Author Topic: CROMAR family 1750- 1871  (Read 8152 times)

Offline ROSANNA J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CROMAR family 1750- 1871
« on: Saturday 15 August 09 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been researching the family of George Cromar and Margaret nee Barclay, married abt 1800, maybe as late as 1808.  I am mostly interested in John Barclay Cromar, one of their sons, born 1811. Any info would be very helpful, births, marriages, deaths[maybe 1829 death of George                                                                                                                 I am also interested in Margaret after  George died. I think I have found her on '41, '51, and '61 Scotland censuses in Old Machar, Aberdeenshire. In '41 Archibald age 30 and Isabel 4 live with her, and Isabel is with her in '51 and '61. I would like to know if Isabel is Archibald's daur, and who was his wife, did she die?
Is this Archibald Farquharson Cromar who ended up in Cheshire, married to Christina LLoyd, with more children
Maybe a lot to ask
Thanks Rosanna J
banner/wakefield of cheshire, joynson of whitley, chester and birkenhead, illingworth of leeds,  audley liverpool, roberts liverpool, smith of winsford and birkenhead, webster&hough chorley, waterson isleof man, richardson liverpool, underhill  middlesex and liverpool, winn  bristol and liverpool, cowdall jersey, howlan/holden of ireland and liverpool, fairclough liverpool, o'leary ireland and liverpool, grant/whitehall of wrexham and liverpool, zelen of sweden and liverpool, upton of  middlesex

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: CROMAR FAMILY 1750- 1871
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 August 09 17:51 BST (UK) »
hi rosanna  :)

don't know if you have seen this -

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=alabama_adkinson&id=P3252008323

ev

ps the 1841 census you mention is in kinnettles angus according to freeCEN  ???
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 August 09 18:08 BST (UK) »
There are so many family trees on this line on Ancestry - do you have access to it? I also found this:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/cromar/messages/46.html

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ROSANNA J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 August 09 20:33 BST (UK) »
I have John Barclay, on all censuses. His sister Barbara was his housekeeper for a while, as he was widowed after only 3 years, and left with 3 daughters.  Then his daughter Margaret, who never married, looked after him. My family are from his daughter Frances Jane.
Rosanna J
banner/wakefield of cheshire, joynson of whitley, chester and birkenhead, illingworth of leeds,  audley liverpool, roberts liverpool, smith of winsford and birkenhead, webster&hough chorley, waterson isleof man, richardson liverpool, underhill  middlesex and liverpool, winn  bristol and liverpool, cowdall jersey, howlan/holden of ireland and liverpool, fairclough liverpool, o'leary ireland and liverpool, grant/whitehall of wrexham and liverpool, zelen of sweden and liverpool, upton of  middlesex

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CROMAR family 1750- 1871
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 August 09 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosanna

These look to be the main entries from trees on Ancestry. The sources would have to be checked but something to work from for those entries that you don't yet have:

George Cromar (1772-1829)
Margaret Barclay (1777-1862)…died in Old Marchar Aberdeenshire
Isabella Cromar (1801-1886)…died in Aberdeen
Barbara Cromar (1801-1891)…died in Sorn, Aryshire
Elizabeth Cromar (1805-1857)…died in Woodside Aberdeen
Alexander Ramsay Cromar (1807-1846)…died in New Castle on Tyne, Northumberland
Archibald Farquarson Cromar (1809-1880)… died in Birkenhead, Cheshire
John Barclay Cromrar (1811-1886)… died in Pennyffordd, Hope, Flintshire, Wales
Robert Cromar (1813-1890)…died in Aberdeen St Nicholas
George Glenny Cromar (1817-1827)…died in Banchory-Ternan, Kincardine
Arthur Cromar (1819-1891)…died in ?
James Hogg Cromar (1821-1828)…died in Old Marchar, Aberdeenshire

Monica

Offline ROSANNA J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monia for info.
I thought I'd found Margaret Cromar nee Barclay, on 51  and 61 censuses, but her  birth place doesn't match with other researchers. On the censuses it is Durris, Kincardineshire, but I think on the genforum you had me look at, it is Abercorn, West Lothian.
Rosanna J

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosanna

From the genforum link I found, there is a reference to Aboyne (in Aberdeenshire) but not in connection with Margaret Barclay.

Her death cert will let you confirm her parents (showing on Ancestry Tree as john Barclay and Isobel Hogg). There is a christening entry that might be hers with these parents and this shows on IGI on 01 OCT 1780 in Maryculter, Kincardine.

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 14:01 BST (UK) »
On checking Scotlands People's Last Wills & Testaments, there are a couple of entries:

Mrs Margaret Cromar, 21/08/1862 alias Barclay, residing in Aberdeen, Widow of George Cromar, Teacher at Bankhead of Birse   T. 21/08/1862 SC1/37/50/p377 See Also SC1/36/51/3   Aberdeen Sheriff Court Wills - SC1/37/50

Mrs Margaret Cromar, 21/08/1862 alias Barclay, residing in Aberdeen, Widow of George Croma,Teacher at Bankhead of Birse   T. 21/08/1862 SC1/37/50/p377   Aberdeen Sheriff Court Inventories   - SC1/36/51

Monica

Offline ROSANNA J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Monica, I think maybe the censuses are her after all
Rosanna