Author Topic: James Kelly and Annie Thornley  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Kelly and Annie Thornley
« on: Sunday 16 August 09 06:50 BST (UK) »
I am researching my husband's G. Grandfather James Colville Kelly who was born in Chester 15 July 1870 he married Annie Thornley who was born 18 July 1879 in Hyde Cheshire. I know they were married in South Africa and James in on the 1891 census living in Howarden Flintshire. His Grandfather Charles Colville was born 10 July 1898 in Germiston. I would like to find out when they went from England to South Africa, on which ship would it have been, would it have been from Liverpool. Can anyone help or advice me on where I could find this information please.
Parker - Devon and Surrey, Walden - Northampton, Skinner - Devon, Freer - Hammersmith, Newcombe St. Pancras, Sweeting - Beckenham Kent, Elsey - Surrey, Godsmark - Sussex, Spring - Clapham, Willis - Chelsea, Gellard - Middlesex, Jones - Chelsea

Tygerr

Re: James Kelly and Annie Thornley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to find out more information from the National Archives or South Africa? (http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl)

I did a quick search in there, and there are a number of James and Annie Kelly's, although none of them match up 100% with your information.
There was a James Charles Kelly who died in the Transvaal in 1926 who was survived by a spouse named Annie.

And there was a Charles Colville (no Kelly) who died in Natal in 1936.

Colville is a more unique name, but there are no James Colville Kelly's in the system. There was a Thomas Colville Kelly that was living in the Witwatersrand area in 1903.

If you do manage to find any index entries in the archives that seem to match up to the people you're looking for, you could try get photographs of the archive documents sent to you by the genealogical society: http://www.eggsa.org/sales/eshop_e_dc_docs.htm

Finding the ship they travelled on and when they came over might be a lot more difficult, as the passenger lists are far from complete for those time periods.

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.
Parker - Devon and Surrey, Walden - Northampton, Skinner - Devon, Freer - Hammersmith, Newcombe St. Pancras, Sweeting - Beckenham Kent, Elsey - Surrey, Godsmark - Sussex, Spring - Clapham, Willis - Chelsea, Gellard - Middlesex, Jones - Chelsea

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 February 14 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Quite a while ago someone put me onto the estate details of James Charles Kelly's estate details - death being 22nd July 1926 place of marriage Boksburg, Transvaal. I have tried to find wife Annie's death after this date but haven't had any luck.

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 February 14 05:13 GMT (UK) »
There is a cemetery entry in sector 12 Germiston, the same sector as James, for an Annie Kelly who died on 25 Aug 1932. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a death notice for her. This is likely to be her though.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 February 14 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that Ruth.

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 February 14 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to be a pain Ruth, is there any way I can take this further by finding out which cemetery in Germiston this is and looking into the possibility that someone over there could take a photo of the grave or give any other information? Julie