Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 7 Episode #5: Kim Cattrall  (Read 29605 times)

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • looking into the past.lets you see the future
    • View Profile
Re: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 7 Episode #5: Kim Cattrall
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 22:34 BST (UK) »
excellent program honest and really felt for the family.
its not all about how far we go back ,more about what we find on the way
harris , penrose,jose.davison.layton.leighton.summerson.bennet.clasper.wallett.cadwallader.johnson.jobling.bell (cook?)      />craig.stokoe.marshall.chalmers.white.bainbridge.waite.trevena.trenwith.polkinghorn.dixon.jopling.powell.ivey.greenhow
lloyd

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
I found this interesting. I noticed that the 3 sisters did actually meet their half siblings.[ Maybe another programme there!]
I hope no one complains about emotional reactions, or the fact that they only went back two generations!
Kooky

As one who has moaned about only going back a couple of generations  ::) I found this programme absolutely rivetting!  Personally, I felt that this one was different to Kate Humble for example because in this instance no one had any idea about George Baugh. Therefore, even though they were looking at 'living history' I didn't sit there thinking 'if you had asked them at the time, you would know all of this'.

And I agree with margaret103 that Marion did an absolutely fantastic job raising the 3 girls on her own.

Brilliant programme, and on the whole I'm thoroughly enjoying this series!

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 22:47 BST (UK) »
I found this programme absolutely riveting!

Possibly because my own maternal Grandfather abandoned his wife and nine children during WW2 & married bigamously...

Other parallels with this episode were that he then also took his second family to Australia, - (after a spell in Brixton Gaol for bigamy:-)

I've never heard of Kim Cattrell, but as others on here have mentioned, I was also impressed by the strong women in her family...& would love to see a 'follow up' episode.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 22:59 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed this programme as did my OH.  I did think that if George's 2nd family was still in the UK, they would look at the TV and learn that their father was a bigamist.  However, of course, the 2nd family in Australia had obviously been contacted and forewarned.

I was happy for Kim Cattrell had made contact with George's sisters, I think it made it somewhat easier for the family to realise that he had deserted his mother and sisters too.  Hopefully, they are catching up on lost time too.

I'm surprised the 3 women weren't bitter, realising how much they and their mother struggled, whilst their father and his 2nd family were living quite a happy life.

Lizzie

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 23:15 BST (UK) »
I don't think there could be any complaints about the search only going back a couple of generations - many of us have a mysterious disappearing relative on our trees, and the fact that it is relatively recently doesn't actually make the search any easier. The most annoying 'absence' in my tree is not someone back in the 1800s, but my great-grandfather, so I could really relate to this episode.

I like the variety of histories that have been included in this series. I think something for everyone. Hopefully next week will provide something different againl.

Offline Fue

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Jane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 23:25 BST (UK) »
It appears that I must be alone in being very dissappointed with this episode.

It is true that this story was very sad and the grandfather was an absolute cad but  spending nearly the whole hour focusing on one ancestor meant they had to pad it out. And pad it out they did; it is no wonder the sisters became weepy, I certainly would if I had a camera on my face for that long whilst hearing such awful news.

Even the old lady (the grandfather's sister in law I think) I am sure felt awkward just sitting there with the cameras on them for so long, so what do you do when you feel awkward? offer to put the kettle on!! Great TV - not!

Last week's episode was much better.
Williams (S. Wales/Worcester)
Eagles (Gloucester/Liverpool),

S. Wales/Devon/Somerset:
Havard, Hortop, Jenkins, Martin, Marshall, Lethbridge, Hearn/Hern

Northampton/Leicestershire
Ainge, Barker,Stevenson, Allan, Dickens

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline docthetinman

• RootsChat Member
  • Sarah Margaret Nora and Benny 1915
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 23:31 BST (UK) »
I didn't like lats weeks at all i thought some of the earlier one was better then that one
Mccracken Cumberland and Ireland and S Yorkshire
Duffy(e) Cumberland and Ireland
Moore Cumberland and Ireland

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 August 09 00:05 BST (UK) »
I found it interesting too. I was also on laptop so kept wondering if I had missed bits because events suddenly seemed to happen.
The relatives in Durham must have been forewarned as they seemed to know and it may have been too upsetting but you could see Kim C's genuine emotion as she discovered things.
It would be very sad and a great shock too for the Australian family and presumably they would have had to agree to the programme's transmittance. It could have caused lots of anguish there I'm sure.
I thought too that the three sisters looked wonderful  :D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline docthetinman

• RootsChat Member
  • Sarah Margaret Nora and Benny 1915
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 August 09 00:14 BST (UK) »
Heywood i agree with you,its not the second familys fault,there are vitams just lke the 3 sister
Mccracken Cumberland and Ireland and S Yorkshire
Duffy(e) Cumberland and Ireland
Moore Cumberland and Ireland