Author Topic: BROWN, Thomas L.  (Read 7295 times)

Offline Terri Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BROWN, Thomas L.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 December 14 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

I'm not sure if you have the information you're looking for but Thomas Liddell Brown was my grandfather. You are correct in that he was the Burgh Surveyor for Buckhaven and Methil. Charles Brown was Burgh Surveyor for Hawick. Thomas died in 1956. He and Eva were married on 19 November 1911. Their youngest son, Barrie was my father. If there's any more information you need please let me know. Can you please let me know why you were looking for this information? Are we related?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terri,

I apologize for not answering sooner. I have been very busy with Christmas preparations and lots of company.

We are related – however, the relationship is through Thomas Liddell Brown’s wife, Eva Maria Jackson Rimmer. Eva’s father, Robert Rimmer, (renowned bandmaster) and my gt. grandfather, also a Robert Rimmer, were first cousins. I have a great deal of information on this particular Rimmer line. Bandmaster, Robert Rimmer and his famous brother, William, were born in Southport, Lancs. which is where my father’s maternal line originated. It closely intersects with the Jackson family.

As for Thomas L. Brown, I have both his birth and death certificate as well as that of his parents, Charles Brown and Agnes Liddell (although this certificate is difficult to decipher). I also have the 1891 and 1901 censuses for Thomas. As well, I have many certificates of the bandmaster’s family, including Eva’s.

If you can give me any more information regarding Thomas L., I would certainly appreciate it. Likewise, if I can help you in any way regarding Eva and her family, I would be pleased to do so.

Dorothy Mather Ottawa, Canada

Posted on behalf of Carleton ;D
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tracey07

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 August 19 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy
I've just come across your question. Thomas L Brown was my grandfather. I am the daughter of his youngest son, Barrie. I have some information on him. The houses he designed were both in Buckhaven, where he lived, and in Methil as already mentioned. Are you related to me in some way?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 August 19 09:05 BST (UK) »
haddingtonshire would be Midlothian
Haddingtonshire is East Lothian not Midlothian.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 August 19 09:06 BST (UK) »
Charles Brown 34, District Paintary Inspector, b. St Ninians Stirlingshire
I bet that is a mistranscription of Sanitary Inspector :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 August 19 09:13 BST (UK) »
One thing I'm unsure of is whether he was:
1- born in Haddington and registered in Borthwick (Haddington is only 12.7 miles from Borthwick)   OR
2- born in Borthwick and registered in Midlothian
The rules were that a birth had to be registered in the district where it took place. So if he was born in Borthwick he had to be registered in Borthwick, and if he was born in Haddington he had to be registered in Haddington.

However if his parents' usual residence was in a different district, the Registrar in the district of birth had to forward the details to the Registrar in their district of residence, who would then enter the details in his register, so you would get two duplicate registrations.

If it is registered in Borthwick it is automatically in Midlothian, because Borthwick is a district in the county of Midlothian (which was for a time known as Edinburghshire). If it is registered in Haddington it is automatically in East Lothian, because Haddington is a district in East Lothian (which was for a time known as Haddingtonshire).

Offline Tracey07

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've just come back to this conversation. I have completed the  Brown side of the family tree. I'd love to see any information you have on your great grandfather and the census data you have on Thomas Brown. There were a great deal of Rimmers from what I can see but I think that the info I have for them may be wrong because I have his father, Thomas Rimmer marrying 5 times and fathering a total of 37 (!) children which seems really unlikely so there may be duplications of wives as well as children!