Author Topic: HELP!!! How to get my emails onto new computer.COMPLETED  (Read 14385 times)

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!! How to get your email info onto new computer.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 August 09 12:12 BST (UK) »
No worries KHP ;D

Hope I can do it as easy as you have KHP.
Yes jc26red it will be scary but I will have a go at it. I think I already set up the account on my new computer ???
I just couldn`t work out the POP3 etc and had them ar*e about. ::)Well I think I did. ;D
Will come back and let you know if I have got it sorted.
If I don`t get it sorted I will probably need a step by step account of how to do it :-[ ;D

Johngirl

if you are still having difficulties you might be better off calling your  internet service provider (ISP) to talk you through setting up an email account. Who is your ISP ?
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 August 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi earley-bird,

My service provider is Bigpond. I already contacted them but couldn`t get any sense out of the person I spoke to. >:(
I will contact them again tomorrow as see if I can speak to someone that knows what they are talking about.
I did try to export my old email onto a USB but it didn`t work. ??? I will also try this again tomorrow.
Thankyou everyone for your help.

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Online jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 August 09 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Johngirl

one step at a time

copying your old email messages and folders
On the old pc, you need to find where the email store folder is
and the easiest way is to open Outlook express on your old pc
go to Tools > Options and select the Maintenance tab,
look for the button labelled Store Folder. Click that and it
will tell you the folder containing your email folder. Click on the store location and press control+C
come out of outlook and press the start button down in the botton left hand corner of the screen and select RUN
now select paste into the run field and that will paste the store folder address into the run field.
click ok
A window will open and show you the folders of your outlook express, normally these are hidden from you. they will be .dbx files. You will recognise all your folders!
Now copy these folders over onto the usb stick. It might be helpful to create a folder on the usb stick first to put them in to keep it tidy

To copy the Address book
the address book file is a .wab file
On your old pc, open outlook express
open the address book, at the top of the address book window, select file export then click on Address book (wab)
then save in.. your usb stick ready to move over to your new pc

Now go over to your new pc, plug in your usb stick
Open Outlook
Select File > Import > Messages.... Choose Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and press Next.
Select Import mail from an OE6 store directory and press Next.
Now on the next screen, browse to the location that you've placed the message, this will be your usb stick, which will show up as another disk location
find the folder on your usb stick you saved the .dbx files in
and click import.
and that it for the messages

to import the address book go to file > import address book and follow the screen instructions
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 10:49 BST (UK) »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Yes its me back again.
Sorry jc26red. I must firstly say thankyou for giving me the information regarding how to sort out my email problem.
It was worded so well and I could understand it very well [Thankyou.]. I also should have said my old email was Microsoft Outlook 2003 [yes I know very ancient  ;D  ] and now of course that this is a newer computer it has Microsoft Outlook Express. How do I sort this. ??? ??? I could not find the maintenance tab you were talking about. It may not have this in Microsoft Outlook 2003.
I did find my email folder [inbox] and did try to save to my USB thingy and thought I had :-[ but when I went to transfer this to my new Outlook Express account there was nothing in the folder I saved it in. ;D
I have gone into the Bigpond website and can veiw my emails this way but can`t send any emails this way.
Yes I`m hopeless.
Feel free to just ignore me and get on with your own research and life if you feel I`m a hopeless case ;D

Johngirl
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Online jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 11:43 BST (UK) »
um... if you can view your emails on bigpond, which is the webserver, then the emails aren't actually saved on your pc but on the webserver.

I haven't used the old outlook for years, and don't normally install it with MS Office software, I can't remember where off-hand where the maintenance folder.

I shall have a think, I'm a bit busy today doing house maintenance stuff, if anyone else knows then they can jump in  :D

I'll be back later this evening English time

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
I'm using Outlook Express 6
I didn't know about this folder so thought I would have a look.

It's as jc said, click on Tools then Options.
The Maintenance tab is on the top row. Then click Store Folder. Then follow the rest of jc's instructions.
Which is what I'm going to do now to copy these folders.

You learn something new everyday on RootsChat ;D
Thank you jc.

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 12:16 BST (UK) »
I'm confused as to whether you are talking about MS Outlook which is part of Microsoft office or Outlook Express.  They are two very different programs.

MS Outlook stores everyting (email address + emails) in one container file called outlook.pst.  However if you archive files from time to time then there is also another file called archive.pst.  These .pst files are located in a slightly different location to the Outlook Express folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

The difference between webmail (Bigpond) and Outlook or Outlook Express(client side) is that when you open Outlook or OE it downloads mail from your ISP' mail server to your local C drive and then the mail is removed from you ISP's mail server.  With webmail, the mail remains on your ISP's mail server until you delete it.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi downside,

Sorry to confuse you and everyone else :-[
Yes its MS Outlook I have on my old computer.My new computer has MS Outlook Express.
I now understand what you mean and yes I do Archive old emails so will have a file for them also tucked away on my old computer.
Does this mean that because they are two different programs I wont be able to use my old email [MS Outlook] and transfer the files etc to Outlook Express. If this is so will I be able to set up Outlook Express using my old email address as before. I really don`t want to change my email address if I don`t have to. I can get my contacts list from my old computer and put them in manually if need be.
Thankyou for your reply downside.
Also jc26red thankyou for all your help also.

Johngirl
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Johngirl

I might be able to help you a bit. 

When you say you can see your emails on the Bigpond website, do you mean new emails or can you also see emails that you have previously accessed on your old computer?

Leaving aside the transfer of old emails to your new computer at this stage you need to get your the email working on your new computer.

First of all you need to see what default email program your computer is trying to use.

Select Control Panel and then select Internet Options. and then select the Programs Tab along the top.

This tells you what program is used for internet services. Make sure that Email and Newsgroups both say Outlook Express, if not use the drop down menu on each line to change.  In my case Contact List says Address Book but I don't use the others.

That should mean that your computer now knows to use Outlook Express so we now need to make sure that it knows who to contact (Bigpond) and how.

Open your email account so that you have the headings across the top such as File Edit etc (don't worry about error messages) and the select Tools and then Accounts and then the Mail tab

The box may or not be empty, if its empty select ADD and select Mail,
In the next screen type in your name and select Next.
In the next screen enter your email address (eg xyz@bigpond.com)

The next screen is where you enter the information from Bigpond.

At the top there will be a little box that may say POP or POP3

The next box down relates to incoming mail and you enter what Bigpond tell you such as mail.bigpond.com

The next box down relates to outgoing mail and could be mail.bigpond.com

Its important that you confirm these entries. If you can find the equivalent of Accounts on Microsoft Outlook on your old computer they should be there.

The next screen is your Bigpond account name and password. Once you have finished you will be back at Internet Accounts, just make sure you set what you have just added as default.

Now you should be able to access your emails.

I can't help you with transferring your old emails as I'm not familiar with Microsoft Outlook

Andy