Author Topic: anybody know llangeler?  (Read 7943 times)

Offline magicdragon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: anybody know llangeler?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 January 11 15:27 GMT (UK) »

well I wouldnt say they were an exciting bunch on my side but Evan is certainly a colourful soul and his father in law was a real character, I gather more than three thousand attended the old mans funeral.  I have the funeral and will stuff that is signed by Evan so it is nice to actually see how fluent he is.

we cud exchange pics ect if u wish, best regards

magic d

Offline LindaGregory152

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 August 18 10:16 BST (UK) »
I know this is a long time since you first posted this, but I have just come across it. I am descended from Daniel and Hannah. They were my 3x great grandparents and their son John my 2x great grandfather!
Gregory, Elliott, Bray, Widdicombe, Warren, Honeywell, Haddy: Brixham/South Devon
Jones: Llangeler
Edmonds, Fort(t), Epton, Taylor: South Petherton/Martock Somerset
Valentine, Edwards, Jones: Cardiganshire (Ysbty Ystwyth, Llanbadarn Fawr), Llanidloes, Penrhiwceiber
Richards, Griffiths, Arthur: Tenby/Pembrokeshire

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 September 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynda congratulations on your discovery. I have not done much family history over the last 5 years or so but I do know that the members tree that I belived to be correct (referred to earlier in this thread) was incorrect. Which led me to re consider Daniels parents. I contacted Carmarthen archives to see if they could search Llangeler for me and they responded that there was no birth matching the details I gave for Daniel or Hannah, but I have the following in my notes:

Daniel birth

'I have an 1804 parish baptism of ‘Daniel John son of David and Mary John’- no address given. Note: there are no Jones’ to be had, it seems they are all recorded as ‘John’ instead which is normal. Looks promising. Note - It could be the David Jones, Court that witnessed his marriage which was to come in 1828, and also bear in mind that Daniels address at time of marriage is Cwrt Mill, Pentrecwrt (I assume).'

Hannah birth
'Nothing on FindMyPast for Hannah jones of that year, confirmed by Carms archives too, just Hanna daughter of Thomas and Rachel Oliver and Anna daughter of Daniel & Mary John (see 1804 baptisms  in Daniels folder)'

Let me know if I can help with other bits.

Thanks

Steve

Offline LindaGregory152

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 September 18 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Thanks for that information. It confirms what I have on my tree, always good to get someone else who is working on the same lines. It is so hard to get further back, particularly as I don't live in the area and can't access the records office myself.

Thanks again
Linda
Gregory, Elliott, Bray, Widdicombe, Warren, Honeywell, Haddy: Brixham/South Devon
Jones: Llangeler
Edmonds, Fort(t), Epton, Taylor: South Petherton/Martock Somerset
Valentine, Edwards, Jones: Cardiganshire (Ysbty Ystwyth, Llanbadarn Fawr), Llanidloes, Penrhiwceiber
Richards, Griffiths, Arthur: Tenby/Pembrokeshire

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 February 19 09:00 GMT (UK) »
According to the book "Hanes Plwyfi Llangeler a Phenboyr" gan Daniel E Jones

I'm late to this conversation, but this book caught my eye, as I've been reading old posts about Llangeler.
The entire book is now scanned and available on Ancestry, and I spotted my great great grandfather Evan Thomas, of Blaenesgair listed in the subscribers in the back. I'm afraid I can't (even with the help of the awful Google translate) work out what it's about... Evan Thomas's son David Thomas was a regular participant in eisteddfodds in the area, so would be curious is there is any mention of him, if that's actually what the subject matter is.
They were also descended from Lloyds of Llangeler and are both buried in Penrhiw. Interestingly, there was a cousin from the area named Eben Jones, a similar age to my David Thomas (born 1877) but I know nothing about him, or where he fits into my big jigsaw.
Please could anyone enlighten me as to the contents of the book, and whether it's worth browsing through all 446 pages for any mentions?

Many thanks,
Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:04 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch has a PDF version which can be searched using screen search/find etc - as an alternative to "browsing 446 pages". You need to be registered (FREE) to access FamilySearch.

Was Evan's wife Anne?' Died late January 1906. There's an obituary (in Welsh) in the Baner ac Amserau Cymru, 14 Jan 1906. If "your" Anne, can let you have a transalation if required.

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I will have a look at family search this morning.
Sadly, having no Welsh at all, and since my Welsh speaking mother died, I always have to ask for help.

Yes, the Anne you have found is Evan's second wife, they are buried together at Penrhiw.
I would very much like to see it please. I wonder if I could trouble you to see if there is one for Evan, who died at Blaenesgair on February 2nd, 1925?

Thank you so much,
Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:31 GMT (UK) »
The Welshnewspapers online only go up to 1919.

The URL for FamilySearch is
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/oclc/866243395?availability=Family%20History%20Library

There are 3 Eben Jones listed under Tanysgryfwyr/Subscribers

Will send you a PM re. translation