Author Topic: Help with marriage please - Thomas O'Neill  (Read 3084 times)

Offline bigjon

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with marriage please - Thomas O'Neill
« on: Thursday 13 August 09 07:35 BST (UK) »
Trying to help a friend get started on her tree. Trying to find the marriage of Thomas O'Neill b.1877  d.29 March 1952.
He married Mary.............. b.1888 d. 1 May 1975.
Who were thier parents?

thanks    bigjon
Bennett, Tennant, Richards, Price.....Staffordshire
Reid, Brown, Harrison, Saunders, Coetzer........South Africa and Scotland.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Help with marriage please - Thomas O'Neill
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 August 09 08:22 BST (UK) »
An index to Irish Civil Records is available at : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=2;t=searchable;c=1408347   Full civil registration started in 1864

If you find a promising match you can order cert by post from the GRO - www.groireland.ie

do you know which county Thomas or Mary were from or where they may have married ?
O'Neill is quite a common name so it could be difficult to find the right marriage, especially since the bride has a common first name.

Did Thomas and Mary have any children ?  if they did it would be an idea to order a birth cert to establish Mary's maiden name.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bigjon

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 August 09 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi shane
thanks for the reply. I know they had a daughter Molly about 1920 but don't know exact date yet.
I think it must be Dromahair ( is it Co. Leitrim ) as there is some connection to the Cunningham family at the Manor there.
Thanks again for your interest and help.

bigjon
Bennett, Tennant, Richards, Price.....Staffordshire
Reid, Brown, Harrison, Saunders, Coetzer........South Africa and Scotland.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 August 09 10:16 BST (UK) »
Drumahaire Town, Co. Leitrim is in the Registration district of Manorhamilton - from the townlands database at www.thecore.com/seanruad

I dont see any promising matches for a Molly O'Neill born in this area but Molly is usually 'short' (petname or nickname) for Mary or Margaret..  this is the best match that I see so far :

type: birth

name : Margaret Anne O'Neill
  registration district: Manorhamilton
  quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1920
  volume: 2 - page  201

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline egoneill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 August 13 10:16 BST (UK) »
Thomas O'Neill was born on 31st August 1878 at Dunturk, Drumaroad, Co. Down. His father was Henry, a farmer, and mother Roseann Dornan. He married Mary Egan, born June 1887 at Kilcoosy, Dromahair, Co. Leitrim, in Belfast on 10th January 1911. Mary's father was John Egan, a stonemason, and mother Anne Carty.

Molly was born Mary Elizabeth in Belfast in 1919. Her sister Annaleen, born Co. Tyrone in 1926, married James Cunningham from The Manor.

Thomas and Mary had 12 children. He was a Bricklayer and Building Contractor. They moved from Belfast to Fivemiletown, Co. Tyrone in the early 1920's and later to Dromahair where their two youngest children were born.

He died on 29th March 1953 and she died on 1st May 1975 and are buried in Creevelea Abbey Cemetery, Dromahair.

Offline Maurice Tierney

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 September 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi maybe a bit late but my wifes father was a son of the same Thomas and Mary.we live in dublin and everything in your info adds up ie molly he being a stonemason and the move to leitrim