Author Topic: CALDER family from Berwickshire,Scotland to Australia  (Read 14367 times)

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CALDER family from Berwickshire,Scotland to Australia
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 April 12 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information .i have sent this research to my mother in law in Adelaide. She will be so pleased to hear about lthis history.      I am on holiday in Melbourne but when home  will be able to access the family history and reply in detail
Christine Edwards Turramurra
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline PaulFH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 April 12 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,

I was very interested to find this thread on the Calders from Berwickshire, Scotland.

According to my research, I am a direct descendant of your above-mentioned Adam Calder (m Anne Irvine) via his son Turnbull Calder (1807-75), then his son William Allan Calder (1841-1915) from Ayton and then Oxenrig Farm near Coldstream. My grandfather John Robertson Calder (1889-1976) was William Allan Calder's son and he was born at Oxenrig.

I have a fairly comprehensive family tree originally drawn up by my grandfather's aunt, Anne Irvine Calder (a daughter of Turnbull Calder), and since added to by I'm not quite sure whom. I also have managed to source some additional details myself after a week combing the graveyards of Berwickshire back in 1986.

I would be most interested to hear about the family tree information you have and how you have sourced it. Also perhaps we could share information, so that I could add something to your family tree chart and you to mine?

Regards,
Paul

Offline Laybourn, Val

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I am a new member of Rootschat.  I found your blog.  My husband's family name is Laybourn and Margaret Calder (daughter of Adam Calder and Ann Irvine) married Thomas Laybourn on 3rd May 1822 in Foulden Deans Berwickshire (she was 25 and he was 62!!).  There were four children of this marriage.  One died in infancy, Ann stayed in the UK and Adam and his sister and his widowed mother Margaret went to NZ in 1864.  Thomas died in 1845 and is buried in Ayton.  We have just returned from a family researching trip to the UK and visited Ayton, Foulden Deans and Berwick on Tweed as Thomas had a shop in Berwick from 1803-1825.  Anything you can add to our family tree would be appreciated.

Offline PaulFH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val,

If your ancestor Margaret Calder was the daughter of Adam Calder and Ann/Anne(?) Irvine, then it seems she must have been the sister of my ancestor Turnbull Calder (1807-75) - see my message above. The dates sound about right, but I don't have any Margaret down as Turnbull's sister on the family tree that was passed down to me. Admittedly there seem to be some omissions and errors in the family tree I have, which I have been trying to sort out.

Perhaps we could compare what we do each have, and see where that leads?

I haven't posted enough messages on here yet to be able to use the PM facility (one more post after this one would be enough) so just reply on here if you want to get in touch.

Offline Laybourn, Val

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 00:11 GMT (UK) »
I have been told that Margaret Calder was born 15th April 1797 and baptised on 30th April 1797 in Dunbar, Scotland.  The other dates I have (do not have verification of source) was that Adam Calder was born on 25th June 1762 and Ann Irvine was born on 22 November 1767.  They were married on 6th June 1788 at Spott.  Adam died 23 March 1847 and Anne died December 1847.

Offline PaulFH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Those dates all fit with the ones I have, so it would appear that Margaret Calder was indeed an older sister of Turnbull Calder. I have some names for Calders going further back in line than the Adam Calder who married Ann Irvine, but I am not yet sure how accurate they are and so I am trying to verify them through other sources.

Offline rob.pugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 July 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
I know this is old but hope some people are still watching.
I am also a descendant of the Calder's mentioned (Robert Calder and Martha Hood), via Elizabeth Anne Calder. My partner and I are also trying to trace back so any information would be gratefully received. We also have a copy of my Grandmother's reminiscences (Mary Helen Crowther) including some minor details of the family at Polkemmet (Calders and Hoods). Happy to share once we have typed them up. I note some details may be shared by Christine Edwards Turramurra.
As a matter of interest HDW mentioned '...I don't know if you've ever been to Duns (as it's now spelt), but there's a HOOD headstone in the churchyard which is very informative about that family, who farmed at Grueldykes.' - When MH Crowther was at Polkemmet there were book prizes from 'Duns Academy' - presumably Martha Hood's.

Offline Faibiana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 March 21 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Anita, I am a descendant of the Calders/Hoods of Polkemmet.
If your offer to share photos still stands I would love to see your collection.
Thanks
Fay

Hi Chris,

I am not a descendant of Robert Calder, but I have an interesting connection to this family.

My ancestor was Capt. Picken who was the ships captain on the ship which Robert Calder and his family immigrated on. The remained friends for the rest of their lives, and Samuel Picken's eldest daughter, Elizabeth McKinlay Picken, became a governess to the Calder children at Polkemmet.
I have photos of Robert Calder if you are interested, and I would be very interested if you have any photos of the Calder family (Robert, Martha, or their children).  I have many unnamed photos in my album and I know that there will be more photos of the Calder family.

Regards,

Anita.