Author Topic: Market Drayton Bap. Henry Abbots 1822. 2 daddies?  (Read 6035 times)

Offline red40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Market Drayton Bap. Henry Abbots 1822. 2 daddies?
« on: Saturday 15 August 09 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hello. Can anyone look up the following christening please? Henry Abbots Market Drayton 15 12 1822. On IGI Henry's parents are given as Thomas and Frances Abbots. But surprise surprise on Henry's marriage certificate he gives his fathers name as Piercy Pace. I have looked for a marriage date for Thomas Abbots and Frances hoping that might help but no success. Grateful for any help.
RED

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Market Drayton Bap. Henry Abbots 1822. 2 daddies?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 14:06 GMT (UK) »

I've read your post on my Archives look up thread, and I assume that this is your other post to which you were referring to?

Could you post the full details from Henry's marriage certificate please? 

:)

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 14:43 GMT (UK) »

While I'm waiting for the marriage certificate details, I've been looking at all the census and my mind boggles as to why Henry gives Piercy Pace as his father ??? ???

I've been able to find Piercy (born 1828) in the 1841 census with his parents, Sandford and Elizabeth, and siblings, then up to 1881, where he eventually ends up married to an Elizabeth Cross (Marriage on FreeBMD, Sep Q 1867, Wrexham, 11b, 462)

By the 1891 I see Elizabeth is at her sister's, Mary Povah, in Whitchurch.  Elizabeth's status is still married but no sign of Piercy ???

I can't find any other Piercy Pace to fit the bill :-\

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 14:53 GMT (UK) »
This death seems to fit, although perhaps not the area you'd expect:

Deaths Sep 1887 
PACE  Piercy         aged 59   
Ormskirk 8b 538

Could he be a witness, recorded in the wrong place on the marriage cert?  Unlikely, I admit....  ???  ???
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Rambler.....that's interesting ;)  I forgot to check outside of Shropshire :-[

This has got me completely stumped.  I did think about a witness etc. given that Henry and Piercy were of similar age.  Would have been easier if Piercy's father was also a Piercy......that would have been more feasible ;D

Can't wait for Red to post cert details ;D

Offline red40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Oh thank you so much for your interest. I didnt want to weigh you down with too much information and didnt want you to waste your time going over what i'd found. My mind is boggled too !!
Marriage certificate-  Hodnet parish church 28 January 1851. Henry Abbotts, full age, bachelor, residence Peplow, Fathers name Piercy Pace Shopkeeper. Bride  Mary Corser residence Peplow father William. Witnesses William Corser and Jane Prichard

As you see I followed the wrong Henry Abbots for a time!
Yes there is a Piercy Pace shopkeeper in Hodnet around 1822. Ive also searched the Pace Family History site on Google. There is a Piercy Pace on there b. 1779 ish that might fit and the younger one born the same year as Henry.
I'm so very grateful for your help

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Gosh!! There's a lot of info about the PACE family.

I also found another baptism in Hodnet:-

3 Jan 1781
Pierce Pace

Parents: Pierce Pace & Rebecca

Another possibility ???

Henry Abbots Market Drayton 15 12 1822. On IGI Henry's parents are given as Thomas and Frances Abbots

I wonder if Henry was the illegitimate child of Frances, and was given Thomas' surname when he was baptised, but gave his real father's name when he married ???

Offline red40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lloydy. Yes I wondered about Frances too but both Henrys seem rather close in age. Ive checked their ages with d.o.d. and this verifies one b. 1822 and one b.1823 not impossible I know. Im still hopeful that the answer is in the Hodnet parish register .Many thanks for your time already.
Beryl

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 March 11 10:57 GMT (UK) »

Hi Beryl

As I have found this intriguing, I'll check out Henry's baptism tomorrow at the Archives, and if I get time I'll check marriages for Thomas and Frances, and any other details about Piercy Pace.

Fingers crossed ;D