Author Topic: unknown occupation  (Read 6107 times)

Offline juzzyje;;ybean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cheeky Chappy
    • View Profile
Re: unknown occupation
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 August 09 17:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks thats kind!
I would be afraid that I would muck something up!
 ;D
Russell:- Dover, Stirling (scotland), Kilmarnock
Sait:- Kent, Dorking, Surrey, Guildford, Godalming, Hambleton
Thomson/ Thompson:- Dundee,
Fisher:- Dundee
Whitton:- Dundee
McCall:- Kilmarnock, Stirling
Harrison:- Surrey, Dorking

Offline PastRust

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 May 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that Dolph Merchant refers to a brand name of varnish? A  varnish company out of New Jersey manufactured varnish for various purposes...but especially for coating electrical windings etc. in motors...They began their company in 1910

http://www.dolphs.com/dolphs_about.cfm

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 May 12 22:40 BST (UK) »
Justine, he might have been a ragman, exchanging Delft for rags. With the horse & cart, a la Steptoe. The call here in Glasgow, and I'm sure it must have reached the purlieus of Dunbartonshire, was "Elfy Delfy, ----- for rags", usually accompanied by an impromptu bugle recital.

Skoosh.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 May 12 14:34 BST (UK) »
Really Skoosh? Is that in living memory? I can vaguely remember rag and bone men in Bristol, but no cries as such.

I love things like that!

:)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 May 12 22:51 BST (UK) »
Very much Arranroots, maybe until the 60s. These ragmen hired the horse & cart by the day then sold the days take to the ragstore. There was one case in Blackhill where the carter (cairter) was too late in returning the hire to the yard and the place was shut. He took it home to the tenemented abode, unhitched the horse and took it up the stairs to the flat. It spent the night in the lobby. Had he left it in the street it would never have been seen again.
Halcyon days!

Skoosh.