Author Topic: BROWN, Thomas L.  (Read 7292 times)

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
BROWN, Thomas L.
« on: Monday 10 August 09 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am desperately seeking information on Thomas L. BROWN who I believe was born sometime between 1884-1890 possibly in Buckhaven/Weymss, Fife OR Stirling.  His parents were Charles BROWN and Agnes LIDDELL who married in Stirling, Scotland in 1884.

Thomas L. BROWN married Eva Maria Jackson sometime bet. 1910 - 1912 possibly in Hawick.  Eva Rimmer was born in 1887 in Southport, Lancashire.  Thomas was a burgh engineer and designed several blocks of houses in Methil, Fife.

Both Thomas Brown and wife, Eva, were mentioned in a write-up in the Fife Free Press concerning the graveside service in Bennochy Cemetery, Kirkcaldy of Eva's father, Robert Rimmer, bandmaster.

I would be most grateful for any help regarding Thomas's birth and marriage dates.

Thanks so much.

Dorothy Mather
Ottawa, Canada
ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: BROWN, Thomas L.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 August 09 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

There is this possible 1891 census entry:

Charles Brown 34, District Paintary Inspector, b. St Ninians Stirlingshire
Agnes Brown 32, b. Bannockburn, Stirlingshire
Janet Brown 8 b. Falkirk, Stirlingshire
Thomas Brown 3 b. Haddington, Haddingtonshire
Charles Brown 11 months, b. England

Address: Claremont Albert Pl, New Monkland Lanarkshire

I can't easily see this family as yet in 1901 Scotland.

There is a marriage showing on Scotlands People for a Thomas Brown and Eva Rimmer in 1911 in Hawick as you though. You can view this online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk It is pay to view, but costs are reasonable.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

It's certainly a good possibility that this is the Thomas I'm looking for.

Thanks also for the lead on his marriage.

Best regards,

Dorothy
ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 20:36 BST (UK) »
there are 2 births for a Thomas L on SP. one is 1887 Thomas Lorrimer, Borthwick,midlothian  and one 1889 Thomas lang, Kelvin,Glasgow.

I think Thomas Lorrimer is yours as haddingtonshire would be Midlothian:

When abolished, for local government purposes, in 1975, the county of East Lothian bordered the county of Midlothian to the west, and the county of Berwick to the south. The county was called Haddingtonshire until 1921.

you can see the full record if you pay credits.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Diddy,

As you said, I now believe that the Thomas Lorrimer Brown you found on SP is the man I'm searching for.  It certainly sheds positive light on the 1891 census sent to me by another Rootschatter.

One thing I'm unsure of is whether he was:
1- born in Haddington and registered in Borthwick (Haddington is only 12.7 miles from Borthwick)   OR
2- born in Borthwick and registered in Midlothian

All of my Scottish research to-date has been in Angus County, Scotland and I am not that familiar with other parts of the country.  The town of Buckhaven threw me at first but after looking at the map, I realize that Buckhaven is roughly 6.43 miles from Kirkcaldy - where Thomas's wife's family lived.

Thank you so much for your help.  It is much appreciated!  I will now have a look on Scotland's People.

Kind regards,
Dorothy

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 10:27 BST (UK) »
hi Dorothy, i did not look at the full cert on SP, but if place was only small it would be the registration district it would be indexed under. however the actual cert may say place and ' of this parish' or something like.

Good luck with your search,  Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Diddy..... for all your help.

Dorothy

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy and Diddy

Just a point to bear in mind Dorothy, if you are going to look for his birth entry. The 1891 census has his birth in Haddington, Haddingtonshire (East Lothian) c. 1887. There is in fact a birth in 1887 in Haddington of a Thomas Brown which may well be his. Although he had a middle initial of L, it may be that when his birth was registered, it was done so without a middle name which could have been added at his baptism.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 August 09 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica & Diddy,

Thanks very much for this information, Monica.  I will keep it in mind.

I now have Thomas Brown on the 1901 census still living in New Monklands, Lanarkshire with his mother, Agnes.  There are three more children - all daughters.  Father Charles Brown is a lodger living with a Drummond family in Hawick and is working as burgh surveyor, sanitary inspector.  I also have Agnes's family (mother of Thomas L).  Her parents were Andrew Liddell and Agnes McFarlane, both living in St. Ninians, Sterling.

Again, thank you both for your help.  I couldn't have done it without you.

Dorothy