Author Topic: William Henry Cox - Any Census 1841 - 1891  (Read 12562 times)

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Cox - Any Census 1841 - 1891
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 August 09 19:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cat for having a look at the 1911 census for me.  I did have another look, after putting in Alice ? born in England 1860 + or -  7 years, resident on the IOM, it came up with 3 names  -

Alice Cain b 1862
Alice Corkill b 1867
Alice Ann Hogg b 1865

I am no expert at this but because I entered England as a birthplace these are the names that it came up with.  When I put in Alice Emily Cox without a birthplace it came up with the one you found, so perhaps there is someone who would know if the result of this one would mean that Alice Emily Cox was born on the IOM? 

On the index for the 1901 census I found an Alice Cain with her husband George
An Alice J Corkill with her husband Edward
An Alice Ann Hogg with her husband George

There was an abundance of Alice Emily/Emily Alice Coxes on the 1901, but not living on the IOM.  So either this was the Alice you found on the 1911 who was living with William Henry Cox on the 1901 or one of the many Alice Emily/Emily Alice Coxes moved to the IOM for the 1911 census. 

Many thanks
Ewan

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 August 09 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ewan,

Had a little look at 1911 census and as far as I can work out (without using credits) Alice Emily Cox is living alone as head of household.

I can't work out where she was born though...I have tried various options of Plymouth, Brighton, etc etc (and some random places like Liverpool and Manchester) and all the main towns of Isle of Man - but nothing matches yet.  Maybe she didn't fill in that bit.

Milly ;D

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 August 09 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Milly

I have been experimenting using the 'without credits' method on the 1911 census.  There doesn't appear to be many families with the Cox surname on this particular census.  In fact, there was only 6 females and no males, it looks like 4 of them lived in the same household (ie mum and 3 daughters).  An Alice Emily as mentioned on her own and a Louise Cox on her own.   I can't believe that, must be doing some wrong here.   I did have a go like yourself at trying to find Alice Emily's birthplace by putting in random places, when I put it    ''    it did come up with her name.   So I am more confused than ever.  Time for a lie down I think ???

Ewan

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 August 09 21:09 BST (UK) »
Yes - I only found the 6 that you found - and 4 of them in same household...so you are doing it right. 

Not sure how much you can find out without actually using some credits..

Did you try to find a marriage certificate for them?  Can't see anything obvious on England BMD - maybe they married in Isle of Man -or maybe not at all and that is why they moved there :o :o

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline margaret elizabeth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 August 09 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ewan,
 its me Liz from our manx board,
 are we sure william and alice are the ones your searching as in a message up a bove on here it is saying helen age 49 widow,

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 August 09 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Milly

I should think that is all you can find out without credits, with a bit of 'jiggory pokey!' you may find who else lived in the same household.

I have looked on freebmd but without knowing the whereabouts of Alice ?  it is difficult to find a marriage if any.  River (aka Liz) has kindly searched on the IOM for me to see if there is a marriage but it doesn't look like there is one.

Ewan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 August 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
OK Ewan,
 i search all records sorry nothing on marridge, no rates either, nothing to go back after 1894, now i did find something interesting, i bought some credits for my family past [ i needed one my self for my cain family ] and i used 10 credits to look at alice cox 1911 census and look what i got,

Alice emily cox age 44 widow-occupation- electro plater and gilder and close plater by hand,where -born Ryde isle of white, i dont think they married because 1911 census tells you how mant years married and this blank her address was Ballagary crosby marown, i know this area well as i walk past through old railway lines, i wonder if he was  on the isle of white befor here on isle of man,,

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 August 09 18:10 BST (UK) »
That sounds very promising.

The question regarding marriage would not have been relevant if she was a widow as they were asked to state the ‘years the present marriage has lasted’.  As there was no present marriage she would not have filled that in - so I don't think it can be taken that they were not married.

Milly ;D

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 August 09 18:34 BST (UK) »
Milly,
 interesting isnt it the occupation she had, i wonder if william was training her,  i also wonder if they married in isle of white, i looked at a site for there but no maridge there was one for william cox and a margaret ?