Author Topic: Attach a photo.  (Read 1806 times)

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Attach a photo.
« on: Monday 10 August 09 06:32 BST (UK) »
Having a problem attaching a photo. Comes up to large and the other one the other day was to small. How can I make smaller? I am reeaally thick when it comes to technical stuff so please tell me step by step at a 3 year old rate, might be the best!!

Ele
McQuade. Co Monaghan Ireland>Glasgow Scotland.
McGurk. Belfast Ireland>Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

This information is crown copy copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Fraser. Inverness Scotland>London.
Coulson. London.
Phil(l)ips. Glasgow Scotland.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Attach a photo.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 August 09 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ele  :)

The maximum file size of photo you can post on Rootschat is 500kb.  If you are posting a photo for restoration, it should be as close to that size as possible.

There are a couple of tutorials that you might find useful.  One is about how to scan a photograph for the best results:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,198165.0.html

The other is about making a large photo smaller, without losing detail:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,372537.0.html

Hopefully they should help you - if not, give us another shout!

Cheers
Prue

Offline Gragareth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 17:49 BST (UK) »
ele....If you have the photo saved as a jpg file, and want it only to show on a screen,  from Microsoft is a very useful free down-load.  Called Image Resizer.
Go to  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx
Is quickly installed. Does not show in Programmes'  list.  On your list of saved photos give a mouse right click.  The menu that appears has 'Resize Pictures'.  Click and a small box appears with 3 possible file sizes for the photo.  Select one. Click ok.  Quickly a reduced file size of that photo
appears next to the original.   Try the small first.               'Bye,   Gragareth.
Binns, Howgate, Lister, Mountain, Pickles, Procter, Hall, at Leeds.   Bowron at Barnard Castle<br />Co.Durham.  Cordingley, Crosthwaite, Hardwick, Kilburn, Thompson, Turton,  nr Methley,Rothwell and Whitkirk nr Leeds.  Hall at Hull.  Pottage, Key, Risdale, at Lincs.<br />Links to Howgate at Wigan. Cookson at Huddersfield. Mountain at Otley area.

Offline Gragareth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 17:57 BST (UK) »
ele.... I should add, that this Resizer gives such small file sizes, that its no use if the posted photo is for re-touching and then a print from it.    Gragareth.
Binns, Howgate, Lister, Mountain, Pickles, Procter, Hall, at Leeds.   Bowron at Barnard Castle<br />Co.Durham.  Cordingley, Crosthwaite, Hardwick, Kilburn, Thompson, Turton,  nr Methley,Rothwell and Whitkirk nr Leeds.  Hall at Hull.  Pottage, Key, Risdale, at Lincs.<br />Links to Howgate at Wigan. Cookson at Huddersfield. Mountain at Otley area.

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, Ele,

If you want to see what your photo' will look like when posted, there is a practice thread here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,370538.30.html

'Hat.

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 August 09 10:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks all, I will give it another go when my printer decides to let me re scan the photo, its playing funny buggers!! More than likely me, needs a reset or something..

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

Coulson. London.

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 August 09 12:31 BST (UK) »
another useful option is to sign up for a free account with photobucket who will host all your images and video on the net for you.
They also have an image editing feature and you can also set the size of the image you want when uploading so it can do the resize automatically for you ie 640x480 etc
http://photobucket.com/

then all you need to do is copy the 'direct link' of each picture you want to include in a  post and paste that into your post .

If you do not already use ' picassa '  image gallery organiser and editer you will be amazed at how versatile and useful this free software is.
It will import your images from camera or memory card put them into a folder of your choice which will allow you to selectively crop and lighten/ brighten your images.You will have some amazing fun with this simple straightforward program
download here.
http://picasa.google.co.uk/

When you first install it it will search your entire computer drive and organise all your images for you automatically .
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 August 09 00:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Hubby needs to do something first to the printer so I can scan again. Who knows what I pressed, I sent the whole printer into overload!!

Ele

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

Coulson. London.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Attach a phot resize.
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 May 20 20:07 BST (UK) »
Microsoft just released Powertoys for Windows 10 that includes the Image Resizer

PowerToys’ Image Resizer uses Windows Shell extension, so you can select the images in Explorer or desktop and then right-click to open the context menu where you will find the option to use the app.

Very flexible as to output size
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath