Author Topic: What happened to Ivor HOPWOOD who died in Australia  (Read 7234 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Ivor HOPWOOD who died in Australia
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 21 October 21 15:05 BST (UK) »
.... It didn't cross my mind that he left by plane as most Brits used the 10 Pom means of getting there.
   * I note that it says an 'extract' above the information about his arrival via Brunei(? ) and Singapore.

Hi maxidog

* 'extract'  - i think I use the word "excerpt" ... (passenger card info) ... but this was just to indicate that I had made a transcription of the information from the record I had found.  [Link to actual record now posted here.]

I've viewed your posts re: seeking information for Brunei. (Other Countries - Brunei,  thread)
Most of what I had been going to say (re: Brunei / travel to Australia), has probably now been covered.
I think though probably it is a stretch to assume that his air fare to Australia was paid for by the Australian Government.   ;D

That passenger card also indicates - at point No. 3 (Nationality) -  that "is information as shown on passport".

Q.    Are you able to check - if and when - a UK passport was issued for Ivor HOPWOOD ?? 

You've said previously in this search, (in this thread), that there was a warrant out in GB for the arrest of Ivor HOPWOOD in relation to non-payment of child maintenance.

I'd be curious then about how a passport might be issued to a man who was wanted by police (or  by the authorities concerned in dealing with such matters) ?

And this same man marrying again, twice (1951 and 1954), and using his legal name (maybe risking being caught for outstanding debts) ?

~  Lu

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 21 October 21 16:21 BST (UK) »

I'd be curious then about how a passport might be issued to a man who was wanted by police (or  by the authorities concerned in dealing with such matters) ?

And this same man marrying again, twice (1951 and 1954), and using his legal name (maybe risking being caught for outstanding debts) ?

I think you have to think long and hard about the era that this happened in. There was no central database for criminals, any details were posted to other local constabularies head office and there, they would decide whether they would be worth pursuing.

As for the passport office I don't know if a civil case such as non payment of maintenance would  be registered with there. Then if no former passport was issued where would you file the details for future reference.
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 22 October 21 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hello "Dyingout"

Just wish to point out that you have attributed the quote in your recent post, to the wrong person (i.e. to "maxidog" ).

I'm guessing though that the thoughts you express, are intended for "maxidog"  ??

~   Lu