Author Topic: Same man, 2 places at once on 1911 census  (Read 2179 times)

Offline lilacmoon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Same man, 2 places at once on 1911 census
« on: Tuesday 11 August 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
Could anyone shed any light on a problem I have please?  My great grandfather, George Henry Wykes ( I have the wedding cert marrying my g grandmother, Clara Wilson Mason) is on the 1911 census at his brother James Wykes's house.  However, my grandfather's birth cert says his father's name was Harry Wykes.  OK, George Henry could have been known as Harry BUT Harry is ALSO on the 1911 census at home with Clara and the kids.  How can he be on the same census with 2 different forenames at 2 different addresses at the same time?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Same man, 2 places at once on 1911 census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
The census was meant to taken of each individual in the household on census night only. This means that someone who was just there for one night would be included in that household, so he would not necessarily be 'living' there. As the census schedule was distributed in the week before the census, it could be filled in early with the people who would be expected to be there on the night. Therefore you sometimes get people enumerated twice, at their usual home and at a house they happened to be visiting.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lilacmoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 10:07 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that.  I will have to assume then that George Henry and Harry are the same person.  I didn't know that this could happen on a census so your reply is much appreciated.

Offline paslwigr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 10:24 BST (UK) »
 :o
Hi lilacmoon,

I have family members enumerated twice on almost every census. grandchildren spending an odd night with grandparents, nieces visiting aunts and uncles, servant girls visiting parents. My many times grandma, housekeeper at a big hall and her son gardener there, both enumerated there and at home.
So it's a very common occurrence.
paslwigr

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 11:47 BST (UK) »
There were sometimes reasons why this was done deliberately.  I have a case where a farmer who was also the licensee of a public house was enumerated both on his farm and at the pub which was ten miles away.  I suspect that this was to prove that the pub was not being run by his seventeen year old son.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lilacmoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 20:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.  I just wish that the same name was used on both census entries to fully convince me.  I can't think of any other explanation though.