Author Topic: Saint Dunstan's Stepney  (Read 11821 times)

Offline NSW

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Saint Dunstan's Stepney
« on: Sunday 16 August 09 08:45 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone had access to PR of St Dunstan Stepney. I would like a look up for the following marriage but I'm not sure when it took place. The marriage was between William Williams and Margaret Dalby. The following is what I know about these ancestors:

William Williams b 14/8/1714 (parents William Williams and Ann Hughes) and christened on 26/9/1714 at Saint Dunstan, Stepney England
Margaret Dalby b 14/8/1714 (parents William Dalby and Elizabeth) and christened on 26/9/1714 at Saint Dunstan, Stepney England

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Saint Dunstan's Stepney
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 09 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat

Because of the size of populations in London parish church areas it isn't really possible to search London parish registers for a requested look up - searching year after year in the hope of finding an entry. This would be quite literally hours of work.  St Dunstan Stepney parish registers for baptisms and marriages have been indexed by the IGI, in the case of marriages 1568-1864. Nothing is showing in the index.

If you don't have a marriage how do you know the mother's maiden name was Dalby? Is it based on this baptism?

DALBEE WILLIAMS
Christening:  28 MAR 1742   Saint Dunstan, Stepney, London, 
Age at Christening:  1   
Father:  WILLIAM WILLIAMS 
Mother:  MARGARET 

When was the first known child baptised at St Dunstan Stepney? This child?

REBECCA WILLIAMS
Christening:  15 JAN 1737   Saint Dunstan, Stepney, London
Age at Christening:  1   
Father:  WM WILLIAMS 
Mother:  MARGT 

Therefore you would be looking for a marriage pre 1737 at most about 5 years pre 1737 based on the 1714 baptisms. As the marriage does not appear on the IGI you could search for it in Boyds marriage index

http://www.britishorigins.com/

The parish registers for St Dunstan Stepney are held at the London Metropolitan Archives.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nevclox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 December 09 00:04 GMT (UK) »
G'day NSW,

I am afraid that I cannot help you with info. on the marriage of William Williams & Margaret Dalby.  However you may be able to help me!

I am presently researching my GGG/mother Sarah Williams/Barlow/Brookfield and have a problem with her parentage.  I have her father Dalby Williams b,1777 & mother Hannah Thurgood b.1780.    However several family members have her father Dalby b.1751 as marrying three times;  Ann Springall, Hannah Weight, & Hannah Thurgood, with Hannah as her mother!  I think that this is unlikely.     Do you have any record regarding this? 

Kind regards,   Neville Taggart          Email:  Moderator comment: e-mail address removed to prevent spamming and other abuse.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thank you

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 December 09 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat. After three posts you are able to use the personal messaging system on Rootschat which will send an email notification to this poster. That might be better as the poster's profile states that haven't been on Rootschat since October.

In the meantime the detail from the two Hannah marriages

St George In The East 12th February 1787
Dalby Williams Widower of the parish
Hannah Weight Spinster of the parish
Marriage by banns. Both signed
Witnesses George Wright and Sarah Boyle

St Mary, Whitechapel 7th July 1804
Dalby Williams Bachelor of this parish
Hannah Thurgood  Spinster of this parish
Marriage by banns. Both signed
Witnesses Thomas Martin and Mary Wright

Regards

Valda
co-moderator London and Middlesex board
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nevclox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 December 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
G'day Valda'

Many thanks for your help & advice.  It would seem that I am on the right track with Dalby shown as a bachelor in the marriage to Hannah Thurgood, not a widower as in the marriage to Hannah Weight!

Now I have to chase up more details of the Thurgood marriage. The Dalby that I am chasing would have been 27 at that time -- a good marriage candidate.

Kindest regards,     Nev.

Offline Argyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 February 20 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Dalby Williams (Waterman) (1751-1842) married twice.   First marriage 6 Oct 1776 to Ann Springall (7 children) then he remarried 12 Feb 1787 to Hannah Weight.   (Ann Springall died in 1786).   Dalby and Hannah Weight had a further 7 children together.    The oldest child of Dalby Williams (1751-1842) and Ann Springall was Dalby William Williams (1777-1853). It was this Dalby who married Hannah Mary Thurgood on 7 July 1804 at Whitechapel.   There are numerous Dalbys in the Williams's and I have spent many hours sorting them out (I am also a Williams).   Hope this helps.