Author Topic: Childrens Home Portslade  (Read 17992 times)

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Childrens Home Portslade
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 14:44 BST (UK) »
Another place where you may be able to find more precise information is found after searching the National Archives online:

Go to:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=094-1576&cid=0#0

and there is information recorded under the categories
Louie and Cecilia Holiday Fund
Louie and Cecilia Holiday Home

There seems to be quite a bit of information on the internet about this family and from what I read it would seem the above two categories would seem appropriate records to have a look through.
Dancy Dancey Crowter Binney Outred Cowdry Bowmer Kensett Alderton Akers Killick

Offline funkymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
Wow two messages in one day, thank you very much.

I did in fact move forward with my research.  The Pennington-Bickford family were connected with the St Clements Dane Charity in Holborn, London (you know the nursery rhyme, oranges and lemons - there is a connection but right now can't remember what in my excitement!).  After a long and drawn out process including the National Archives I contacted the Trustees of the charity who in turn advised that the records of the charity were archived in the City of Westminster Archives in London and I made contact with them.  However, the records that were available did not include any reference to a children's home in Sussex and that where is I paused thinking what to do next.

The address that I have for the home is taken from the 1911 census and as you say road names change and shift their location.  I did contact both of the famility history societies in sussex again unsuccessfully.  I assume that the home was a private home but still feel that I can't give up my search, it needs to be parked whilst further thought happens.  I will certainly trying posting as you suggest spinalman and see if I can get any response. 

Thanks once again for your replies, much appreciated.

Regards

Offline funkymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 19:47 BST (UK) »
I have gone back to some of my research information and have found reference to the childrens home that I am looking for in Kellys Directory of Sussex 1911 and under the "Homes" section it lists the Cecilia and Louie Home for Children.  Mrs Pennington-Bickford is shown as the principle.  The address shown in the directory is Upper Shoreham Road, Southwick, Brighton.  How does that address fit into the locality please?

Thank you                               

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 20:23 BST (UK) »
You can look at the road in street view and map view on Google Maps

Go to: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Then enter
Upper Shoreham Road, Southwick into the search field and click Search Maps

Offline funkymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 20:26 BST (UK) »
That drew a blank, but worth a try, because you never know till you try!  Thank you

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 May 10 10:43 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure what you mean by it drew a blank. 

Google maps shows maps.  If you type in a valid road name you are looking for, in the UK it will you show the map.  That would show you how the road you are looking for fits in with the locality.

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 May 10 11:24 BST (UK) »
I found a document on the internet that more fully describes the function of the place, described as the "Louie Home".  It was very difficult to download *, so if you would like a copy in its entirety, to understand the full context, just send me a personal message with your email address and I'll send it to you.

An excerpt explains...

"The Pennington-Bickfords were particularly concerned for the health of the children and at their own expense established a holiday home at Southwick near Portslade in Sussex where the children of the area could go for fresh air and recuperation. For over forty years, the "Louie Home" provided a respite for children brought up in the smoke of central London. A bible class for over 70 of the girls was run by Mrs Pennington-Bickford and these would spend a week at the home each summer; after them, children from the Sunday School and the Primary School would spend a fortnight there. During the rest of the year, the home was used for delicate or convalescing children or for whole families if there was trouble at home. "

* (www.st-clementdanes.westminster.sch.uk/)

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 May 10 12:21 BST (UK) »
www.st-clementdanes.westminster.sch.uk/.../School%20History.DOC

This is the link to the document - there seems to be a placeholder in it (on page 52) for a picture of the Louie Home but sadly there is no picture there.  I have contacted the website to ask if they have a picture of the Louie Home.  Cross fingers ! :o

Offline funkymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 May 10 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

I entered the road name but it did not show that the road existed.  From an earlier post it suggests that the road may not now be in existence.  Hence I drew a blank.

Thank you