Author Topic: Ivor Hopwood - death Waitakere NZ 02.04.1966  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Serenity1948

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ivor Hopwood - death Waitakere NZ 02.04.1966
« on: Saturday 22 August 09 16:16 BST (UK) »
Although it still needs TBC I have info regarding my father's brother, who it seems came to NZ (despite my belief he'd died in Australia!). The record relating is: Reg no 1966/28787 - family name: Hopwood - Given name: Ivor - age @ death 46y. The cemetary record states; Soldiers burial M Row 4, Plot 47 - telephone technician.

Census records - not kept by NZ? (I understand)

Military records - Help on how to find these would be great.

Imigration detals - as above  ::)

I'm asking a lot I realise but ANYTHING of advice would mean I can continue my hunt.

Ivor was born in Mynydd Isa, North Wales on 04.07.1919 to William Alfred Hopwood & Annie Connah. I have no idea when he left the UK but it seems he married for the 3rd time in Manchester in 1954. Whether his wife emigrated with him I don't know????

Families hey  :o

Many thanks - Carole

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ivor Hopwood - death Waitakere NZ 02.04.1966
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 August 09 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

Yes, correct,  ...  unfortunately there are NO census records available for New Zealand.

As you think that Ivor may have married (again) in England in 1954, it appears more likely then, that he has seen war service with the British Army ?  It may pay to check for a record in the UK.    (If you don't find anything, then we can provide you with the WW2 Military link for NZ).

I did check the Australian war records website, but his name doesn't appear there.

Immigration   -   Have you looked at the passenger indexes on the "findmypast" website ?    I could only see about five HOPWOOD's travelling to NZ - Ivor was not amongst them.   It is possible though that he arrived here after 1960 ... or that he made his way to NZ via another country.

If you have the name of his wife, then you can make a search of the NZ (online) Death index.

http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 August 09 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I've  just noticed that the cemetery record (Waikumete, Auckland), doesn't have the name of the funeral director.
[Quite often they do, and sometimes further information can be obtained by contacting them].

Were you planning to purchase the death record ?  [If so, then "a printout" version is recommended - this offers the maximum amount of information, and is also the less expensive option.   See the Resources section of this board (under "BDM Information") to learn what exactly is included in the record.]

I'll have a look for you (later in the week) to see if there is a funeral notice for Ivor.   EDITED to add :  This look-up offer was apparently not required ?

Lu

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 August 09 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have you contacted the cemetery re purchasers etc.
the NZSG burial locator, has burial records index only
Bye
Althea

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 August 09 00:30 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=401052.new

hello  there
thought I  would  add in  the original  thread for additional information :D

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 August 09 01:05 BST (UK) »
Re the military records
If the service was in NZ
http://www.nzdf.mil.nz/personnel-records/nzdf-archives/accessing-military-service-records.htm form part down page
Bye
Althea

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 August 09 01:07 BST (UK) »

Thanks Jenn  :)

Lu

Offline maxidog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 14:22 BST (UK) »
I have had confirmation that he did not serve in the New Zealand Army and I am now awating information about any army service in the UK. I also expect to receive a copy of his death certificate in the next couple of days so I am hoping that will tell me when he arrived in New Zealand.

I am also awaiting a reply from The National Archives on New Zealand regarding his 'estate' as he died intestate. The Public Trust Office gave me the contact email address for the NZNA.

Thanks once again to everyone who has been contributing to my search to find out a bit about the life of my father after 1954.

The search for where his twin, Eric Hopwood, died continues - it has had no replies - I always believed it was in The Channel Island of Guernsey where he was supposed to have manged/owned a nursing home. he died in the 1980's I think.

Offline maxidog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 13:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry Lucy2 to have confused you as to why I messaged you- I was confused with RootsChat setup as hadn't used it for years until a few weeks back and saw a posting by you from 2009 era so thought it was a way back into researching my family history. Your initial contact seems to have been with a cousin who I had only discovered before going back to NZ in 2009 and who asked for what information I had. She was using all the stuff I had sent her to research via the NZ forum. I apologise once more. I am a confused 80 year old.