Author Topic: Amy STEVENSON immigration & death lookup, Ontario  (Read 5965 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Amy STEVENSON immigration & death lookup, Ontario
« on: Monday 17 August 09 04:03 BST (UK) »
I realise that few records exist for the time I'm looking for but I thought I'd have a go with a request on here. One of my relatives called Amy (sometimes Emma) married in England in 1846 to Leonard Stevenson, a widower with large family. They had a son Robert in Branston, Leicestershire, England in 1847. Then in the 1851 census of Canada, the whole family is living in Ontario. In 1861, they are living in Enniskillen, Ontario. However, in 1867, Leonard married a third time to Margaret Jessop in Enniskillen, indicating that Amy had died between 1861 and 1867 probably in Enniskillen. So I am looking for:
- immigration to Canada between 1847 and 1851
- Amy Stevenson's death between 1861 and 1867 in Enniskillen, Ontario

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Amy STEVENSON immigration & death lookup, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 09 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexander:

Perhaps you are aware, but Amy is buried in Oil Springs Cemetery in Enniskillen:
http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/search.php
(Search for Stevenson, Enniskillen Township)

I will have a look around to see about finding the date of death.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 09 12:43 BST (UK) »
This still doesn't answer your questions, and perhaps you know this as well, but someone on RootsWeb has Leonard Stevenson/Margaret Jessup in their tree:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi
Search for Stevenson, Leonard, born 1813
They did not list Leonard's first wives.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 09 12:59 BST (UK) »
You could try the following site, to see if someone might be able to check the cemetery for a headstone for Amy.
http://www.raogk.org/
It is a free service, but they may charge for gas or other expenses.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 August 09 13:09 BST (UK) »
If Robert is still alive in 1901, it should state his year of immigration.
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi FreckNeale,

I checked Ancestry.ca and only found the husband's death registration (#008043). It shows: Leonard Stevenson; died Apr 24, 1884 at 72 years; farmer; born Branston, Leicestershire, England; wife M. Stevenson. The informant is from Oil Springs, which is in Lambton Co as well. Perhaps they moved? I didn't see anything for Amy, but there are several Stevensons listed in Lambton Co - there are several from the surrounding counties as well. If you don't have it, I can send you Leonard's death reg image if you like?

There is a Stevenson fellow living in Middlesex, the next county east from Lambton, that goes into the rootchat chatroom quite often. He has helped me get info for some of my ancestors in his and Lambton counties for me. You might be able to contact him via PM. Who knows, he might even be related :-)

Hope this helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lisa for all those resources! I didn't know where Amy was buried and now that I know she was buried at Oil Springs Cemetery I might be able to find her date of death. I did a bit of searching online about the cemetery and from what I can tell the cemetery only opened in 1865. Is that correct? If so, that would imply that Amy's date of death could be narrowed down to 1865-67.

JDC - I did recently find Leonard's death which confirmed he was the right one from England based on his birthplace. It's a real shame they didn't start the death registrations until 1869 - if only they had started 4 years earlier!

Thank you both for your help!

Alexander

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Records were recorded before 1867 in Ontario, I just can't recall the website where you can find them. I will do my best to loacate it and let you know what is when I find it.

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

This may be the link here: http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/

The Family History Library people may be able to help you. Here is there mailing address, nott sure if they have email addy.

Sarnia Ontario
1400 Murphy Rd
Sarnia, Lambton, Ontario, Canada
Phone: 519-542-2544
Hours: T-Th 9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm, 7pm-9:30pm

I am told there is a place in Corunna that is good for family tracing as well. You can ask the FHL people abt it.

Cheers again,

JDC
Closed: Weekends on State Holidays
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England