Author Topic: What happened to Ivor HOPWOOD who died in Australia  (Read 6273 times)

Offline melrylav

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Ivor HOPWOOD who died in Australia
« Reply #36 on: Friday 20 August 21 00:00 BST (UK) »
I am so grateful for your response although I had much of it before I hadn't been able to find anything about my father's will. I remember my mother receiving a letter from a solicitor asking if she had a claim to his estate. She replied that she had as he had disappeared without paying any maintenance for me and my brother. About a year later she had another letter telling her that there were prior claims meaning she had nothing. It looks like the claimant was his mother, my grandmother, Annie Malpass, who would not have anything to do with me even though I was her first grandchild.
I feel no bitterness as they were strangers in my life but I still feel I need to know as much about them as I can find.
It looks like that you have also been able to find the previous marriage of my father's second wife, Margaret Brown. If I am correct her maiden name before her first marriage is Elinor Holden. I am so grateful for that bit of information as it means I can now make a fresh appeal for information in a Preston newspaper which is where she lived. About 10 years ago I had contacted the vicar of the church she married my father to ask if he could tell me anything about her family. He was unhelpful, telling me the church had been demolished and that he had no access to records and knew nothing of the family. I had hoped he would give me some contacts.
When I received the coroner's report from Wellington I had the name of my father's previous employer who had given evidence at the inquest. I managed to find an email address for him but after contacting him I had no response. I am hoping that one day someone in New Zealand may come up with a photo of my father as I have no idea what he looked like as an adult- I have a few photos of him and his identical twin up to the age of 13/14. That will be another area for me to research.
Thanks so much for you help and speedy response

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 20 August 21 13:13 BST (UK) »
Your father died without a will  Administration was to Annie MALPASS. 

I didn’t mention Margaret BROWN. 
The three marriages detailed are for his second wife Elinor HOLDEN who had been married twice prior to her marriage to your father.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline melrylav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 20 August 21 22:22 BST (UK) »
I realised as soon as I sent that message that I had been too hasty reading your message. I knew of my father's marriage to Elinor Thursfield who was many years older than him, but I didn't know that she had previous marriages.
I made reference to his third marriage to Margaret Brown of Preston.
It is interesting that Annie Malpass was the administrator of the estate. She was estranged from my father. My father owed 16 years child maintenance payments to my mother for me and my younger brother and she had always hoped that she would get some of it if he was 'found'. A warrant was out for his arrest in GB for non payment but he 'disappeared'.
My next search is to find out if he had any other children and that is why I have left a message on Roots Chat about DNA testing. I am not sure of the way forward with this.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 20 August 21 22:51 BST (UK) »
What did his death certificate say about children? 
I realise informants may not have known, but you never know, he might have been interviewed in hospital.

An NZ death cert should have

If living issue, the number, age and sex

Side tracked to a friendís very interesting Norfolk families. MORGAN, PRATT, HORNOR, SUCKLING, GLEANE etc. And in London DOWNES, du CROZ, MORGAN (same MORGANs as the Norwich lot)

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 20 August 21 23:22 BST (UK) »
Maxidog reply number 21 was awaiting the death certificate way back in 2009.

Let's hope he or she still has contact with rootschat and might supply that information but hasn't been active since 2013

Regarss Jenn of the North

When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au