Author Topic: Why would a normal eighteenth century woman be literate?  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Why would a normal eighteenth century woman be literate?
« on: Friday 14 August 09 03:59 BST (UK) »
I have a somewhat mysterious ancestor whose name was Ann Richardson. In 1795 in Southwell St. Mary Minster, Notts., she married my ancestor David Fricknall. She was mother of nine children in total. She died in 1846 with an abode "King Street, Southwell" at the age of 76, giving her an approximate birthdate of abt 1769. In 1841 she was 72 (born Notts.) which is exactly consistant with this birthdate. Since her husband, a Caunton man, went to Southwell to marry her I suspected that was where she would be from. However I have not been able to trace her birth anywhere.

The strange part - at least I think it's strange, correct me if I'm wrong - is that in 1842 her youngest daughter Patience "Martha" Leeson left for America and the 73ish year old Ann wrote a very good poem called "A Mother's Wish" which was sent to Martha. It seems Ann was a very devout Christian and she was distressed that she would never see Martha again. However, I would have thought it unusual that a seemingly normal woman could write so well. She married into a normal labourer's family - though it is important to note that her husband became a very successful tailor who was wealthy enough by his death to leave a will (no other know Frecknalls at that time did). I thought perhaps that Ann might have been partly responsible for his success.

So I suppose my query is does any know what could account for her literacy? Were there any Richardsons of wealth/fame in Southwell in the eighteenth century? Also, any help in finding a possible Southwell area baptism for Ann c. 1769 would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Re: Why would a normal eighteenth century woman be literate?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 09 01:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexander,
The only baptism I can find in 1769 for Ann Richardson is as follows:
Ann Richardson born 16 Aug 1769, baptised 10 Sep 1769, at Clayworth - father Thomas, mother Mary.
As far as I can see there are no baptisms for any Richardsons at Southwell.
However, although I could not find this on my baptism information, I see there is another baptism in 1769, on the IGI:
03 Mar 1769 - Finningley - father William, mother Mary.
And, here is a little bit I found on women's literacy:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/06wr/
Hope this helps.
Paulene :)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 09 02:40 BST (UK) »
You might find a clue in a2a catalogue.  Go to "Advanced Search" and enter in the section: "Search for these words":- "Richardson Southwell" for the period 1500 to 1860 in the Nottinghamshire Repository there's mention of a William Richardson, linen draper, and also there are several wills for "Richardson" (no given names).   

Sometimes a landowner had estates in more than one county so it's wise to search through "All Respositories" to see who he collects rentals from.   There were several pages using the search term "Richardson Southwell".

There were no results for "Fricknall", the spelling in Notts seems to have been "Fricknell".   

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 09 03:19 BST (UK) »
First off, how do you know that Ann wrote the poem herself?  She could have copied it from some source.  Or, she could have had someone else compose and write it for her. 

On the other hand, there are exceptional individuals in any age and in all walks of life.  Perhaps she was a person with a strong desire to read who found a way to teach herself or to get instruction.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 August 09 04:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your comments, they're all very helpful.

Erato - That's a good point that I don't have any proof that Ann wrote the poem herself. I think I'm going to email the distant cousin again who has the poem and ask her more about it. However the poem is quite specific to the situation Ann was in.

Thanks again,
Alexander

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 August 09 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It is always possible that Ann Richardson married as they say "beneath her social status"

I know the area around Southwell very well. It is possible that Ann came from a nearby village perhaps Halam or Edingley. Baptisms at these villages would not show on a search of the Nottinghamshire FHS CD of baptisms and some don't show on the IGI either. So if you can be patient I'll have a look for you and see if I can find Ann Richardson in the parish registers.

Janeada

Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 August 09 08:59 BST (UK) »
Have you examined the parish register for her marriage to check whether she signed her name.  As she may have learn't to read and write at the Sunday School, although it is a little early for that to be very likely, it could be worth checking how many other local brides at that time also signed the register.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 August 09 15:15 BST (UK) »
I've got working class ancestors who were literate in the late 1700s/early 1800s.  I often wondered who had taught them.

Lizzie

Modified - Well at least they could write their name when they got married, which I suppose is not quite the same as being literate.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 August 09 15:22 BST (UK) »
The other possibilty of course is that she learnt to read and write after her husband began to make his money.  If the children were to be sent for paid education she may have felt the need to stay ahead.

David   
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk