Author Topic: SCOTT's of Hawick  (Read 24469 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTT's of Hawick
« Reply #45 on: Monday 17 February 20 22:23 GMT (UK) »
 ;D  But was he baptised with it as a middle name?   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTTs of Hawick
« Reply #46 on: Monday 17 February 20 22:29 GMT (UK) »
;D  But was he baptised with it as a middle name?   
That is quite difficult to answer, because it wasn't unusual for the church records to list only the first given name, even though the child was given a middle name from the outset.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTT's of Hawick
« Reply #47 on: Monday 17 February 20 22:38 GMT (UK) »
And, there is NO extant record of the passengers on board the Moffatt arriving 19 Dec 1839 to South Australia.   There are various lists found online for that voyage, and one has the SCOTT family including Henry as Henry Braefoot SCOTT ... but these are actually 'constructed' lists and default to submissions from various family history buffs...  :)  :D  I notice that his siblings on that voyage do not have middle names  ???

https://bound-for-south-australia.collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/1839Moffatt.htm  - passengers on the Moffatt arriving South Australia 1839 ... SCOTT family included.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.