Author Topic: Tricketts of Newark  (Read 8749 times)

Offline parf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tricketts of Newark
« on: Sunday 29 March 09 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for any information on the family of John Trickett, born abt 1831 in Newark, Notts.  His parents were William & Elizabeth Trickett.  I found them on Ancestry transcribed as Tricker on 1841 census, then nothing for William & Elizabeth after that,  I have been told by a lady I spoke to that there is a sad story about William & Eliz but she did not have time to go into details at the time (by email).  I have found a William Trickett on the Convict lists on Ancestry & also on Tasmania Archives website, Im wondering if that could be William, but what happened to Elizabeth ??  Any help or ideas would be brilliant or if anyone has any connection to the family.  I think that Elizabeths maiden name may be Burton, as I have found a marriage on LDS website.

Thank you
Jan

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tricketts of Newark
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 March 09 18:20 BST (UK) »
possible
death index
name; elizabeth trickett
y.o.r. 1841
qtr; jul/aug/sept.
dist. newark
vol. 15
page; 325
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 March 09 18:24 BST (UK) »
there is also this
death index
name; william trickett
y.o.r. 1843
qtr. apr/may/jun
dist. newark
vol. 15
page 371
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 March 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look on the freereg website?

http://www.freereg.org.uk/

There is a baptism at St. Mary's Newark for a John Trickett 2nd Dec 1830 parents William and Elizabeth Trickett, labourer.  Plus I can see other baptisms to the same couple.

Jo.

Offline Malco

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
William Trickett
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 August 09 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

I have info on William Trickett.

William Trickett who married Elizabeth Burton was my great great great grandfather.  I believe he was deported to Tasmania.

Why?

William and Elizabeth had 8 children, including Mary, born 1827, who you mention in your postings. The 1841 census shows Mary Trickett living in Balderton, Newark with a farmer named Rawding. 

Your 22 April posting quotes The Nottingham Guardian of 18/4/1845:

Newark Quarter Sessions
William Trickett was put to the bar on a bill of ladietment ( I think) charging him with having stolen six domestic fowls at Balderton the property of William Rawding.

So he stole from the farm where his daughter had lived or was still living.

I'm trying to sort out how, when and why some of the Tricketts became Jacksons, and some stayed Tricketts.  Any info?

All the very best

Malc

Offline parf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 August 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Malc,

Which one of William & Elizabeths children is your relative ??

I have found out a little more since I put this post on here but nothing definate about William being a convict, as there were two Williams at the time in Newark.......I am just about 99% sure it is the William I am looking into that was transported but would have liked some definate info such as his wife or childrens names on any records for the convict but nothing!!!  What sort of info have you got on William ??  Do you know what happend to his wife Elizabeth ???  I have a newspaper clipping of the report of her death from another family member.  Do you know if William died in Oz or came back here??

I was researching the Trickett family for my friend who knew there had been a name change down the line but did not know what name or anything else about the family, so came as quite a suprise to her that there could be a covict in the family!!! I can only guess that some of the family wanted to loose the name because of William being transported & others decided to keep it!! My friends Grt Grt Grandfather John Trickett married under the Trickett name & registered & Bpt his children under Trickett but on census he went by Jackson on some & Trickett on others!!!  I have not been able to find out where the Jackson name came from, no maiden names in the past were Jackson as far as I can see. When William was convicted maybe some of the younger children were looked after by a Jackson family ???

Would like to share any info with you & am interested in anything you may know as well,
Best wishes
Jan

Offline Cariad fach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 October 09 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I am so glad to find this link!!!  I know that the Children of William Tricket, well specifically John Trickett, settled in Caerfilly, SOuth Wales,  the children were adopted by a family named Jackson's,  the story of William Trickett being sent to Australia is also in my family, so we have just assumed this is why the children were raised by the Jackson Family.  However, I have a gap in my search from William Tricket, son John Tricket....to Samuel Jackson who was the father of Earnest and Horace and Jackson.  Horace (David) Jackson married Blanche Jessica Reed Jackson and had 5 children, one of whom is my Grandmother, Pauline Jackson Silagy. 
Jan and MAlco....I would be so interested in finding out who you are...in the family tree and how we are related!!!!  I know my grandmother's cousin, one of the daughter's of Earnest, is still living in Caerphilly with her daughters and granddaughters still living also!  I have planned a trip to find family to Wales over St. David's day weekend!!! 
I am new to this site....is there a way to contact you directly or privately to exchange emails????
Jan are you one of the other daughters from the Jackson clan working with Kay????
Really hope to hear from you soon,
J
Trickett/JAcksons from Newark to Caerphilly, South Wales
Ancestors of William Bateman Reed, Ralph Newbury Reed
The Villa Clifton, Cragg Northumberland

Offline jaybee1944

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 March 12 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. 
I know that this trail is 3 years old but I have just come across it. William Trickett b1 Feb 1800 Newark was 2nd cousin 5xremoved from my late wife.  My wife's line is from George Trickett b 9 Sep 1808 South Collingham and who was a cousin to William.  This George was also a convict and was sent to Sydney.  Along with a group of others, we have an extensive Trickett tree. One of this group is also a direct descendant of William.  The Malc name rings a bell but I can't place the rest of you.  I am assuming that Malc is connected to the Trickett-Jackson family.  Any exchange of info would be appreciated.  At present we are debating just where William died.  Some say Tasmania whilst others say he died in Adelaide in 1879. Records are sparse on that score. 
John B

Offline bevlang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 November 16 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my great grandfather  was a Trickett from Newark, don't know is name,all I know is he was a major in the army,probably the sherwood foresters as he was stationed at the barracks in derby,He married my great gran  from sligo in Ireland,He had four girls and 1 boy who died in Jamaica ,in the first world war,they called him Jimmy, my nans name was Helen, my name is Beverley