Author Topic: Looking for Elizabeth Dallas in Manchester/Bolton - Census & BMD Help COMPLETED  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi,

:)

I am looking for Elizabeth Dallas who was born c1854.

I have found her marriage to William David Edge Mar 1875 Manchester 8d 649 and have also found her in 1871 living in a home for factory girls run by the Sisters of the Holy Cross and Passion at 12 Folds Road, Bolton. RG10/3932/53 p9.  It says she was born in Manchester and is an orphan.

I know she was a widow by 1883 as William David Edge died Mar 1883 Prestwich 8d 251.

I have having difficulty finding a reference for her birth.  I thought I had found her in 1861 in Manchester. RG9/2938/100 p6. She was with Duncan Dallas and Elizabeth Dallas who I thought might be her parents.  Here it says she was born in Knutsford, Cheshire.

As she was an orphan in 1871, I thought I would look for the deaths of Duncan and Elizabeth but I can't see them so perhaps they are not her parents, maybe an aunt and uncle.

Thank you.

Luzzu

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Elizabeth Dallas in Manchester/Bolton - Census and BMD help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 August 09 15:21 BST (UK) »
The marriage is on LancashireBMD as between Elizabeth M Dallas & William D Edge at Manchester Register Office or Registrar Attended - as she was in what I assume was an RC home in 1871 it may be an RC church wedding with the registrar attending.
Neither Lancashire or CheshireBMD are coming up with a similar birth, so she may have been one of the unregistered.

She is on the 1881 Census as Elizabeth Edge age 28 born Knutsford (RG11 3971 7 7 ) (ie born 1852/1853).This ties in with the 1861 you have found where she was aged 8 & listed as a boarder

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Elizabeth Dallas in Manchester/Bolton - Census and BMD help please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 August 09 15:46 BST (UK) »
On the 1871 Census, Duncan Dallas is a widower living with his parents in Duncan Lock, Altofts, Yorkshire where his father of the same name is the lock keeper.

I have searched for a marriage between Duncan Dallas & Elizabeth but haven't found anything, nor have I found a death for Elizabeth Dallas (the 1861 married one).

I did find on the 1851 in the same household Duncan Dallas (visitor) & Elizabeth Collier(servant) - Duncan's details match, but this Elizabeth is age 19 born Warrington Lancs; the one in 1861 is age 28 born Lymm Cheshire.

I'm wondering if Duncan & Elizabeth were married at all? If they weren't perhaps Elizabeth junior was registered, but under her mother's maiden name.

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 August 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for helping.

All I can do then is to order the marriage certificate William David Edge/Elizabeth Dallas Manchester 8d 649 and see what it says for the name of the father.

Duncan died in Wakefield in 1881 so if he was Elizabeth's father, she wasn;t an orphan when she was living in the Home of Factory Girls in 1871 (it was RC by the way).

As you say, the other scenario is that Duncan wasn't married to Elizabeth's mother, Elizabeth and the child was registered in the mother's name, which we don't know.  Alternatively I suppose, Elizabeth could have been Elizabeth's daughter by another man.

Appreciate your help.  :)

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline kinglad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Elizabeth Dallas in Manchester/Bolton - Census & BMD Help COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 September 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there, did you find out about Elizabeth's father of her birth certificate
I am researching the Dallas family as well.
rob

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Elizabeth Dallas in Manchester/Bolton - Census & BMD Help COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 September 14 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

When I was researching Elizabeth Dallas I was helping my 2nd cousin.  My great aunt married into the Edge family so I am only distantly related and by marriage.  I passed everything over to him and I am not sure whether he got around to ordering the marriage certificate.  Unfortunately, he is difficult to contact at the moment as he is in the process of emigrating to Australia.  I do have limited research notes so if you want to PM, I will be happy to help if I can.

Luzzu  :)