Author Topic: What happened to Ivor HOPWOOD who died in Australia  (Read 9859 times)

Offline maxidog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Ivor HOPWOOD who died in Australia
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 August 09 10:05 BST (UK) »
I cannot believe the response to my initial enquiry has brought so much unexpected, but very much appreciated information. At last the ball is rolling after 5 futile years of searching-all thanks to Rootschat!!

I do not think the Margaret Hopwood you refer to is my father's 3rd wife as I have a copy of the marriage certificate which gives her age as 32 on the 5th March 1954. This would give her DoB as about 1921/22. It is possible that she is still alive so I  placed an appeal for information about her in a Preston newspaper BUT as usual I have not had a response. It could be, as suggested, that she left the UK with my father and she is still alive and about 88/89 years of age now.

I tried to find a form to request a copy of the death certificate of Ivor Hopwood but so far I haven't accessed one. I'll persevere and eventually get round how these sites work! I believe the New Zealand death certificates contain quite a lot of information - much more than the ones issued in the UK so that if it is my father who is buried in Waitakere cemetery I should be able to find out the date of when he arrived in NZ etc. and start getting a 'picture' of him - which is how my initial search started out _ I have not got a photo of my father as an adult though I have obtained a school photo of the twins but don't know which one is my father. I have had a look at Waitakere cemetery on Google street map- it is huge and looks quite bleek. We were actually a few miles from the cemetery in2001 when we visited NZ-if only I'd known then-IF!

We are visiting Australia for 6 weeks from 26th October and had planned to seek out information on my father then. We can now concentrate on having a good sight seeing holiday instead if the info. about his death in NZ is correct. My husband is suggesting that if it is my father's grave in NZ that we only spend 4 weeks in Australia and fly over to NZ for 2 weeks to look up the grave and posssibly find out where he lived over there etc.

Going back to his twin Eric - I have not had any progress in tracing information about him via the internet. It was Carole's father who told me first of all that Eric lived in Guernsey, in 1973(the year my brother, also called Ivor, was killed in a motor accident) - I believe he said that Eric and his wife had a nursing home over there, and again in 2004 when I started the search for my father. My mother died that year and the subject of my father was taboo whilst she was alive ( she suffered from chronic depression for the rest of her life and I have attributed it to the nature of her relationship to my father)- he had been abusive to her and she got her divorce from him on the grounds of 'cruelty'-as the term was in the 1940's. I traced my father's only living sibling 5 years ago but she and another cousin refused to have anything to do with me(I can only think they thought I was after money to have such a nasty response) but I did extract from her step-daughter in law that Eric had died in Guernsey and that Eileen, my father's sister had flown out there reluctantly, to arrange the funeral. It will be interesting to see what turns up about him. I do believe there is a 'criminal' record involved with him relating to his time in De Havillands Aircraft Factory and it involved spare parts supplied to Jersey Airline in the 1940's!! Though having said that about Eric someone suggested it was Ivor who had 'fiddled' the books' at De Havillands - but if it was Ivor who had committed the offence would he been allowed to emigrate to either Australia or New Zealand. There remains that search to complete. I made a visit to the National Archives in London 2 weeks ago but they couldn't help me without having the name of the actual court the offence was tried at. De Havilland's is now British Aerospace and I live 5 miles from the factory but they have  failed to find out any information about the actual offence BUT I do know that the records exist -it only needs someone willing to find them for me in the factory archives. I shall persist.

This is turning out to make good reading for a book don't you think?

Offline maxidog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 August 09 10:37 BST (UK) »
Regross

I have just re read your message and I have now successfully ordered Ivor's death certificate. I will let you know what transpires when I receive it in about 3 weeks time.

Thanks for the advice. I had in fact accessed that page beforebut I had been putting in the dates incorrectly through not having read the instructions carefully and it would not let me progress to ordering as a result. Simple really!

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 August 09 23:22 BST (UK) »
I  must say a welldone to Regross for  finding  thedeath in New Zealand.  IT does allways  pay  to  think outside the box in genealogy.

I am early awaiting to see if Lu  comes up  with  a funeral or death notice.

We will be waiting  to  hear  the outcome.  Hopefully  it is your Ivor Hopwood and at last you  will  have some sort of closure.  At least you  may know  if he had remarried again ;) and perhaps there might be children. After all he was young enough.

The New Zealand certificates are as good  as theAustralian one with plenty of information, but  remember a death certificate information relies on  the informants knowledge of the deceased. 

kind thoughts Jenn

When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 August 09 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I can't wait to see if this is the correct Ivor. I'm glad you worked the system out Maxidog and the paperwork will arrive in due time.

I thought of NZ only as you had had no success anywhere in Australia. It just seemed to be the next most likely place other than Canada especially when the family history was so grounded "Down Under"

He may well have come to Australia anad then moved on to NZ and until we find shipping records we can only theorise.

Waiting impatiently to see if IVor is your father (certainly they worked in the sane field of expertise which is a promising start.)

best wishes
Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline maxidog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 August 09 13:09 BST (UK) »
I have just received a reply to an enquiry I made to Waitakere Council regarding the Funeral Director. It has give me the name of the funeral director and a phone number to contact them. I have, however, emailed them hoping they can provide more information eg who paid for his funeral? Was it his wife no. 3 or maybe there was a 4th wife? I am also hoping they will provide me with the address at which he was registered at the time of his death.

The questions go on and on.........

I also enquired about it being  a 'soldiers burial'. My father did not do National Service in the UK. It will be interesting to find out the significance of this.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 August 09 13:28 BST (UK) »
Did he serve in WW2?

Jenn
HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka

Offline maxidog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 August 09 13:32 BST (UK) »
No. I believe he was exempted from National Service because he was a telephone engineer and the country needed such skills at that time.

Offline maxidog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 29 August 09 17:16 BST (UK) »
Whoops!!

I am probably wrong about the fact that my father Ivor Hopwood did not serve in the army. I have just received an email from the funeral directors in New Zealand who arranged his funeral. They were not able to answer all my questions but they said his last address was a 'halfway house' and that war pensions paid for his funeral. I was also given a registered number that the funeral directors think maybe his British Army number.
I  contacted the Army about 3 years ago to enquire about whether he did National Service but I had no response. Now I have a number I shall hopefully get a reply from them when I ask is it his number in the British Army.
He died in Auckland Hospital but I believe this information will be on the death certificate which is on its way to me.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 29 August 09 23:33 BST (UK) »
We will all be awaiting the death certificate  with interest.
Don't rule out  the possibilty  that  he could have also served in Korea.

Jenn
HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka