Author Topic: COMPLETED 1911 census transcript - help please  (Read 2915 times)

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
COMPLETED 1911 census transcript - help please
« on: Monday 10 August 09 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have paid for and viewed the transcript page for George Ball b. 1861 living in Drighlington, North Bierly, Yorkshire.

In the occupation column for George it says "teamer for"

I'm guessing that there should be more to this.  Is there anyway I can find what it should say without having to now pay more to view the actual page?  There are a few mistakes on the page but this particular column seems to have a bit missing and I don't seem to be able to find a 'report errors' option.

Thanks for your help

Susan
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Harrison - Northumberland
Rowland, Nicholson, Sneaton - Whitby
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census transcript - help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 August 09 12:00 BST (UK) »
You'll have to purchase the census page.

Although how you can say that there are other mistakes without having seen the original is illogical.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 August 09 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

You are right of course.  It's just that Sarah has been transcribed as Saragh and spinner has been transcribed as apinner - but of course they could be written like this on the original.

I concede that it is a bit of an assumption on my part.

Thanks for your reply

Susan
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 09 12:09 BST (UK) »
Susan,
Does the 1901 census give any clues about George's occupation?

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 August 09 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

He was always previously listed as a coal miner.  That's really why I am so intrigued by this 1911 entry.  It is definately the right family.

Susan
Fisher - Essex

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 August 09 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

Just an idea:

Could it be Teamer foreman. He could have been in charge of a group of miners at the coal face, etc. He would still have been a coal miner.

In later times this might be a fireman, who was responsible for firing the 'shot' that fragmented the coal seam.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 August 09 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Yes it could be that.  This is not something I have heard of but it would fit with the transcript.

I think the only way I'm going to really solve this is to buy the census page and hope it doesn't just say 'teamer for'   ::)

I think I'm just feeling that having paid for the transcript I shouldn't need to buy the page to decipher the transcript.  Hey ho that's how it goes sometimes in this family history thing  :)

Thanks for your help

Susan
Fisher - Essex

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 August 09 12:45 BST (UK) »
That makes sense Gadget.

I thought that the occupation may have been too long to fit in the occupation box and only what was inside the box had been transcribed, but I would have thought that there is plenty of room to fit that inside the box.

Do transcripts give a number after the occupation as seen in the original image? Categories of occupations, places etc are given numbers so this would also give a clue as to George's occupation IF this is on the transcript.  :-\

I think the transcripts are a bit of a con (for want of a better word  ;)) because I think that people will often wish to view the original after they've bought the transcript, and I think this should be possible at a reduced rate rather that having to pay in full.

Of course they realise this and are taking full advantage. I know they have huge costs to recoup, but I still think that people would be even more willing to go ahead and use credits to view the original after they've already viewed the transcript, if the costs to do so were less. End of rant.  ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 August 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
I seem to remember that not all of  the full description  is given on some of the trancripts that I have. I'll go and check.

I don't have all that many though, I preferred the full image.

I was going to ask about the occupational code but that would only be on the full image.

Gadget

Added - I have a Coal Miner Hewer at Face and a Dairyman and Market Gardener   so I don't think it would have been truncated. The original  could have been a poor image/writing
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***