Author Topic: Gyspy Surname  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Gyspy Surname
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 August 09 13:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steve, I too have a Burge from Dorset in the tree. Any Luffman entries?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 August 09 13:50 BST (UK) »
 :o Burge, from Dorset??? Now my heart's pounding! Nothing to do with Hawkers, or similar trades, were they?

I must just go see to my creatures. Then I'll be back here and can settle down properly.

Luffman? Not as yet, I'm afraid.

Give me half an hour or so. Rushed off my feet just yet.
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 August 09 14:02 BST (UK) »
Betty Burge, my likely 4 great grandmother buried 28th September 1760 at Henstridge Somerset,the wife of William Luffman b 1718 Oborne Dorset, died 1784 Henstridge.He was the son of Mathew Luffman b 1685 Maperton Som. and Sarah Busse or Bassett.William and Betty married 4th Oct 1748 in Henstridge. Unfortunately I have no further information.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 August 09 14:26 BST (UK) »
 ??? Roger; Have you ever made contact with David Burge? If not, let's take this to PM and I'll sort ye out.

Offline dudleylad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 September 09 20:41 BST (UK) »
Niether are listed in The Book of Bob, DudleyLad. But Green is strongly represented, along with a couple of derivatives. So, that one's a possibility.

" Povey " ? One that has a ring, for me. I knew a Povey. I'm also quite sure I've seen it listed, elsewhere, as of Gypsy connotation.

Interesting thing is; Here, in Eire, Gypsys are known as " Pavie's ". I've heard it pronounced ' Paw Vee ' ..... See what I'm saying?  ;)

Thanks very much Steve G, the Povey line on my fiancees side is confusing to say the least

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 15:44 BST (UK) »
Steve G. Tried contacting David Burge on the link you gave me, result so far nothing. Anything you can do would be very helpful.

Offline vince smith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 September 09 20:08 BST (UK) »
Stevie G and Dudleylad,

I have a non Gypsy, Povey friend who told me that the true pronunciation was Puvvey.  He also told me that someone in his family had been DNA tested and that the male line was Neolithic British ( pre Celtic).

This fits nicely into the theory that  the Irish Pavee Travellers are the descendants of the original inhabitants of these islands.  I think that whilst Povey is certainly not a Gypsy/ Traveller name, there could be an ancient tie there.

On An65's excellent site there are Poveys listed as lodgers with the Boswell family.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 September 09 00:30 BST (UK) »
 Ye've got me thinking now, Vince. DNA, eh? Hmm. Seriously; The idea's been floating about in the back of my mind for a week or three now. I might have to look back into it.

See, the fact is, I've always been more fascinated with my maternal line. Simply because they're more fascinating! They're a real hotch potch of intriguing possibilities.

My paternal side? Peas in a pod as far back as I've got. But, then they drop off the radar and I, effectively, haven't got a as to my roots. Ironically; My mothers side were well known to have travelled as 'Gypsys'. Yet my Dads lot carry a well known Romani surname!

I haunt these boards really in search of clues to the maternal lot. Be bloody ironic if my Dad turned out to lead back to India!  :-X

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 September 09 19:10 BST (UK) »
On the subject of DNA, particularly pre neolithic, "The Origins of the British" by Stephen Oppenheimer is a very worthwhile read. His thesis in a nutshell is that the vast majority of people living in Britain today descend from a group of people who survived the last Ice Age in a refuge area in northern Spain, which approximates to the Basque region today.