Author Topic: Liverpool Catholic Schools 1840/1850s  (Read 8302 times)

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Catholic Schools 1840/1850s
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Lesley,If your family came from Ireland. Would be better if you put it on the Ireland Board am sure someone would try to give you help.
        if the births took place from 1864 and the family were R/C and the relevant area area known,it may be best in the first instance to try for baptism parish records. Lep :)

Offline lesleystree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Lep, thanks for your help.

I already have posted on the Ireland board :) Probably one of my first posts on here a few years back. I've recently started knocking that particular brick wall down, I think I have the parents names now, just now need to resend for a marriage cert for his second marriage (which the GRO said wasn't them but I'm pretty certain it is now). Still no idea of where in Ireland though.

My ancestor was born in Ireland about 1808-11. He was in Scotland in 1841 and then in Liverpool in 1851.
Hence this Liverpool query about RC education in Liverpool :)

Offline lesleystree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:22 BST (UK) »
Actually Lep I might post on the Ireland board again, you never know, maybe some of the parishes have been transcribed and now that I have an idea on who the parents may be, someone may be able to help. Well it's worth trying even though I have no idea where in Ireland.

Many thanks :)

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
Good Irish luck to you Lesley ;)

Offline lesleystree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lep :)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 August 09 23:31 BST (UK) »
If you pm me an email address I will send you a copy of the OS plan of 1864 that shows No 3 Court.

Ken

I suggest that you read this thread before publishing any maps belonging to Alan Godfrey.

You could have sent a PM, but no, you want the world to know that you are doing a good deed for someone.

Tony

Having worked for the Ordnance Survey I am well aware of the laws of copyright as regards their maps and plans. Are you? As for throwing mud, my posts are to assist people in their research while yours appear only to be for advertising your website.

I also suggest that you learn the difference between the words send and publish. 

It is gratifying that my efforts will always have at least an audience of one, although the wording of your last paragraph suggests you are in need of a long lie down, as you are coming across as a bit of a ‘sad act’.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 August 09 12:26 BST (UK) »
my posts are to assist people in their research while yours appear only to be for advertising your website.

I take objection to that remark since it was MY post that gave the link to the map on Tony's site.  This was done as I've been well aware, for a number of years, of the useful information that is posted on www.leverpoole.co.uk and have never seen the site "advertised" as you call it.  So far as I'm aware it has only ever existed to provide researchers with a resource that has proved to be invaluable to a lot of family and local historians alike.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline TonyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 August 09 13:55 BST (UK) »
I apologise to Lesley for hijacking this thread.
I stand by my original comments, but should have started a new thread before criticising Ken.

Ken is one of a number of people who object to me posting maps and photographs on genealogy and local history websites. My website is run as a hobby and costs several hundred pounds a year in fees.

I would like to think that people appreciate the maps, but if not, let me know and I will stop posting.

Ken, I am aware of the difference between send and publish. You are not.
What was your job at the Ordnance Survey ? It certainly wasn't in the Legal Department.

You do not have the right to copy maps belonging to Alan Godfrey, and send or publish them in any form. If you feel the need to continue sending maps, I suggest that you do it privately.

Regards,

Tony

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 August 09 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley

Thanks for your email. Here is a OS plan revised to 1891. Court No3 is actually marked on this plan.

It is at 1:500 scale. The L is a gas lamp attached to the wall of the house on Naylor Street. Nearby on the same wall is a small blob showing the water tap (WT). This would have been shared by the six houses in Court 3, and maybe the two houses on Naylor Street. It also shows the 2 or 3 shared facilities at the top of the court. The houses on Naylor Street were 'cellar kitchen' houses. As well as the 2/3 steps going up to the ground floor you can clearly see at this scale the steps going down to the cellar.

Opposite Court No3 the Caledonian Spirit vaults has ceased trading.

Ken