Author Topic: What happened to Ivor HOPWOOD who died in Australia  (Read 9847 times)

Offline maxidog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Ivor HOPWOOD who died in Australia
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 August 09 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the prompt reply.
Your information about my father,Ivor Hopwood is the first to find even a mention of his name. It is too much of a coincidence for this not to be his grave - yet I clearly remember my mother stating that the letter she received from a solicitor informing her of his death said he had died in Australia - and a cousin, who I have only recently been lucky to have made contact with recently for the first time says she thought it was where he died Australia. The date of his death, his age and the fact he was a telephone engineer all seem to indicate this is his grave. I t also may explain why I had hit a brick wall in my efforts to trace him in Australia.
Are you able to help me in a way forward to get more information about him so that I can be sure it was him?

Offline maxidog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 August 09 17:09 BST (UK) »
OOPS!!!! I am not sure if I pressed the wrong key and the message I typed out and hadn't quite finished may have already been sent to you.
Incase it hasn't - a BIG thank you for your message. It is the best news I have had in a long time and seems to indicate that it is my father who is buried in New Zealand- yet I can clearly remember my mother telling me that she had had a solicitor's letter informing her of his death in Australia. He had apparently died intestate and it was asking her if she had a claim on his estate. A cousin, who I have luckily recently met up with for the first time also thought it was Australia that he had died but the information matches that I have of him. I t also explains why I couldn't get anywhere with my searches in Australia. Interestingly, I notice that he died on 2nd April 1966 - my mother died the 2nd April 2004!
 Can you advise me how I can obtain a certificate of his death so that I can check for any further information about him?

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 August 09 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi maxidog,

It is lovely that Robyn and Jenn have been able to help you to find your fathers final resting place after others had failed. I really am thrilled for you. You must be so pleased to have the information after such a long hunt. I see your cousin has seen this news also and moved the request on to the NZ Board for further assistance.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,401104.0.html

I hope they are able to assist further. I note they are suggesting a printout of the death and provide information on how to do this.  ;D

Hope you don't mind - I merged your thread with Carole's when the information found was being duplicated on both threads.

I also note Carole has made a request for Ivors brother Eric it may pay you to keep track of this thread also. (No response so far)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,401096.new.html#new

All the best.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 August 09 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hello  there maxidog,
 so very glad  that  we coul find what appears to be his death and I see that  your  cousin  must  have also  looked at  this thread  by  her posting  in  the link  that Kris  has kindly given to us on  the death of Eric Hopwood.
I  like  to  think  that we often rivall  "can we help"  given  the  shows resources and money.

Hope the certificate  will prove he is the right man.

I  would also suggest  that you  post on  the New Zealand board linking this thread and hopefully  someone might be able to look for a funeral or death notice.

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 August 09 01:31 BST (UK) »
Maxidog

If you go to the NZ Historical Index

http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/home/
 and search the deaths for Ivor using tthe year of his death or his registration number1966/28787  you will get an option to order the certificate 
Order Product

Click on this (the link) and follow the instructions.

A search for Eric Hopwood also yielded an Eric Russell Hopwood died 1955 aged 48 est dob = 1907 so unlikely to be the twin but deaths rely on the knowledge of the informants and can be inaccurate.

There is also a 2002 death for Margaret Hopwood born 30/01/1926 #2002/9729 a possibilty for Ivor's wife

regards

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 August 09 01:37 BST (UK) »

He married 3 times -    finally to Margaret Brown in Preston in 1954.

In the meantime, I've just noticed on the NZ online indexes, a death for "a Margaret Ellen HOPWOOD" in 2002 - her date of birth is given as "30 January 1926" ?   Do you think this might be wife number 3 ?      [Unfortunately the index does not record place of death, but I can check this out further (need to sight microfiche record at library) ... if you think it she is a likely match.]   EDIT :  "Margaret Ellen" was found to be the wife of another HOPWOOD - refer to later posting.

Lu

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 August 09 01:49 BST (UK) »
Maxidog

If you go to the NZ Historical Index

http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/home/
 and search the deaths for Ivor using tthe year of his death or his registration number1966/28787 you will get an option to order the certificate
Order Product

Hi Robyn   :)

I'd been unaware of this thread until this morning ... but had posted yesterday to the New Zealand board "version", where I'd added a suggestion on purchase of the death record.

A "printout" of the death record (rather than the "certificate") is what is recommended for all New Zealand BDM records - this gives the maximum amount of information available  ... and is also (happily), the less expensive option.    :D

Cheers
Lu

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 August 09 01:55 BST (UK) »
Lu,

Thankyou for that. I have not researched in New Zealan myself and was unawaare of how it works there.

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 August 09 02:06 BST (UK) »

Whoops  ... sorry maxidog ... have just done a little further searching, and it now appears that the "Margaret Ellen"  who died in NZ in 2002 ... was in fact the wife of another HOPWOOD.   :(

Lu
  [ in NZ ]