Author Topic: CALDER family from Berwickshire,Scotland to Australia  (Read 14317 times)

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CALDER family from Berwickshire,Scotland to Australia
« on: Monday 17 August 09 01:14 BST (UK) »
Seeking any descendants from the families of
Adam CALDER b. 1763 d.1847 m?IRVINE in Ayton Berwickshire,Scotland.
Robert CALDER b.1790  d.1848 m Helen DAVIDSON in Ayton.
Robert CALDER b.1826  d.1887 m Martha HOOD (b.at Dunse Scotland)

Robert and Martha arr Port Philip Victoria,Australia c1851
Places in Victoria were Ararat,Polkemmet,Horsham

Turramurra
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline colinskene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CALDER family from Berwickshire,Scotland to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 September 09 21:51 BST (UK) »
I know quite a few Calders in Berwickshire, most of them are farmers. Not sure if they would be descendants of your family members but might be worth a try. I  will ask their permission to send their email address

Colin
Skene, Skeen, Virtue, Spark, Nelson, Dickson, Berwickshire, Bogend, Cairns Mill, Duns, Preston

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 September 09 22:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the help Colin

I look forward to hearing from them
My Mother in Law is named "Colin" After an uncle who died WW1

Chris
Turramurra
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline RobertCalder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 May 11 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi I know this is an old post from you but I am looking for similar information and was wondering if you had any useful responses. I'm a descendant of Robert Calder and Helen Davidson through their son Robert and his wife Martha Hood who emigrated to Australia.
I live in Broome, Western Australia but I am going to be in Scotland in July 2011 and was hoping to visit the area they came from. I can't find any information of where Whiterig is though. Can you help with anymore info?
Regards

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 11 23:21 BST (UK) »
I have sent a PM about this message and scanned a few pages of family history given to me by my mother in law ( a very much alive 90 year old) !!!

If any other CALDER relative would like the data they could contact me by a PM

I have pages of material and am in the process of typing hand written data and trying to make a family chart (rather a fascinating project )
Happy to help any other family historian with this information
Christine
Turramurra NSW

Offline Jazzabell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi. I know this is an old post but anyway I'm descended from Adam Calder & Ann Irvine, then thro' his daughter Margaret bn Dunbar 1797. She  married Thomas Laybourn in 1822. Eventually to New Zealand. Hes the one I'm stuck on!!
Cheers
Jazzabell

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 September 11 02:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for Calder link
I will send you a PM as there is research with a family member in Victoria Australia

Christine
Turramurra

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 September 11 12:32 BST (UK) »
Seeking any descendants from the families of
Adam CALDER b. 1763 d.1847 m?IRVINE in Ayton Berwickshire,Scotland.
Robert CALDER b.1790  d.1848 m Helen DAVIDSON in Ayton.
Robert CALDER b.1826  d.1887 m Martha HOOD (b.at Dunse Scotland)

Robert and Martha arr Port Philip Victoria,Australia c1851
Places in Victoria were Ararat,Polkemmet,Horsham

Turramurra

Hello! I don't know if you've ever been to Duns (as it's now spelt), but there's a HOOD headstone in the churchyard which is very informative about that family, who farmed at Grueldykes.
It mentions Martha BERTRAM, relict of William HOOD - that's the parents of Martha HOOD who married Robert CALDER. Martha BERTRAM died at Polkemmet, Victoria, so she must have gone out to Australia to be with her family.

Martha BERTRAM was a daughter of John BERTRAM and Margaret DUNSMORE of Cranshaws, and had a sister called Isabella BERTRAM who married Dr. Joseph STEPHENSON of Duns. I'm descended from a cousin of Joseph's.

Harry

Offline lemairal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 April 12 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

I am not a descendant of Robert Calder, but I have an interesting connection to this family.

My ancestor was Capt. Picken who was the ships captain on the ship which Robert Calder and his family immigrated on. The remained friends for the rest of their lives, and Samuel Picken's eldest daughter, Elizabeth McKinlay Picken, became a governess to the Calder children at Polkemmet.
I have photos of Robert Calder if you are interested, and I would be very interested if you have any photos of the Calder family (Robert, Martha, or their children).  I have many unnamed photos in my album and I know that there will be more photos of the Calder family.

Regards,

Anita.