Author Topic: Top o' th' Lane, Brindle  (Read 2180 times)

Offline bernardf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Top o' th' Lane, Brindle
« on: Monday 10 August 09 16:38 BST (UK) »
Anyone got anything interesting about Top o'th' lane, Brindle?
Got all the Census details but struggling before 1841.
Got much of history of Brindle Workhouse behind where houses are.
particularly interested in how/why built - about 1800 - possibly an early build for rent job? may even be a link to workhouse?
Bernard

Offline Nj73_

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Top o' th' Lane, Brindle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 14:52 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon, I’m studying my family tree that includes relatives to have lived at top off lane. I have an Evan Holding marrying Anne Riding at St James, they had a daughter Rachel Holding who married John Standing who is my gt gt gt gt grandfather. Whilst looking at baptisms and marriages at St Janes in late 1700s and early 1800s I wondered if I have found Evan Holdings father Henry Holding who had two marriages and one said he was a yeoman of brindle and one where he is workhouse governor. I believe the workhouse at Brindle was top off lane.

Offline bernardfleming3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 June 19 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, in response to your query about Brindle workhouse.
I did most of my research on the workhouse some time ago - my interest is local history rather than family history, and I've written the workhouse and cottages story up in a short booklet/book (about x30 pages).  There were lots of Ridings at Top o' th' Lane (I used them as an example in the book)  Don't recall a Holdings but as a yeoman, it's quite likely Holdings would have been an overseer, on the board of guardians of the poor or even a master at the workhouse.
Now the bad news - Brindle workhouse was a pretty dire place, even by workhouse standards.  Despite being run by the parish, it took the hard cases from all over Lancs. that the other parishes couldn't cope with.  There were at least x2 deaths that made the national press and attempts were made to close it down due to poor conditions.  Didn't actually close until 1872 after 150 years operating.  brief history at http://brindleworkhouse.co.uk/  You may also want to look at 1841 censuses and newspaper searches.  Can't identify people without some dates.  Plaque photo attached.  Where are you - local?

Offline Nj73_

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 June 19 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your response, lovely to hear from you. I’m not local I’m based in Cheltenham, very few relatives left in Lancaster only. I have been handed a family tree but have enjoyed searching myself for Online records such as the parish churches baptism and marriages and have found lots of information.

Offline bernardfleming3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 June 19 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hope the info was helpful.  If interested, you can find more about the village at Brindle Historical Society website and facebook page.  If you want me to do anything, let me know.  If you're up this way any time, get in touch and I'll show you round Brindle, Top o' th' Lane and the workhouse site.
All the best,
Bernard Fleming
http://www.brindlehistoricalsociety.org.uk/ even an article on the workhouse
https://www.facebook.com/BrindleHistoricalSociety/ you'll probably need to be logged onto facebook for this (?)

Offline Nj73_

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 June 19 10:28 BST (UK) »
Yes have liked the Facebook page, where is the book you produced? Can that be bought? I’d like to read about the workhouse, even if relatives not inmates they lived with it at top of their lane!!

Offline bernardfleming3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 June 19 11:18 BST (UK) »
It isn't a fully published book, just a 30 odd page spiral bound document I published myself and print as needed called 'Top o' th' Lane, Brindle, The workhouse and the weavers'.  There are copies in Chorley library (part of Lancashire County Council) who may be able to do it on inter library loan.  I think I have a pdf electronic version of it but it may be too big a file to attach here.  I'll have a word with my tech expert (daughter!) or I could print one off, but would have to charge for this as it uses quite a lot of ink and time (£6 or so last time I did it plus postage).  Let me know if you want me to do anything,
Bernard