Author Topic: SCOTT's of Hawick  (Read 24291 times)

Offline Lockzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SCOTT's of Hawick
« on: Thursday 20 August 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Fellow Researchers  :)

I have started researching the SCOTT family originally from Yarrow but now around the Hobkirk, Hawick and Yetholm areas

My SCOTT'S are:
Robert SCOTT - 21 November 1815.
Walter SCOTT - 14 February 1818
George SCOTT - 17 August 1820 died 16 April 1857 in Hawick flesher. (My direct line)
Agnes SCOTT - 11 September 1823
Isabella SCOTT - 26 November 1826
There were possibly 2 other sons called John and James
The aboves  parents were Robert SCOTT  1786 - 1863 and Agnes MITCHELL c1782 - 1857.

Robert SCOTT - 1786 - 1863 parents were John SCOTT and Mary GRIEVE 

I am stuck with John SCOTT and Mary GRIEVE, they married in Hawick on 13 January 1781. Robert SCOTT b. 1786 is the only child I am aware of, thats all I know about them! I would love to know some more about them like did they have other children, when did they die etc

Has anyone else been tracing their SCOTT family and come across this family please?

Would love to hear from you

Many thanks
Amanda

Researching
Fife - Glass
Rox - Glass, Scott, Mitchell, Fiddes, Grieve, Telfer,  Johnston, Laidlaw

Offline mgscott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTT's of Hawick
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 March 10 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lockzie.  I thought I'd let you know that I'm also looking for Scotts in Rox and Selkirk.  What I find interesting is my Scotts have all the same forenames as yours.  Coincidence?  My earliest is the marriage record of William Scott stating he was from Yarrow.  In 1826 he was 26 and married Mary Scott (20) of Ashkirk.  Mary was the daughter of John Scott (born about 1765) and Helen or Nellie Scott (born about 1770).   

I have some informaiton on John and Helen's children: George (b:1792), John (b:1797), Margaret (b:1800), Mary (b:1806) and William (b:1810).

I also have information on  William and Mary's 6 children, William, John, Robert, George, Alexander and Walter (born from 1826 to 1846) mostly in Ashkirk.

Do any of these names and dates show up in your research?
Scott-Traquair, Catslacknowe, Ashkirk, Sco
Stutt-Co Fermanagh and Tyrone, Ulster, NI
Newton-North Plantagenet(CAN), Ireland
Grieve-Roberton, Lilliesleaf Sco
Hodgins-Cloughjordan, Co Tipperary, Ire
Elliot-Canonbie, Bogra, Holmhead, Annan, Sco and Egremont Engl
Little-Canonbie Sco,  Kingsbridgeford, Thirlwall, Wallasey Eng
McAlister-Louth Co., Queen's Co. Ire
Smith-Whitehaven Eng

Offline mackelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 10 01:01 BST (UK) »
Re: Agnes SCOTT - 11 September 1823

I'm not actively doing research however I do have an Agnes Scott who may be yours. Mine d. 23 Feb 1878 - m. 23 Jul 1834 to Thomas Whiting he d. 5 Apr 1910. Their daughter Margaret b.18 Mar 1837 relates to my family.  Hope this helps Amanda.

Offline nickj0331

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 December 13 03:48 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather was a Matthew Little Robson Scott of Hawick. He emigrated to Wyoming and shows up on a voting register in 1911. He was married to Anne Adam and was one of four brothers I think. His father was a Robert Scott who had a sheep farm in Hawick. I'm looking for connections as well in order to connect to family.

Offline Ned

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 December 13 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I also have many Grieve's and some Scotts of Hawick, you may fine this site useful
www.genealogy.jejik.co.uk/Grieve/appendixd.html
Ned

Offline hannahlee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 December 13 18:36 GMT (UK) »
hi i don't know if this helps but i have two scots in my line they are

More
Robert Scott 1789 - 1872 Born: Roberton, Roxburgh, Scotland Died: Wilton, Roxburgh, Scotland
Robert's Family Parents
    John Scott 1760 -
    Helen Elsington
Siblings sadly i don't have any  :'( still a work in progress

Spouse  Helen Oliver 1798 - 1855
Children with Helen Oliver:
    Helen Scot 1821 - which again is the only child  :'( haven't got any further

helen scot married John Mason 1804 -
there children
    Josephine Masone 1841 -
    Margaret Mason 1844 -
    Susan Mason 1846 -
    Helen Mason 1849 -
    John Mason 1852 -
    Robert Mason 1854 -
    Elizabeth Mason 1855 -
    Jane S Mason 1859 -
    Wilhelmina T Mason 1862 -

More
Josephine Masone1841 -
Born: Colinton, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
she married
Spouse James Moodie 1839 - 1861 again this is my line

Children with James Moodie:
    Robert Moodie 1865 - 1932
    William Moodie 1869 -
    Margaret Moodie 1871 -
    Josephine Moodie 1873 -
    James Moodie 1875 -
    Isabella Moodie 1877 -
    Susan Moodie 1880 -
hope this helps you??
SCOBEL,SCOBELL,SCOBALL MILLER,AUSTIN, WARD,

JARVIS, HEADIN, WILSON, COCKBURN, THURLEY

MOODIE, MOODY, WARDLAW, DRYELLY, WILSON, BROUN, DRYELIE, HUNTER, DONALD, CORKRAN, STEPHENSON, WILKLE, WALKER, MASON,  MARTIN, SCOT

LUSTY, PIKE, PAYNE, THORNTON, KILBOURN, TOWN, BROWNHEAD, FULLER, INCH, DALBY, KENNARD, KITCHENER, RAE, LAWS, PENNY, WADDELL, SIMPSON, PERCRIAUX, ARMITAGE, BRICKLAND

BENNETT, MASON, ROBERTS, STEPHSON, MITCHELL,OWEN, HARROP, NORTON, HODGSON, HARRINGTON, ALLEN, FAIRBURN,HIRST, ROMA

Offline Stirling 76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 December 13 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have information of a Richard Turnbull Scott, born Hawick 1915?

Offline scotty-dog

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Concerning Richard Turnbull Scott born Hawick 1915.

This person was my late Father. He died in 1974. He had married Christina Grace Strachan in 1951 and had four sons, i.e. Richard, Christopher John, Francis William and Michael Strachan.
Dad had been a Captain in the Royal Engineers in Crete (Army No, 151774) and had been captured and sent to Oflag v11-B (POW No. 3338). A story persists that they were so hungry that they ate one of the guard dogs.
After war he became a very senior Civil Engineer in Nigeria (Chief Civil Engineer Northern Nigeria) subsequently being awarded O.B.E. and F.I.C.E. before his return to England in 1966. We subsequently lived in Newcastle upon Tyne until his death in 1974. Our mother died in 2005 aged 86.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 December 15 19:18 GMT (UK) »
I can claim some distant Scott relatives in Hawick. Probably no relation to other Scotts mentioned above.

My 3 x great-grandmother Martha Welsh had an illegitimate daughter called Jane Smeaton. In 1866 Jane had an illegitimate son called John. Initially he was John Smeaton, but in 1897 he married Annie Smith and on his marriage-certificate he is "John Smeaton or Scott". He gives his reputed father as John Scott, farm servant.

John Smeaton/Scott and Annie Smith had a son called James Dryden Scott in 1902 and in 1935 he married Frances Anderson.

I thought it might be fun to try and find out who John Scott, farm servant, was, with the help of Scotlandspeople. It might seem like a needle and haystack job to look for a John Scott in Hawick, but the fact that he was a farm servant in an industrial town of millworkers should make it easier to find the right John Scott.

As his illegitimate son was born in 1866 I looked for this John Scott in the 1871 census. There were 7 men of the name in Hawick parish and 5 in Wilton. But only one was a farm servant. I found him living in Pathhead, Wilton, just before Langlands Road. He was 48 and unmarried, and living with his widowed mother Agnes Scott and brother Adam Scott, 29. Luckily, although John and Adam were both born before 1855, their parents had taken the trouble to register their births. John was born in 1823 and Adam in 1841 to Robert Scott, stockingmaker, and Agnes Turnbull.

John Scott died in 1927, still unmarried, but through his son John Smeaton or Scott he probably has descendants at the present day.

Harry