Author Topic: Marriage in Wexford  (Read 6213 times)

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Marriage in Wexford
« on: Saturday 15 August 09 09:05 BST (UK) »
Please can someone do a marriage lookup for me, I am looking for the marriage of John Evans and Mary Ann...... in Wexford? around 1860, I realise that the information is a little scant but I am afraid that is all I have.
Also please could someone tell me what the initials GPV stand for on the 1901 census?
Thank you so much for your interest.

Best Wishes Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 August 09 09:10 BST (UK) »
do you know what religion John and Mary were ?

full civil registration started in 1864, but non-catholic marriages were registered from 1845 (these would include registry office marriages) - so if this applies to John and Mary they will be included in the Civil Register. An index to this is available at :  http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=2;t=searchable

If you find a promising match you can order a research cert from the GRO by post - see www.groireland.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 August 09 09:57 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Shane I do not have a clue about the religion, all I know is that John Evans was born in Wales and on the 1901 census he is living with his wife Mary Ann and son Richard Ayre Evans @1861, they are living in Ballingbarney and his occupation is given as shoemaker and then it says Resident GPV 1846.
Can you tell me please are there any earlier censuses for Ireland?

Very Best Wishes Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 August 09 10:13 BST (UK) »
unfortunately the oldest surviving census of Ireland is 1901..

the familysearch index I mentioned earlier seems to be down for maintenance at the moment, but it is worth checking this.

To start a search of parish records you need to know the religion and location (parish or townland). Some parish record transcripts are available on the Irish Family History Foundation website but Co. Wexford is not included at the moment. RC records are available on microfilm in the National Library (www.nli.ie) and many Church of Ireland records are available at the Representative Church Body in Rathfarnham  (www.ireland.anglican.org)

not sure if this would be on any use ... but there is the 'census substitute' Griffiths Valuation which was carried out in the 1850s and includes  heads of households. This was a land taxation survey - a (free) version can be found here : http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_start.php

sorry no idea on the GPV notation - where on the page is this written ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline darian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 August 09 10:58 BST (UK) »
A quick look at the 1911 census shows about a dozen evans in wexford. all are Church of Ireland with the exception of a child living with her RC grandparents. So looks like it is good for your search for a marriage in the 1860 period. Two of the Evans were on trading ships in the harbour on the night. One was the master of the workhouse. Good luck with your search. The 'Resident GVP 1846' note is a mystery to me!
Gabby

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 August 09 14:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Shane and Gabby for your help, you have certainly given me a lot to work on!!

Best Wishes to you both, Bethan

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 August 09 20:04 BST (UK) »
Could GPV be an abbreviation for Griffiths Primary Valuation? Although GPV 1846 seems at odds with this as Griffiths started in 1848.

Dara.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 August 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
the familysearch index website is back online but I dont see any John Evans marriages listed between 1850 and 1870. There are a few other Evans marriages in the county.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline darian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 August 09 23:18 BST (UK) »
Yes. GVP is obviously Griffiths Primary Valuation. I suppose you have linked in with the evans of Wicklow. Lots of info  there.  Gabby