Author Topic: Please Help With Death Certificate Pt 2  (Read 1504 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help With Death Certificate Pt 2
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 August 09 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Was'nt the Parochial Parish (provincial) officer! the Scottish equivalent of the English Church warden/Overseer of the poor?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 August 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
Maybe we should check the census and see what Archibald Lap<something> describes himself as  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 August 09 22:47 BST (UK) »
 ???

1861 - Chartershall, St Ninians

William Lapslie, 51, lab, b. St Ninians
Archd Lapslie, visitor, 73, pauper, b. St Ninians

It;s the only one that fits.

PS - a general labourer in 1851, with a sister Agnes  and brother William - same address.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 August 09 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies.  It does look like Archibald Lapslie is the best candidate for having been the person who registered Christina's death but I am a bit perplexed by the fact he is said to be a pauper in 1861 and then is suddenly a parochial officer in his 70s one year later!  ???  Any suggestions gratefully received.  ;D

I do, however, think I have found my elusive Christina on the 1861 census under the name Christina Bonas (probably meant to be Bonar but mistranscribed) as an inmate in what looks to be a small Poor House on Stirling Road in St Ninians!  It gives her birth place as Clackmannanshire, which is where my Christina was born, but the age is way out.  I'm not concerned by that though as you know what ages on censuses are like and they can be especially erroneous when it comes to inmates of poor houses. 

So it seems there must have been a small Poor House in St Ninians as well as the big Stirling Combination one.  I can't see anyone on the list with her that could resemble our elusive parochial officer Archibald so our pauper Archd Lapslie is still the prime candidate.

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)