Author Topic: Windas of Los Angeles - and Captain Jack  (Read 2601 times)

Offline leccy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Families are funny things
    • View Profile
Re: Windas of Los Angeles - and Captain Jack
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 August 09 09:15 BST (UK) »
Lisa, you're amazing! A complete stranger requests and you scour the internet.

May Jane nee Fraser is indeed Cedric's wife, so there's a confirmation. I'm going to take a punt and say the Jack M is my Mervyn.

It's all a bit recent so I guess unless a family member happens by I'll have to be satisfied with that

Cheers

L.  :)

Tillett, Ludlow, Trevelion, Abbott, Williams, Thomas, Windas, Cooke of Australia

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 August 09 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Leccy:

I don't believe I mentioned it earlier - welcome to RootsChat.

Perhaps someone else might be able to find out if the boys ever married and if they had children.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it happens.

Have you tried google or another search engine for the family?  There are a few things (nothing to help your research) regarding the Windas'.  I did not search for a May Jane, though, as I thought her name was Mary Jane.  There's a chance that you might be able to find something about her.

I would think that Jack M is Mervyn.  He is listed as Jack M. R. on the 1930 census.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 August 09 15:48 BST (UK) »
I found over 30 articles on newspaperarchive.com (a subscription site) that mention Captain Jack Windas in relation to sailing ships.  I also found an article there from the Long Beach California Independent from 3 Aug. 1943 that says that Police Lieutenant Wilford A. Windas shot and killed a man and wounded 3 others at a riot at the Palos Verdes Country Club in July.  It says that the deceased threw a chair at Wilford.  An 8 Aug. 1943 edition of the same paper says Wilford was acquitted by a coronor's jury and said he acted in self defense.  An 8 Aug. 1943 edition of the Oakland Tribune says that Wilford was acquitted and he was in the hospital recovering from his wounds.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 August 09 19:22 BST (UK) »
WWI Draft Registration Card
Cedric Wilford Windas
2415 109th Ave., Oakland, Calif.
Born 4 Mar. 1888 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Citizen of Great Britain
Self-employed artist at 48 3rd. St., San Francisco
Married with a wife and 2 children under 12 yrs. old
Caucasian, tall, medium build, brown eyes, dark brown hair
Prior military service in Victoria Rank in Australia for 1 1/6 years, rank - private
Does not claim exemption from the draft.

Cedric Wilford Windas, 1888-1966, is in the Encyclopedia of American Biography, New Series, Vol 38, published by American Historical Society in 1968.  No further info given.

Looks like one of Cedric's paintings is in here:  http://www.k6aa.org/images/2008_10_October.pdf

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 August 09 20:10 BST (UK) »
There is an article in the Oakland Tribune from 12 Oct. 1917 that mentions Cedric W. Windas (among lots of others) being scheduled for a physical exam related to the draft.

I found an article in the New York Times from 1961 about Jack & it has a picture.  If you'd like me to e-mail it to you, send me your e-mail address in a private message.  I think you may need 1 more post to use the PM system.

Offline Rah todd

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 January 21 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I sailed on the SS President Roosevelt  captained by  Jack M. Windas from San Francisco to Manilla on July 10 thur August 5, 1969   Hope that helps

Offline jderosa

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 20:59 BST (UK) »
My great aunt Eleanor Britton sailed around the world in 1951 on the S.S. Pres. Polk captained by a Jack Windas.  She kept a detailed journal mentioning the Captain many times and always in a positive light.  He was a gentleman, a good dancer, well behaved to a fault, socially adept and generous.  He also officiated at Divine Services in lieu of a minister or priest, including on Christmas Day. His passengers included many diplomats but also very well known people from various walks of life.  I have written about Eleanor Britton on  http://eleanorbritton.blogspot.com/?view=magazine