Author Topic: 1770s marriage  (Read 3361 times)

Offline schumi fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1770s marriage
« on: Wednesday 02 March 05 10:01 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to get a copy of a marriage certificate from 1772.  As I live in Bristol -- a bit too far for a day trip! -- where could I get one?  Does St Andrews church, Yarmouth, still exist?  If so I might get one there.
Audrey

Offline Brian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1770s marriage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Audrey
I wonder how you know that St Andrews is the church that you want?  According to Pevsner it was built in the 1850's far too late for you and the Norfolk Record Office has its records from the 1880's.  St Nicholas Church is the Parish Church of Great Yarmouth and there was also St Georges at the time you state 1722.  There is no such thing as a wedding certificate then as they were not introduced until the beginning of civil registration.  What you could get is a copy of the entry in the register which will probably be no more than John X married Mary Y on the 2 March 1722 or whatever.  If you are seeking confirmation of an entry in the IGI for example you could either write to the Norwich Record Office, Archive Centre, Martineau Lane, Norwich NR1 2DQ or ring on 01603 222599 E-mail: norfrec@norfolk.gov.uk and ask for a check of the register and a copy -they will advise the price.  Hope that helps
Brian :)
Saunders  Norfolk and Suffolk.  Barkway and Barkaway - anywhere.
Mottershall anywhere
Ellis Clerkenwell/Camberwell
Saunders, Woodrow, Leggett, Potter Norfolk
Stacey, Booth, Pennington, Graham, Bennett, Hall, Mawson West Yorkshire
Cooper Cheshire/West Yorkshire
King, Sanger, Hiscock, Gray Wiltshire/Dorset/Hampshire
Barton, Ivett, Minns Cambridgeshire
Palfrey Suffolk
Cox, Crew, Burry Middlesex/Hertfordshire
Burrows Essex

Offline schumi fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1770s marriage
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brian
Thanks for your help.  I got the date and the church from Familysearch (the Mormons).  i know now that I don't get a certificate, my daughter told me.  I shall now try e-mailing the Norwich record office.  If nothing, I shall leave the amcestors to R.I.P!
Audrey