Roy Grant

Offline AHay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 February 18 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello folks, (And Gwen!)

Not sure if anyone is still posting about Lynn Ross Piper and his many legitimate and not so legitimate children....

It so happens that he is my great great grandfather, by means of Mary Elizabeth England. Their son Alexander was my great grandfather. Just for reference, I am also a genetic match to another of his great grandchildren, by a different wife. So, I think that clarifies whether Alexander was really his child.

I'm very keen to learn more about Lynn Ross Piper and his other family members. I'm just getting started, and it's all kindof a jumble, so anything helps! If anyone is willing to share copies of records, etc, please send me a message.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 February 18 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi AHay
I'm still connected.  Thirza England was my great grandfather Thomas Grant's sister
Roy