Author Topic: BROGAN family from Co.CLARE to Australia  (Read 41698 times)

Offline Michael.Finlay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BROGAN family from Co.CLARE to Australia
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 01 November 20 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks VERY much for all of this help, you've filled in a lot of missing pieces!

Would you be able to help me confirm whether Michael Brogan is my great, great, great, great grandfather?

There were two Brogan families living in Cappybane Mountain Farm ( as it was known, in the 1820's ).

I have ruled out the other family:

James
Ellen
& 6 children

As this family doesn't have a Stephen in it, who is my great, great, great grandfather

The 2nd Brogan family living on Cappybane Mountain Farm, as I mentioned before, are:

Stephen
Michael
James
Michael ( jnr )
( & another Michael )

My reasoning for being related to this family are:

There are no other Brogan families listed as living on Cappybane Mountain Farm in the 1820's / 1830's.

( Apart from one or two random people also named Brogan but whose names don't match what I'm looking for.)

I've kind of reached a dead end now, where do I go from here?

The Irish government census website for 1820 / 1830 / 1840 / doesn't list any information at all in regards to Brogans.

Can you help me figure out what to do next ?

I would love to confirm whether this 2nd Brogan family are my ancestors, and if they are, where is the wife gone?
Why isn't she listed? If she's dead, I can find no record for her even then.

Offline Michael.Finlay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 01 November 20 12:32 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to add...

Stephen Brogan - who was he married to?
He's my great, great, great grandfather.

Michael Brogan ( Stephen's potential father ), who was he married to?
( My possible great, great, great, great grandfather. )

Michael Brogan's father Michael Brogan ( my possible great, great, great, great, great grandfather ) - who was he married to?

So basically all the wives are missing!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 02 November 20 03:00 GMT (UK) »
I have seen many people talking about being related to Brogans of Cappaghbaun / Cappybane Mountain Farm, in Clare.

My ( confirmed ) Brogan relatives were living in Cappaghbaun / Cappybane Mountain Farm from the 1830's - 1880's.

* Michael Brogan   1834
Ellen Brogan           1840
&
Their children
------------------------
Bernard Brogan   1885
Ellen Brogan         1877
Stephen Brogan   1874
Margaret Brogan  1879
James Brogan.     1882
Michael Brogan Jnr. ( dob unknown )

* Michael Brogan senior's father was also called Michael Brogan, and he also lived on the farm.

There are Brogan's living on Cappaghbaun / Cappybane Farm in the 1820's:

Stephen Brogan
James Brogan
Michael Brogan Jnr.
Could the above Brogan's be my ancestors??

( I'm already aware that in this Brogan family, James was found guilty of murder and sent to Australia. Bit I don't know the full details )

I would be very grateful if someone could help me confirm whether the Brogan's from the 1820's on Cappybane / Cappaghbaun are also my anceestors.

Regards,

Michael

Hi there,

Re your comment - I'm already aware that in this Brogan family, James was found guilty of murder and sent to Australia. Bit I don't know the full details  -   

I am not a descendant, but I am in Australia. Welcome to RChat, it's a great place for help with family history.   Some of the following info I had posted back at reply #28.  ;D (in 2016)  :) :D :)

There’s more than one chap by that name who was transported to ‘Australia’.   Here’s two who were sentenced to life and transported to the Colonies on the continent of Australia.

:)  :) This chap was transported to the colony of Western Australia, but I have not noticed his native place mentioned on the indexes I have searched :

So this James BROGAN  was sentenced to Life at a trial on 4 March 1852, Worcestershire Assizes    He was transported per the Ramillies, arriving 7 August 1854, to the colony Western Australia.

https://convictrecords.com.au/convicts/brogan/james/7710  and

Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 93, Class and Piece Number HO11/18, Page Number 87 (45)  - see the following thread for info about the digitisation project at the National Library of Australia re AJCP… https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=829521.0

Also see http://www.sro.wa.gov.au/archive-collection/collection/convict-records  and
https://fremantleprison.com.au/history-heritage/history/convict-database/   (gives info re his Ticket of Leave (1857) and his conditional pardon (1862) and ‘to Callao, 25 Jan 1869)

:)  :) Then there’s this chap

So this James BROGAN was a Farm Servant, from County Clare, born 1797, arrived per Marquis of Huntley to the colony of New South Wales. 30 January 1828 His Conditional Pardon was issued 1843.  He had been tried at Galway, 4 April 1827 on Fire Arms and Burglary charges and received a Life Sentence.  He was a married man, Roman Catholic, 5 Children.  Assigned to George Windham, Hunters River NSW.   https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convicts-index

He was then assigned to William Carter at Piecefield, Hunter River as a shepherd as per November 1828 census.  His wife and children came to New South Wales circa 1834. 

He was possibly the chap who died Spring Valley, 7 Feb 1871.   Probate Notice is 27 July 1875.  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/223686374 NSW Govt Gaz 27 July 1875.
 Here is the NSW State Archives for the Probate Packet info
NRS-13660-2-[17/1781]-Series 2_1683 | James Brogan Date of death 7 February 1871, Granted on 11 August 1875
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/probate-packets-wills-guide 

NSW BDM online index has that James BROGAN’s death registration, registered Goulburn district, parents given names as Bryan and Penelope.  Ref 3558/1871.
The Goulburn Herald of 11 Feb 1871 has: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/101092581
Died, at Spring Valley, on the 7th instant, Mr James Brogan, aged 81 years, leaving a widow and very large circle of relatives and friends to lament his loss.   
https://billiongraves.com/grave/James-Brogan/26803899

Would either of those two chaps be the chap you asked about?

There are Brogan's living on Cappaghbaun / Cappybane Farm in the 1820's:

Stephen Brogan
James Brogan
Michael Brogan Jnr.
Could the above Brogan's be my ancestors??

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 02 November 20 03:54 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to include a possible third James BROGAN, transported under a sentence of a civil court:

25 Feb 1836, per the Roslyn Castle, into Sydney, the following Steerage passengers, wife and family of a James BROGAN.  Under the heading on the image of the passenger lists “Names of Convicts Wives” and “Names of Children” “Ages of Children” and “County from whence convicts were transported":

Ellenor/Ellena BROGAN, wife of James Brogan (images shows he was transported from Cavan in 1829) and her children :
Margaret BROGAN aged 15
Judith BROGAN aged 13
Mary BROGAN aged 10
James BROGAN aged 8

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Michael.Finlay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 02 November 20 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this extensive research, I really appreciate it.

However, I'm almost positive that I'm not related to any James Brogans who were sent / emigrated to Australia.

I think I'm related to the (1820-1850) Brogans who stayed on 'Cappybane' Mountain Farm, in Scariff, Clare.

This family :

Father: Michael Brogan
Children:
Stephen Brogan
Michael Brogan jnr
James ( either a son or Michael snr brother)
The above are the 1820's / 1830's Brogans.

The following are the 1830's / 1840's Brogans, who I assumed still lived on Cappybane / Cappaghabaun Mountain Farm.

Father: Stephen Brogan
(son of Michael )

Children:
Patrick
Stephen
Margaret
Michael
John
Bridget

Offline Michael.Finlay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 02 November 20 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Here are the (mostly 1850's-1880's) Brogans of Cappabane / Cappybane / Cappaghabaun who I'm also related to:

Michael Brogan ( born 1834 )
( as mentioned in the previous family )

Married:
Ellen Brogan Doyle ( born 1840 )
aka Ellen Doyle Brogan
aka Ellen Doyle
aka Ellen Brogan

Children:
Mary (1858) died as a child
Michael (1860)
John (1862) died as a child
Mary (1863)
John (1865)
Martin (1867)
Patrick (1869)
Peter (1871)
Bridget (1873)
Stephen (1874)
Ellen (1877)
Margaret (1880)
James (1882)
Bernard (1885)

Offline Joy Conroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 20:41 GMT (UK) »
I am a desc of James Brogan and Elleinor O'Brien.  James & Ellen lived on five acres of rented land in Cappabane and was transported to NSW for the attempted murder of Philip Reade of Mount Shannon in 1824.  James' trial No. 688 was held on the 4 April 1827,  has held in Galway where he was sentenced to death for break, enter and discharging a firearm in County Galway although he lived in County Clare adjacent. His sentence was commuted to transport for life to New South Wales occupation given as Farm Servant.

James' was born abt 1791 and his parents were Bryan Brogan and Penelope O'Brien. Possible  siblings were John b abt 1793, Michael b abt 1798.

His wife Elleinor and children joined him in 1838. His eldest sons Thomas and Peter followed on a later ship.

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Dear Fellow BROGAN descendants

Way back in 2016 I was in contact with Joy Conroy

Our BROGAN families were related by the transportation to NSW by the Brogan convicts.
I am related from Margaret Aloysius Brogan (my great grandmother who married Henry Gerald BIDDLE in Sydney NSW 1904.)
Margaret was the daughter of PETER BROGAN 1823-1886 and Margaret Elizabeth CLUNE 1833-1911.

Peter and Margaret BROGAN died at Spring Valley (south of Goulburn NSW)
There are some rather distressing facts about this family with police records and gaol sentences.

My Great Grandmother, Margaret Brogan was murdered in Surrey Hill in 1912, leaving my grandfather, a  boy of 11, an orphan...Henry Gerald Biddle died 1911.

However my grandfather, John Henry BIDDLE was beautifully cared for by a colleague of his late father
and given a happy childhood in The Oaks near Camden NSW.

If anyone would like to have more history about the BROGAN family I am happy to share it
Turramurra
(Christine )

HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline Joy Conroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine
I am still around but slowed down a bit on my research on the Brogans. I still have the same email address if you need to make contact again.
Joy Conroy :)