Author Topic: Hayton in Hutton (or possibly Helton), Westmorland  (Read 11603 times)

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hayton in Hutton (or possibly Helton), Westmorland
« on: Sunday 16 August 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the baptism of Betty or Elizabeth Hayton c1766 (my 3x gt. grandmother) and getting throughly confused  ???  On the two census returns that exist for Betty (1851 & 1861) she says she was born at "Hutton, Westmorland".  I take this to be either Old Hutton or New Hutton which were both townships within the parish of Kendal. What I can't fathom is whether or not these townships had their own churches around the mid 18th century or would people who lived their have to use Kendal parish church? I'm hoping someone knows the area better than I do and can help me.

On the IGI here is a baptism for a Betty Hayton at Kendal in 1771 it is a bit later than I would have liked but still possible.  The IGI only start their coverage of Old Hutton and New Hutton in 1813. So I am a little wary in case there are registers at either Old Hutton or New Hutton which the IGI do not have.

Getting a bit desperate, ::)

Janeada
Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hayton in Hutton, Westmorland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 09 12:21 BST (UK) »
There is Hutton Roof too.    Have a look at www.genuki.org.uk as that should show which churches existed when and what the coverage is on the IGI.  According to Phillimore New Hutton coverage is only 1813 to 1875 and Old Hutton is 1813 to 1862, so both starting 1813 as you say.   Of course the churches were established well before that (1741 and 1685) so you need to look at the original registers which are at Kendal.  Or you can get them on film to search at your nearest LDS FH centre - listed on familysearch and worldwide.  If you are near London the Society of Geneaolgists will probably have them too.
Andrea

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 August 09 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you sillgen.  The LDS don't have anything for Old and New Hutton before 1813 I have checked the library catalogue which is why I wondered if they were both chapels of ease and their respective baptisms etc being recorded in Kendal registers. Yet a little booklet I bought from Cumbria Archive seems to suggest that the registers start from 1741 for New Hutton and 1686 for Old Hutton - hence my confusion!  Hutton Roof registers start 1813 whichever source you look at so that is probably not the one I want.

I suppose the easy way out of this is to ask the Archive people to do the research for me but that will be very expensive given the hourly fee they charge.

Janeada
Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 August 09 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
Your profile does not give any indication of where you live but ordering the film via an LDS centre is really worthwile if you can do it.  Are you sure they do not have a film of the whole register?    That is a pest.  They often do even though the index coverage is not for all of it.  You see all the entries - deaths as well - and can build up a real picture of the family.  It might be worth asking at your nearest one just in case.   Hutton Roof registers start at 1799, though again IGI coverage is only from 1813, but in any case if she was born there then she would have been taken to the nearest church for baptism anyway.
Who did she marry?   Does that entry hold any clues in the way of witnesses?
Andrea

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 August 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If your booklet is 'Cumbrian Ancestors' (3rd edition) it is the resource most commonly used locally, albeit printed 10 years ago.

At the time you are researching, New Hutton and Old Hutton were 2 of the 14 chapelries/townships in the Parish of Kendal which had their own churches/chapels.

Your are correct in your earlier message that the baptisms were recorded in the registers of Holy Trinity, Kendal. This is where the IGI causes confuson in that the entries from all 14 chapels appear as 'Kendal' and it does not differentiate. Unfortunately there is no alternative to checking the original Parish Records to confirm or not.

To confuse matters further, the IGI records are taken from the BTs not the PRs, and so any errors and omissions are compounded.

You will probably find that KRO will undertake a free search as long as it does not take more than 10 minutes. If you are a member of Cumbria FHS you may find someone to help or there will be other researchers who charge less than £27 / hour.

Good Luck

Chris

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 August 09 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you Sillgen and ChrisWest for all the helpful comments.

Sillgen, I was going to ask at the local LDS family history centre. The nearest one to me is just outside Nottingham but they are closed until the beginning of September. It can be very frustrating if you order the "wrong" film so I was just trying to make sure where I should be looking. Elizabeth Hayton married Edward Fisher 11 August 1798 at the parish church in Kendal. They lived in Kendal and produced seven children, Thomas, Jonathan, Dorothy, Robert, Edward, Barbary and Elizabeth.  All of those names appear in the two previous generations of the Fisher family so there isn't really a clue in the names. The 1771 baptism I found was a child of Miles and Elizabeth Hayton so if this was my Elizabeth/Betty then she didn't use her father's name for one of her children, nor do any of her grandchildren so far as I know have the name Miles.

ChrisWest, my booklet is "Cumbrian Ancestors" published in 1988 and very useful it has been over the years. I was guessing when I said that the baptisms might be in Kendal parish registers. This happens at Ulverston, Lancashire too where there were several small chapels of ease most of which later became parish churches in their own right. It can make finding the register you need a bit of a puzzle.

Thank you once again,

Janeada

P.S. One of my Fisher Family married a William Sill at Kendal (1866) I think he was born at Blackburn c1847. Is he anything to do with your tree Sillgen?

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 August 09 08:38 BST (UK) »
Not long until September.   I used to use the local LDS centre every week.    The London one is good too.  My known Sill family are mainly Yorkshire and Durham but in fact after over 20 years of searching I have not got a positive baptism for Francis Sill born c1790 so they could be from anywhere.  I just note all the ones I come across and hope.  If I could only join him up I could go back years in many directions!
Andrea

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 August 09 13:54 BST (UK) »
You have my sympathy Sillgen.  I think just about every family historian who has worked their way back through the 19th century has at least one like that.

I've sent an e-mail to Kendal Archive asking them to have a look at the 1771 baptism of Betty Hayton for me. Hopefully it will show a place of abode.

Janeada

Offline DickieDoodle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 August 09 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

After reading this topic, I'm just wondering if Andrea gets commission from LDS!!

With all due respect, to any unexperienced genealogist surfing the internet it would appear that you are suggesting that the LDS is the prime and best source of information. Admittedly, the IGI is an invaluable SECONDARY source which helps if you do not live within the research area, but the BEST & PRIMARY source has to be the Parish Registers.

According to the South Westmorland Family History website, there are hundreds of baptisms missing from the IGI for Kendal Parish, so ordering a film which may contain errors and omissions could well be a waste of money.

You may also be interested to know that baptisms were taking place in New Hutton as early as 1729 as per Holy Trinity, Kendal PARISH REGISTERS!!

Regards

DD