Author Topic: Liverpool Catholic Schools 1840/1850s  (Read 7805 times)

Offline lesleystree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Liverpool Catholic Schools 1840/1850s
« on: Saturday 22 August 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
I have some catholic ancestors who lived in Naylor Street in Liverpool in the 1840s/50s.

I was wondering where their children would go to school and what sort of education (if any) they would experience?

Would there be schools especially for Catholic children? Would they have any local schools nearby that they could attend?

NB When their father died, he was buried in St Anthonys which I believe is the Scotland Road area, however I don't know much about that area or whether it is close to Naylor Street.

I think I need to find a map (actually I do have an 1851 & indeed other maps but am struggling as the writing is so small and I have no idea where I'm looking)

Many thanks

Edit: Thank you - I now know where Naylor Street is & St Anthonys :)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Catholic Schools 1840/1850s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 09 08:41 BST (UK) »
The four Roman Catholic chapels in Liverpool in the 1840s all had charity schools attached. St Anthony’s in Scotland Road was opened in 1841. Before that there were ones in Seel Street, Copperas Hill and South Chester Street (in Toxteth Park).

Mass education did not start until 1870 - http://www.know-britain.com/general/education_in_england_2.html - that’s why so many of our ancestors ‘made their mark’. A look at any BMD certificate they 'signed' will show how much education your forebears received.

Naylor Street still exists so you can find it on Google Maps. It is about half a mile south of St Anthonys.

Do you have an address in Naylor Street?

Ken

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 09 09:03 BST (UK) »
TonyS's site has a good map showing Naylor Street off Bevington Bush Road,  http://www.leverpoole.co.uk/1.001/m/liverpool-1850/20.shtm (1850-1860) and you can click the left arrow, then the arrow up to see a little further along and show St Anthony's RC Chapel off New Scotland Road.

Edited to show amended link to map. MA 21.10.09
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline lesleystree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 09 16:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone.

Will try and look on google maps.

Thank you for the other map too :) Much easier. Thank you for the directions too :)

Yes Ken, they lived at Court 3, 32 Naylor Street. I shouldn't imagine the original housing would still exist but it will be interesting to have a look on google maps.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 August 09 18:09 BST (UK) »
If you pm me an email address I will send you a copy of the OS plan of 1864 that shows No 3 Court.

Ken

Offline lesleystree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 August 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I have sent you a pm. ;D

Offline TonyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 August 09 20:39 BST (UK) »
If you pm me an email address I will send you a copy of the OS plan of 1864 that shows No 3 Court.

Ken

I suggest that you read this thread before publishing any maps belonging to Alan Godfrey.

You could have sent a PM, but no, you want the world to know that you are doing a good deed for someone.

Tony

Offline Hello There

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 August 09 21:13 BST (UK) »
Tony,

There's no need at all for the attitude, I for one, dont come here to listen to you ranting......i never, for one minute thought you would "talk" like that to a fellow poster. :o

Jacky

Offline lesleystree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 August 09 21:55 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry I have to agree with Jacky, this has really upset me after a stressful day/weekend in fact its been a stressful few months. I've come on here to take my mind away from all of this.

You also are assuming I don't have copies of these maps myself. As per my original message, you can see I am struggling finding the street on the maps that I've got.

I've got Alan Godfrey maps, John Tallis maps and even some original Liverpool maps that I inherited from my grandparents.

Ken was just helping me find the relevant area on the map and interpreting it as I am having trouble finding it myself.

I should be more familiar with the area/maps but I have this stupid habit of not looking at the maps that I've got which is really basic genealogy. My bookcase looks nice though. :)

And if the world is looking in on my thread, this family came from Ireland...does anyone know which part?