Author Topic: Henry Anthony Birrell  (Read 10088 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Henry Anthony Birrell
« on: Tuesday 18 August 09 21:58 BST (UK) »
Seeking details on Henry Anthony Birrell. 

This is the only HA Birrell found on freeBMD
Births Sep 1887   
BIRRELL  Henry Anthony    Cardiff  11a 278

The only info I have is that he attended Repton School in Derbyshire in 1904 and was there the following two years.  Not much to go on but I hope sufficient to locate him on the 1901 census.  Enlisted Monmouthshire Regiment, raised to rank of 2nd Lt, killed 8 May 1915

Thanks in advance
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Anthony Birrell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 01:22 BST (UK) »
In 1901 he was a pupil at Stancliff Hall Preparatory School in Darley Derbyshire - aged 13 b Cardiff
RG13 Piece 3266 Folio 25 Page 7
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 01:26 BST (UK) »
1891 for Chepstow

John Birrell 57  malster b Scotland
Jane   56  b Aberavon
William  22 married b Chepstow
Mary Jane 21 single ditto
Thomas  14  ditto
Henry Anthony 3  g/son b Cardiff
Sarah Harris 25  servant
Ada Wakely 19  servant
RG12 Piece 4336 Folio 4 Page 2
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 08:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Carole, youv'e come up with more than I expected and it is much appreciated.  Best Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole
I was wondering if you have the address where John Birrell was residing at in 1891.  Seeing his occupation of maltster, I was thinking could he be running a pub?

Regards
Roy

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 20:06 BST (UK) »
Looks like Silure Villa.  Next address is Larkfield Lodge and previous looks like Hardrick Hill

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 20:12 BST (UK) »
Goodness gracious me, that was quick, this service is better than first class postage.  Thanks Carole, Roy

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 August 09 13:28 BST (UK) »
Times May 28th 1923
Wills & Bequests – A War Memorial Near Ypres
Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Anthony Birrell-Anthony, V.D., J.P., of Glenthorne, Thame, Oxon., solicitor, lately commanding the 1st Battalion, Monmouthshire Regiment, who saw service in France and Belgium during the war, and who died on December 30, aged 62, left estate of the gross value of £72,715 with net personalty £22,309. The testator left:
Land at St. Jean, near Ypres, and a sum not exceeding £1,000, on trust, for a memorial to his only son , Henry Birrell-Anthony, and other officers and men of the 1st Monmouthshire Regiment who gave their lives for their country.

Times May 9th 1927
In Memoriam – On Active Service
Birrell Anthony – In honoured memory of 2nd Lieut. Henry Anthony Birrell Anthony, 1st Mons. Regt., who fell at Ypres, May 8, 1915, only child of the late Lieut.- Colonel Henry Anthony Birrell Anthony, 1/2nd Mons. Regt. J.P, V.D.
[Same notice placed every year until 1953]

2nd Lt H A Birrell-Anthony
1 Bn. Monmouthshire Regt.
Killed in action 8 May 1915. No known grave.
Remembered on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Part Xlll(Index No MR 29)
Memorial: Oblong stone with CWGC pattern stone wall, 1km NW of Wieltje. Car access.
Maps: 51/2/28/1-2
Guardian: CWGC
Henry Anthony Birrell-Anthony, of Thame in Oxfordshire, was one of 13 officers and 382 other ranks who became casualties on that disastrous day for 1st Monmouths in the Second Battle of Ypres, 8 May 1915.
The British withdrawal in early May to shorten the line left 84th Brigade on the forward slopes of the Frezenberg Ridge under concentrated enemy fire with little artillery in support. Into the line on the night of 7th May, the 1st Monmouths found themselves exposed in battered and waterlogged trenches with little time to do anything about it before the German assault the next morning. The attack was fought off gallantly all along the line until 83rd Brigade on the right was forced to retire, increasing the pressure on the others. A desperate fight ensued with very heavy casualties. The Monmouths, with no right flank were soon partly surrounded. Called upon to surrender Captain Edwards cried "Surrender be Damned" and many years later this was to became the title of Les Hughes and John Dixon's Great War history of the battalion (Cwm Press 1995).
Colonel Robinson was killed trying to set up a defensive flank but the Monmouths fought on valiantly until late afternoon when eventually, they were forced back into their support trenches. Thus ended their part in the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge. The next day only three officers and 126 other ranks were fit for duty.
After the Battle most of the casualties were listed as missing and many were never found. Among them was 2nd Lt Birrell-Anthony, who in the fullness of time was remembered on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.
Mary Annette Birrell-Anthony of Glenthorae, Thame, Oxon, who died on 17 April 1918 is believed to have been his mother but meanwhile his father, Lt Col Henry Birrell-Anthony (senior), was in command of 2/1 Monmouths, the reserve battalion providing replacements in the field. It seems that he later visited the battlefield, bought the piece of land where his son was believed to have fallen and intended to erect a memorial to him made of Monmouth stone.
For some reason Col. Birrell-Anthony changed his mind and decided to include all the officers and men of the 1 Bn. Monmouths who had died that day in his inscription. The memorial, which was adopted by the Regiment and is maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, consists of a rectangular block of stone set in a small garden surrounded by a stone wall. The inscription is a little difficult to decipher on the local stone insisted upon by the authorities, but reads:
'IN MEMORY OF LIEUT. H A BIRRELL-ANTHONY AND THE OFFICERS OF THE 1st BATTALION THE MONMOUTHSHIRE REGIMENT WHO FELL AT THIS SPOT IN THE SECOND BATTLE OF YPRES ON THE 8th MAY 1915 AND THE NCOs AND RIFLEMEN WHO FELL AT THE SAME TIME.

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 August 09 15:11 BST (UK) »
A few more notes that may help understanding the family background.

Western Mail 30th November 1883
Law Examination – Amongst the successful candidates at the last final law examinations are the names of …… Mr Henry Anthony Birrell, nephew of Mr Henry Anthony, brewer.

Henry Anthony & Co., were brewers at Castle Brewery

Henry Anthony died on 5th May 1889. He left in his will a) Great House Farm and in the parishes of Undy and Llanvihangel and all his other real estate in those parishes to his nephew Henry Anthony Birrell b) Henriew Farm in Llanbaddoc to his nephew John Sinclair Birrell c) Castle Brewery and all houses and attached property to be sold and a charge of £3,000 to his mother to be paid off. d) All residue in trust for his three sisters Miss Catherine Anthony, Mrs Margaret Davies and Mrs Jane Birrell equally.

In 1895 the Castle Brewery and sixteen licensed houses were sold by Henry Anthony & Co to W Hancock & Co for £32,000

It looks like solicitor Henry Anthony Birrell (and his family)  adopted the name Henry Anthony Birrell-Anthony.